2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2 in body lift. What I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 02:03 AM
Jon Johnston
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 in body lift. What I need to know?

I got new tires. 315/70 R17. They rub so I'm doing a 2in body lift. Need to know what is all involved in doing a body lift. I did the bed with no problems. No tight wires.
doing the cab now. Did the back of cab with no problems. But when doing the front I noticed a couple of wires pulled out of a plug and also the truck rolls. So it's not in gear now. When it was in park when I started. So I know I need to adjust the shift linkage now.
other qwestions.
Do I need to adjust the steering shaft? What about the brake lines? What size gears should I run?

I replaced the leaf springs to the 2500lb each side. leveled the front springs. Aftermarket control arms for more tire clearance. 2in wheel spacers. Rancho shocks and steering damper. Added the steering gear support bar the brace with the bearing for the end of the steering bolt that bolts to the pitman arm.

Old 01-18-2022, 11:00 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon Johnston
I got new tires. 315/70 R17. They rub so I'm doing a 2in body lift. Need to know what is all involved in doing a body lift. I did the bed with no problems. No tight wires.
doing the cab now. Did the back of cab with no problems. But when doing the front I noticed a couple of wires pulled out of a plug and also the truck rolls. So it's not in gear now. When it was in park when I started. So I know I need to adjust the shift linkage now.
other qwestions.
Do I need to adjust the steering shaft? What about the brake lines? What size gears should I run?

I replaced the leaf springs to the 2500lb each side. leveled the front springs. Aftermarket control arms for more tire clearance. 2in wheel spacers. Rancho shocks and steering damper. Added the steering gear support bar the brace with the bearing for the end of the steering bolt that bolts to the pitman arm.
Most body lifts come with a steering extender, fan shroud brackets, and mine came with straps to extending some grounds.

Old 01-18-2022, 02:49 PM
Jon Johnston
Rookie
Default Body lift

I got mine at a pick-n-pull. So I don't have all the extra stuff I guess I should of got. Just the bolts and the blocks.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:20 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I got mine at a pick-n-pull. So I don't have all the extra stuff I guess I should of got. Just the bolts and the blocks.
You sure are missing some things

Old 01-20-2022, 11:58 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I removed the body lift that was in my 99 v10 when I got it. Best thing I did. when we went to set the box down we discovered it had banana'd a couple inches so we had to gently bend it back starting with longer bolts at each end an slowly tightening them. But yes there was bumper brackets, fan shroud brackets, t-case shifter extensions, ground extensions, steering shaft extension, filler neck extension, and probably something else I am forgetting.

Old 01-20-2022, 12:41 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by adukart
I removed the body lift that was in my 99 v10 when I got it. Best thing I did. when we went to set the box down we discovered it had banana'd a couple inches so we had to gently bend it back starting with longer bolts at each end an slowly tightening them. But yes there was bumper brackets, fan shroud brackets, t-case shifter extensions, ground extensions, steering shaft extension, filler neck extension, and probably something else I am forgetting.
Why do you say "best thing I did"

Old 01-21-2022, 09:22 AM
adukart
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Why do you say "best thing I did"
Truck handled better afterwards and with the box sitting on the frame it didn't flex as much off road. It's kept my box corners from tearing anymore at the top. There is very little support for the box with the body lift in, only 6 pucks and none in the middle section (why mine was banana'd a little) where as it sits on the frame and cross members stock.

Old 01-29-2022, 05:21 PM
Jon Johnston
Rookie

You sure are missing some things
I don't have the the bumper relocating brackets. But I made my own shift rod extension. That goes over the end of the rod. With two bolts that tighten down on the rod. Came out really solid. Haven't looked at the transfer case shifter yet. I can buy the bumper brackets soon. So I am good to go. Tire has rubbed a bit just on one side as I still need to replace the ball joint with an offset one on that side.

Old 01-29-2022, 11:53 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I don't have the the bumper relocating brackets. But I made my own shift rod extension. That goes over the end of the rod. With two bolts that tighten down on the rod. Came out really solid. Haven't looked at the transfer case shifter yet. I can buy the bumper brackets soon. So I am good to go. Tire has rubbed a bit just on one side as I still need to replace the ball joint with an offset one on that side.
transfer case doesn't get extended. Just loosen the adjustment bolt if it mounts to the body (98-01)

Old 01-31-2022, 04:16 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

transfer case doesn't get extended. Just loosen the adjustment bolt if it mounts to the body (98-01)
The shifter does get an extension otherwise it sits way low in the cab.

Quick Reply: 2 in body lift. What I need to know?