2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

BiomedBob’s 01 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 11:41 PM
BiomedBob
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Congrats! On multiple fronts.

What kind of shape are your headlight housings in? If they are yellowed, then the LMC harness won't help much. Cleaning them is an option, but, replacement works better.
I put in new depot housings last fall when I did the sport conversion. My brother says I should throw in some 80w hella bulbs to get the max of the system. I’m debating making my own harness or getting the ce uto one to have dual low and high beams.

Old 10-31-2023, 08:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Originally Posted by BiomedBob
I put in new depot housings last fall when I did the sport conversion. My brother says I should throw in some 80w hella bulbs to get the max of the system. I’m debating making my own harness or getting the ce uto one to have dual low and high beams.
Keep in mind that federal law limits output of headlights used on the roads.

Old 10-31-2023, 07:39 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by BiomedBob
Back in the day I used to run 80/120 headlights and 150 spotlights (not on a 2nd Gen).
But today with plastic housings/lenses I don’t know I’d venture too much above stock.
You’d be able to use higher output with LED’s for the same heat.
How much heat will the plastic housing/lens take before they start to puddle on the bumper?

Old 11-01-2023, 06:36 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

Get clear lens housings and retrofit modern day projectors.

Old 11-02-2023, 07:27 PM
BiomedBob
Amateur

You guys have given me some good points to think about. Putting all this work into preventing melting my wiring harness only to end up melting my housings seems counter productive. I may look into the led route. Does anyone have a LED headlight they recommend?

The new baby has me reconnecting with lots of family and friends. One friend has an auto recycler friend who says he may have a bumper for me. I’ve also wanted a ladder rack around my camper shell and he is one for an 06 Chevy. Any clue if it would fit? He doesn’t have measurements and is two hours away. I don’t wanna drive that far for nothing.

Old 11-02-2023, 07:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ladder rack likely mounts in the same place your camper shell will want to. I think that's gonna be one, or the other, but not both.

Old 11-02-2023, 08:14 PM
BiomedBob
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ladder rack likely mounts in the same place your camper shell will want to. I think that's gonna be one, or the other, but not both.
Normally yes. But I’m after something like this.

https://rackitinc.com/pages/3000-ser...teel-pipe-rack

My old boss had something like this on his truck and it was the cats meow. He could load up extra long lumber for projects without a long bed. He was also an avid outdoors man so for camping he had it all set up with an awning off it, his kayak on top, and he still could sleep in the back if he needed or have it full of gear. It’s really a want more than a need so I’m not trying to throw money just to have one, but if one came along for the right price I won’t say no.

Old 11-03-2023, 06:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

That would work. Protect the cap too.

Old 11-07-2023, 07:43 PM
BiomedBob
Amateur

I went and looked at the bumper and while in great shape, they wanted over $300 for it! The bumper is going to wait. I also looked at the ladder rack and it was too narrow in the back. However, as luck would have it, i found one for sale nearby. I grabbed it this afternoon. Here’s the rough fit.

I need to get more gasket material to fill in the gap and cut my bed liner to have my clamps fit. But I am very happy with the look.

Old 11-18-2023, 05:50 PM
BiomedBob
Amateur

Hey guys a quick update. Been pretty busy the last week. Our family has been chosen to house the holidays this year. I’m grateful as driving all over the state with a newborn is never fun but the wife has kicked it into high gear getting the house ready. While making a dump run I found stashed in a corner the air dam I never put on when doing the front bumper. I had a few minutes last night and bolted it on.

Something else I forgot to mention. If you look at my photos from the front bumper replacement, my front and rear license plates are different numbers. I didn’t notice. When I bought the truck, I found the front plate under the seat and only assumed it was for the front bumper. Well we all know what happens when we assumed. Over the summer I got pulled over by a local police officer saying he noticed my front plate wasn’t for a commercial vehicle. Well some fast talking by me and an understanding officer let me go with a warning. I got new plates front and rear. Lesson learned, though hopefully not something I’ll be involved in again.

I’ve been down a rabbit hole looking at new headlights. While out of my price range today, some hid headlights would solve any and all headlight output issues. Is there any thoughts on retroshop or the HID factory?

Quick Reply: BiomedBob’s 01 Ram