2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What kind of new muffler should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 06:18 PM
schmidtp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of new muffler should I get?

Hi,
I want to get a new muffler for my truck and just need some suggestions. I dont have the money for a whole new exaust system and I dont think that I need it. But I have an intake and would like a new muffler to make it sound better. I dont want one of thoes where it is just constantly loud, but it just sounds beastly when its idleing and when you open up the throtte it sounds fricken amazing. My friend has a restored 66 fastback mustang and I would like my truck to sounds even more beastly than his mustang, cause that would be cool. I dont really want to spend over $40 so one under that would be cool. So basically Im just wondering what brand and kind of muffler I should get.
Thanks,
Patrick

Old 05-26-2007, 07:44 PM
MiaTurbo
Professional
Default RE: What kind of new muffler should I get?

I have a 40-series Flowmaster and I love the sound. Do you have duel tailpipes?

Old 05-26-2007, 08:58 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. look in your phone book and just call all exhaust shop around ur area for cosmetic duals it just a muffller with two exits for the look of duals and soundsalright
2. spend a lil more money on a flowmaster or magnaflow exhaust with the 2 exits for duals and it will sound great.
ive got a flowmaster exhaust w/ 3" tips and when it ides it sounds mean and when i get on it it sounds like a beast so i suggest spend a lil more money and get what is better....

Old 05-26-2007, 11:14 PM
2001mustang_gt
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

flowmaster super 44!!!!!!

Old 05-27-2007, 12:23 AM
2big2dodge
Professional

i have the original flowmaster 40 series with it dumped off in front of the passenger rear tire, and i love it. such a deep deep sound and has a lil throaty rumble when u let off of it.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:21 AM
whiteram00
Captain

i have no muffler right now runned out in front of the rear pass tire an it gets pretty loud,but i want a little more of a rumble sound,alot of ppl is using raven mufflers around here,thats what ill pob get,ive heard a few rams an they sounded real good with them

Old 05-27-2007, 11:09 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

for sounds:

http://members.tripod.com/~racetruck/muffler.html

Old 06-01-2007, 01:16 AM
schmidtp
Veteran

alright, i was just going to build my own exasust tips, i was thinking about 2 tips coming out before the passenger tire. So i just wanted a different muffler so it sounded better. thanks for the help!

Old 06-01-2007, 04:04 AM
ShadowRango

I don't know if you've made a decision yet, but I'm a big fan of magnaflow. They might be a bit more spendy, but they are stainless steel and won't rust out like some of the flowmasters. Also, unlikethe flowmaster chambered design (sorry FM guys not bashingyour mufflers,I justREALLY like mine)magnaflow and borla-another good performance muffler- area straight through design thatflow really well. I've had mine for 2 years now and haven't had a single person tell me it was loud or obnoxious, and I've had everyone from myfriends to my grandma riding with me. Now, keep in mind I don't floor it with everyone I drive with LOL. It gets pretty mean sounding when I stomp on the gas, especially with an open air intake. I made a video a while back:

http://media.putfile.com/Davids-Durango

Dislaimer- the smoke show at the end was kind of a joke from another forum, it's not intended to be impressive in any way (hence the "woot" part).

Old 06-29-2008, 02:13 AM
fischer1399

well so far everyone likes the flowmasters and magnaflows. but if you want your truck to be louder and meaner than that fastback stang, i guarantee you, if anything will do it its gonna be a glass pack. cheap, loud, and a big head turner. a friend of mine has a cherry bomb glasspack on his chevy 1500 with the 305 V8 in it. multiple times people have asked him what size engine is in cause it sounds so loud and powerful. it is loud outside the truck and you can hear it coming from about a quarter mile away if there is nothing blockin the sound like buildings. but from the interior of the truck its not too loud, so your able to still carry on a conversation without yellin on the phone or with passengers or you can still listen to the radio without blowing all your speakers. cherry bomb glasspacks run from 30 bucks up to 45 bucks from jegs.com. thrush glasspacks are a little cheaper, but from what i've heard, they dont have the same rumble to them. if they were legal i would tell you to run flowtech purple hornies glasspack header mufflers, but with no cat, and no pipe at all, they are just way too loud to be legal.

Quick Reply: What kind of new muffler should I get?