2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

can a 2nd gen handle???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 03:59 AM
heybuddy1901
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: can a 2nd gen handle???

haha u assumed right!
i forgot to mention that i was going to scope out manual trans that could take the repeated beating and probably swap that in, its still in the planning and development stages, so things like this are a good thing to hear =]

lots and lots of options.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:55 AM
froesen
Professional

sweet, keep us updated, not usually a fan of a dropped truck but mostly because it's done for looks only with lost performance or to put hydraulics in....i just don't see the point. keep in mind also that you'll loose all your gauges without a lot of rewiring, and i think (not positive on this one) that the alternator's voltage reg is internal to the pcm, might have to figure something out there also. A/C compressor clutch functions are also, again i think, through the pcm so that it can be shut off at WOT, along with a whole bunch of other electrical oddities. you're pretty much giong to end up rewiring half the truck to eliminate the pcm, so good luck...make sure you get yourself a good wiring diagram and learn how to read it, it'll save your life!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:06 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

yea, as far as trans goes a good 4spd stick would be your best bet. theres no need for overdrive on a track. 4speeds give you the best selection of gearing. allowing you to choose the best onedepending upon the speed your going into/out of the corner and the distance of your straightaway ahead. a 3speed would be a decent choice as well, but not as effective as a 4 as far as ratios go, though the added benifit of a 3 speed is less rotating mass. That would be another big factor in going to a 4spd manual over a 5 or 6spd, less rotating mass, more power to the ground.

as far as the air suspension, its main purpose is for squating, not for cornering.

why dont you want to go with a s/c or tt setup? would that put you in a diffrent class or something? If your looking for scca events, i believe their classes are determined by weight or time; i could be wrong, but thats how i remember it.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:48 PM
JarheadX
All Star

just my two cents...why would you make a truck handle good, it just does not add up...buy a miata

Old 07-05-2007, 11:14 PM
cdusthockey
Veteran

^ i 2nd that. i love the slop i have in my steering and also not always knowing where my truck will pull or push me while out on the road.

Quick Reply: can a 2nd gen handle???