2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 12:53 AM
jasonjuch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another grinding noise

I went 4 wheeling on just a dirt road with some bumps in it and a moderatly dry field yesterday and mesed up something. Now when im in 2 wheel drive and start from a stop i hear a grinding noise only when im on the gas and starting to accelerate but theres no noise when im at a good speed. The grinding sounds like its from the trasfer case and maybe the shifter just isnt seated properly in 2 wheel drive? When i start slow and keep accelerating reall slow i can wait for the noise and let of the gas and just get it up to speed and i hear no noise. From other posts they say a vacume swith might make that happen? But mine is only when it starts up. Any knowledge??????

Im planning to change all the fluids tomorow and maybe check out the shift linkage adjustment and thats all the Haynes Repair Manual says i can do. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:51 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Another grinding noise

STOP - don't drive it.
if you have a noise from the transfer case you should stop driving it, as it may quickly go from minor to major $$$. i'm not an expert but a common failure is a snap ring that lets the shafts start flopping around, which then eats up everything else. in the link below, reman t-cases are around $1,000. so don't make yours worse if you can help it.

here's a link Hank posted for a heavy duty snap ring replacement. looks like an easy 'on the truck' repair.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_901176/tm.htm

the web site is pretty sloppy with a lot of broken links, but if you go directly to here http://www.drivetrain.com/
it navigates a little better. they have some good diagrams and info.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:57 AM
jasonjuch

ok thanks. im going to check the snap ring out right now since that makes since. When its in 2 wheel drive then everythings loose because of that so it grindes but in 4 wheel everything is meshed together better so the grinding stops.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:48 AM
jasonjuch

I FOUND IT. of course it was that snap ring. Thanks for the help. Ill just go down and buy another stock one to get it running then upgrade to the heavy duty later. Thanks a lot

Thats an easy thing to check too. I just removed the rear drive shaft and 4 skrews and the ring fell right out in my hand.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:10 PM
jasonjuch

Is there a way to delete this thread now that i have the problem fixed or does it just stay on the site?

Old 08-01-2007, 03:05 PM
rtmorrisjr
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it stays on the site. its a good thing tho. now when someone searches for a problem like this they can easily access the answer.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:12 PM
froesen
Professional

just make sure you put a little rtv on the tailshaft housing on reassembly, which is what's done from factory, that whole tcase is rtv'd or something similar. I put one of those tcase saver rings in, very easy to do, and there's no way that it would break, make sure you use the locktite too, one of those bolts backing out on the collar would cause just as many problems!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:30 PM
jasonjuch

so you just bought the transfer case saver from the same link that is posted above? Can it be purchased from a place like Auto-Zone? I went to every store in the city even transmission shops and no one except the dealer could even order the snap ring so right now $7 later I have one coming tomorow morning at the dealer but hopefully soon i can upgrade it to the heavy duty snap ring. But since the snap ring is the weakest part, if you replace it with a heavier duty one do you think another part in the Tcase will break instead of the snap ring. Its a pretty cheap fix as it is now if you catch it in time.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:43 PM
jasonjuch

The transfer case saver is $64.99 on this site
http://quad4x4.com/Dodge%20Transfer%20Case%20Parts.htm

And only $39.29 on this site
http://www.drivetrain.com/gillies/Tcasesaver.html
-it looks like a good deal to save having to rebuild the t-case

Old 08-03-2007, 09:26 PM
jasonjuch

How do i insert this new snap ring? do i just push it on really hard or should i dissasemble parts in order to put it on. I dont want to bend or break it.

Quick Reply: Another grinding noise