2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

can a 2nd gen handle???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:27 PM
heybuddy1901
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can a 2nd gen handle???

ok, hear me out before the bashing begins..
i know you all must think im crazy but i want to make my 2nd gen into a full blown track truck..

SO.

i have heard/read that the belltech 2x4 kit is a pretty good set-up with some drop shocks.

i havent seen any other companies out there that make quality products for my '96 SLT

how much does this improve handling?? id like to only do the suspension once.

and what would you reccomend as far as some stiffer springs for the front? stock?? or is there something better??

also whats the widest tire that will fit in the wells with an 18" rim??

and one FINAL question that is sorta off topic..
these trucks dont have a bunch of fancy pants computers in them right? only one???
cause that needs to go when the carbed 427 goes in...

thanks in advance

-Heybuddy

Old 07-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Pyromanaron
Professional
Default RE: can a 2nd gen handle???

Holy crap!! Sounds great. If you have 4 wheel drive keep it, it'll get you off the line quicker. Thats about all I know, I'm not too swift on suspension.

If they can't dodge, ram em!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:48 PM
heybuddy1901
Professional

yeah im thinkin 500 h/p in a 4000lb.(hopefully) truck should be a kick *** set-up
and my friends dad has a buisness account with summit so i may be able to do this for cheap =]

and unfortunatly i dont have 4whl drive, but that should make things easier in the long run for doing this.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:06 AM
Tani1500
Champion

rmindy drags his truck, i dont remeber but he's in like what, the 12's now or something. look him up

Old 07-03-2007, 12:08 AM
spaz_22
Captain

track truck as in strip drag racing? or circle track? The widest tire you can fit depends on the offset of your rim but you can definitely fit a 315 or a 325 maybe even wider very easily. As for the drop kit, if it's for the strip this kit will do very good. But if it's for turning, i'd try to find something a little better with progressive springs, unless the other kit already has them. Youmay need to do a custom setup. And yes, there is only one pcm in the dodge 2nd gens

Old 07-03-2007, 12:16 AM
heybuddy1901
Professional

yeah yeah sorry guys

its for turns, not the strip, although it may see the strip once in awhile but will be a solid turning truck.

so the belltechs dont do so well in the twisties??

and i havent seen anything universal like a coil-over kit =\

time to bust out the welder i guess

Old 07-03-2007, 12:28 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

2 big problems i see in your idea...though a very neet and unique idea at that.

#1, bringing your truck to 4000 lbs would require a lot of weight reduction from the rear of the truck (Im about 4200 right now i believe, and most of the diffrence is the rear) So if you plan on doing any cornering you will have an EXTREEEEEMLY unballanced vehicle for the power your planning on putting out.

#2, carbs are very good for making power, but theres nothing like fuel injection on a circle/course motor. In turns the centrifical forces on the fuel being dumped into the intake cause it to be pushed to one side or another and starving one half of the motor. Now if you decided that individuial carbs for each cylender, or for every other on each side like ferrari did back in the day, that would be a more appropriate route. (even dual 4's, one for each bank like the hemis of old, were devoloped for nascar, would be a good route)

If your looking for an amazingly quick responsive handeling vehicle while retaining amazing daily driving charisterics consider the setup I have, 275/60/17 kumho stx (V rated) (I had 285 60 17 W rated which handled MUCH MUCH better, but they were too expensive to keep me in tires 175vs105 per)with billstein hd shocks. I can turn on a dime stop amuch greater distance shorter than factory tires and factory shocks, even at a factory ride hight. Im not telling this to you to discourage you, but to help you in taking all things into consideration. Iv gotten myself in too deep with no where to go too many times, and I wish I had thought some aspects of things out further. Either way, good luck with the project, sounds cool. (PS. a fiberglass hood would help to even the weight dist. as well as lower weight.)

Old 07-03-2007, 12:36 AM
heybuddy1901
Professional

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

2 big problems i see in your idea...though a very neet and unique idea at that.

#1, bringing your truck to 4000 lbs would require a lot of weight reduction from the rear of the truck (Im about 4200 right now i believe, and most of the diffrence is the rear) So if you plan on doing any cornering you will have an EXTREEEEEMLY unballanced vehicle for the power your planning on putting out.

#2, carbs are very good for making power, but theres nothing like fuel injection on a circle/course motor. In turns the centrifical forces on the fuel being dumped into the intake cause it to be pushed to one side or another and starving one half of the motor. Now if you decided that individuial carbs for each cylender, or for every other on each side like ferrari did back in the day, that would be a more appropriate route. (even dual 4's, one for each bank like the hemis of old, were devoloped for nascar, would be a good route)

If your looking for an amazingly quick responsive handeling vehicle while retaining amazing daily driving charisterics consider the setup I have, 275/60/17 kumho stx (V rated) (I had 285 60 17 W rated which handled MUCH MUCH better, but they were too expensive to keep me in tires 175vs105 per)with billstein hd shocks. I can turn on a dime stop amuch greater distance shorter than factory tires and factory shocks, even at a factory ride hight. Im not telling this to you to discourage you, but to help you in taking all things into consideration. Iv gotten myself in too deep with no where to go too many times, and I wish I had thought some aspects of things out further. Either way, good luck with the project, sounds cool. (PS. a fiberglass hood would help to even the weight dist. as well as lower weight.)
thanks for your input =]

would lowering it even help or would this be putting me in the wrong direction?

and i was turning to another motor because i havent seen alot of N/A products for the 5.9
since i dont want to run it on race gas i dont want to get into too high of a compression but a bore/stroke could work
it just seems to get even 450 h/p N/A out of these motors takes alot of work.

and about the weight. this wont be my DD for long after i start the project. so everything that doesnt have a purpose is coming out.
the A/C will take alot of the weight off of the front too =] along with other things such as seats, interior, wiring harness, etc.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:38 AM
Scottr1110
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u can get a the 5.9 bored out to 408 easy if u look they might have a air suspension set up somewhere dont know though

Old 07-03-2007, 02:45 AM
froesen
Professional

assuming your truck is an auto: you have one big problem with removing the pcm, and that is trans control. your '96 has a 46RE trans which has a computer controlledpulse-width modulatedgovernor solenoid. this is no good for what you want. if you're planning on putting out that kind of power you're going to have to build a good, solid trans anyways, so get a 46RH (94/95 rams and vans) and have it built up; you'll still have to do something about lockup and OD as those are solenoid controlled as well, but that's a simple on/off circuit, and i've seen circuit designs which allow those to be controlled automatically. The RH's have a mechanical/hydraulic governor, which is what you'll need to use. Then you'll have all sorts of other electrical gremlins. if i were you, for the reasons indyram listed and more, i'd stick with fuel injection and get your computer programmed. your other option if you want to eliminate the PCM and aren't worried about highway fuel economy is to put a 727 in, there are conversion kits available to do this from several places including www.smrtrans.com. boy am i gonna feel dumb if you have a stick...

Quick Reply: can a 2nd gen handle???