2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hollowed conv.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 08:18 PM
FFFD827
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hollowed conv.

Have any of you simply hollowed out your converter and re-installed is. Im a welder so it would be nothing for me to remove and split it i could clean it out weld it back togeather and put it back in. has anyone tried this yet to see how it works???

Old 07-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: hollowed conv.

I think most people do this. And it works like a champ.

Only bitch is if you have emissions testing where you live.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:30 PM
OlsenG_360
Professional

I'm sure some people have done it, i'm not sure if anyone would "officially" admit to it however. If i was going to do it and had no welding knowledge or skill *ahem* i'd unbolt the exhaust at the front of the muffler and remove it, then it's almost a perfectly straight shot into the cat from there, a piece of rebar or steel fence post *might* work as a battering ram with a hammer for persuasion. Of course I'd pull both the O2 sensors out first to avoid damaging them. A few good knocks on the sides of the cat should work to loosen up the catalyst, and a good spirited run down the interstate without a muffler should evacuate what's loose inside the case. may take a few cycles of this to get everything out.

Again, I would never recommend that someone breaks the law, but if it was a matter of my cat being plugged up and the truck not runningwell enough to get me to work the next day...these instructions might look pretty tempting.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:34 PM
FFFD827
Professional

Thanks guys. would it bother the o2 sensors at all after they were re-installed would they give a code?

Old 07-30-2007, 08:47 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might get a code because the o2 sencers arnt sencing a diffrance pre and post cat but you can get an o2 simulator to put on ther to make it think its diffrent

Old 07-30-2007, 09:36 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, OlsenG,
Maybe you should post that how to on Steve's DIY list. LOL

Old 07-31-2007, 12:56 PM
Redneck2345
Veteran

ehh, I had a hollowed out cat for awhile, and hollow cat and no mufflers = FREAKIN LOUD!! I got pulled over 3 times within a couple months, and 2 times were within a week. I'd honestly leave the cat on, if your trying to get preformance by hollowing it out, if you do gain anything it'll only be 2-3 horses, and thats a big if

Old 07-31-2007, 03:28 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

I've considered doing this myself because lately I've been having hell with my cat. Most of the time the truck runs fine, but sometimes you crank it up and you can't get any revs and the exhaust sounds like it's been caped. I've looked around and a replacement cat is kinda expensive. So if I gut my cat what would it hurt if I didn't get an O2 sim and just left the original sensors alone? If it could do damage to my truck I won't do it. I'll just order a new Magnaflow cat from summitt or something.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:51 PM
rtmorrisjr
Captain

ORIGINAL: Dodgeboy328

I've considered doing this myself because lately I've been having hell with my cat. Most of the time the truck runs fine, but sometimes you crank it up and you can't get any revs and the exhaust sounds like it's been caped. I've looked around and a replacement cat is kinda expensive. So if I gut my cat what would it hurt if I didn't get an O2 sim and just left the original sensors alone? If it could do damage to my truck I won't do it. I'll just order a new Magnaflow cat from summitt or something.
Its only going to give you a CEL. If you can live with it fine, if not, you can buy a sim for it and the light will go away.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:48 PM
Fox Fader
Captain

I've hollowed out a cat on my Bronco back in 2000-01 and 1 1/2 years ago on my Toyota P/U,
it won't hurt the truck at all, but it does give the tunneled sound in that area.ALSO I believe is worse on exhaust
flow than having a properly working cat.
Our cats bolt on right?
If you weld, I'd cut the flanges off and weld them to the proper length/size pipe, bolt it back inand be done with it.
A shop did this on my 300ZX back in '91-92, worked perfect.

Quick Reply: hollowed conv.