2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

O2 sensors going rich randomly

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 06:26 PM
AnthonySmithx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensors going rich randomly

Hey guys I recently put a new 46re transmission in my 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l 4x4. Upon installing the transmission I went for a test drive. The truck wouldn’t go above 1k rpm without like backfiring, hesitation and bogging down. I’m not sure how to explain it. It was like a mixture with all of those. My co worker reset the PCM and I was able to drive it for about 4+ hours after that. I went on the highway and backroads and stuff and everything was good. I parked the truck in my driveway for the night. The next morning when I went to go back to work it started doing it again. I had to take the side streets to work because I work and live in town. Luckily my work is about 8 mins away. We reset the pcm again. And I was able to drive it. I drove it to my personal shop and parked it. That’s where it’s been for about 2 weeks. I’ve checked all grounds and connections. I’m also 19 and still learning so I’m not sure what to check next. I’m not sure if a bad torque converter would cause this or not. I’ve replaced the upstream 02 sensor because I got a code for it. When we use the scan tool and floor it. It’s popping and the upstream 02 sensor is reading really rich. Could it be an exhaust leak that’s causing the o2 to read bad and marking it add more fuel or more air then it needs too?

Old 04-01-2020, 06:46 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonySmithx
Hey guys I recently put a new 46re transmission in my 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l 4x4. Upon installing the transmission I went for a test drive. The truck wouldn’t go above 1k rpm without like backfiring, hesitation and bogging down. I’m not sure how to explain it. It was like a mixture with all of those. My co worker reset the PCM and I was able to drive it for about 4+ hours after that. I went on the highway and backroads and stuff and everything was good. I parked the truck in my driveway for the night. The next morning when I went to go back to work it started doing it again. I had to take the side streets to work because I work and live in town. Luckily my work is about 8 mins away. We reset the pcm again. And I was able to drive it. I drove it to my personal shop and parked it. That’s where it’s been for about 2 weeks. I’ve checked all grounds and connections. I’m also 19 and still learning so I’m not sure what to check next. I’m not sure if a bad torque converter would cause this or not. I’ve replaced the upstream 02 sensor because I got a code for it. When we use the scan tool and floor it. It’s popping and the upstream 02 sensor is reading really rich. Could it be an exhaust leak that’s causing the o2 to read bad and marking it add more fuel or more air then it needs too?
Bad sensor or the engine is getting to much fuel

Old 04-02-2020, 06:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

When you swapped the trans, what did you do with the crank sensor? If you left it in place, I think that's the first thing I would look at. Also, make sure you didn't pinch a harness between the engine and trans.

Old 04-05-2020, 03:29 PM
AnthonySmithx

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Bad sensor or the engine is getting to much fuel
I went and picked up another sensor. Same thing happened. What would cause too much fuel

Old 04-05-2020, 03:31 PM
AnthonySmithx

Originally Posted by HeyYou
When you swapped the trans, what did you do with the crank sensor? If you left it in place, I think that's the first thing I would look at. Also, make sure you didn't pinch a harness between the engine and trans.
I replaced the new crank sensor. And I checked the harness that goes down the backside and over the trans. Everything looks good and nothing pinched in between

Old 04-05-2020, 03:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

New crank sensor? What brand? These trucks REALLY don't like aftermarket sensors in critical locations.

Is the check engine lite on when it is running like crap? Getting any codes??

Old 04-05-2020, 05:02 PM
AnthonySmithx

New crank sensor? What brand? These trucks REALLY don't like aftermarket sensors in critical locations.

Is the check engine lite on when it is running like crap? Getting any codes??
BWD I believe. And no. No codes no lights

Old 04-05-2020, 05:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Change that sensor. Get a genuine mopar sensor. You can google search the part number, and get it cheaper online rather than from the dealer. Think I would address that first, and see if it didn't solve your problems. The rich condition might be induced by the engine misfiring..... so, it's a symptom, rather than a cause.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:02 PM
AnthonySmithx

Change that sensor. Get a genuine mopar sensor. You can google search the part number, and get it cheaper online rather than from the dealer. Think I would address that first, and see if it didn't solve your problems. The rich condition might be induced by the engine misfiring..... so, it's a symptom, rather than a cause.
dang lol. That sensor was harder to change then the whole transmission but okay I’ll do that

Old 04-05-2020, 07:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah. They pay me extra to make your life miserable ya know. (kidding.....)

Let us know if that works.

Quick Reply: O2 sensors going rich randomly