2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Possible Tranny Issue, mechanics opinions wanted!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 05:01 PM
MauiBuiltTJB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Tranny Issue, mechanics opinions wanted!!

Hey, I'm a new member here. I have a 94 Ram 2500 and I've had it for about 2 months now. I haven't had any problems until really recently and I need some help. Recently, when I'm driving I'll hear like a crashing noise when I go around corners almost as if there is something in the truck bed rolling around, but of course there isn't. And then today while I was driving, I start to go up a pretty steep hill and as soon as I accelerate at all there is a terrible grinding under the hood. The same grinding sound you hear when you can't get a manual into gear. This is an automatic tranny. About a month ago the oil got low and one morning I started the truck up to the wonderful noise of a slight knock in the engine, I immediately added oil and it went away, and then last night when I first started the truck that knock was there again but the oil level was just fine. After about 15 minutes of having the engine started the knock went away again and I haven't heard it since. If these are clear cut signs of a specific problem I'd like to know what you guys might think they are. Any help is well appreciated, and much cheaper than taking it to the shop! Thanks guys!

Old 08-19-2007, 05:55 PM
2500 mopar
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Possible Tranny Issue, mechanics opinions wanted!!

When you say oil do you mean engine oil or transmission fliud? And where do you think the sound came from the engine or the transmission?

Old 08-19-2007, 06:01 PM
MauiBuiltTJB

ORIGINAL: 2500 mopar

When you say oil do you mean engine oil or transmission fliud? And where do you think the sound came from the engine or the transmission?
I mean engine oil. I don't even know if any of these things are connected. I honestly don't know enough about cars to know whether the sound came from the engine or the tranny. From inside the cab it sounds like it's coming from under the hood when it happens, when I back off the pedal the grinding stops. Sorry I can't be more help, if you have ideas that i can do to help narrow answers down I'd be glad to do what i can.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:18 PM
2500 mopar
Veteran

huh, try checking the transmission fluid.On my truck i have remote start and when i put the key in the steering column i some times i have the tendency to start the engine even though the engine is already started from the remote then i hear a grinding noise similiar to a manual transmission gear noise[:@], my thought is that your starter may be lodged and it takes a few minutes to unlodge itself, try starting the engine and if you can, which im not sure if you can look and see if the starter is still engaged. Sorry if that doesnt help [&:] .

Old 08-19-2007, 06:21 PM
MauiBuiltTJB

ORIGINAL: 2500 mopar

huh, try checking the transmission fluid.On my truck i have remote start and when i put the key in the steering column i some times i have the tendency to start the engine even though the engine is already started from the remote then i hear a grinding noise similiar to a manual transmission gear noise[:@], my thought is that your starter may be lodged and it takes a few minutes to unlodge itself, try starting the engine and if you can, which im not sure if you can look and see if the starter is still engaged. Sorry if that doesnt help [&:] .
I will try to check the tran fluid. I don't really know what to look for though when I am looking to see if the starter is engaged...

Old 08-19-2007, 06:25 PM
dishdude2k
Captain

well.. the knocking problem.. do an oil change.. put a heavier weight oil in it.. see if that helps the intermittant knocking... as far as the grind with stress going up hill.. check this out.. .look at your fan.. and check your motor mounts.. let it run.. and have someone rev the engine.. see if it 'rocks' .. if it does.. check the fan out.. make sure its not hitting the fan shroud.. that could be your 'grind' as far as the 'crashing' in the rear when you turn.. does it shake at all driving? or is it just the sound you hear in the bed... check spare tire.. and the spare tire mount.. make sure its tight.. also look at the springs and all the parts on the rear end.. grab hold of them.. make sure nothing moves..

Old 08-19-2007, 06:27 PM
MauiBuiltTJB

ORIGINAL: dishdude2k

well.. the knocking problem.. do an oil change.. put a heavier weight oil in it.. see if that helps the intermittant knocking... as far as the grind with stress going up hill.. check this out.. .look at your fan.. and check your motor mounts.. let it run.. and have someone rev the engine.. see if it 'rocks' .. if it does.. check the fan out.. make sure its not hitting the fan shroud.. that could be your 'grind' as far as the 'crashing' in the rear when you turn.. does it shake at all driving? or is it just the sound you hear in the bed... check spare tire.. and the spare tire mount.. make sure its tight.. also look at the springs and all the parts on the rear end.. grab hold of them.. make sure nothing moves..
Awesome, I will try to do as much of that as i can. Thanks so much!

Old 08-19-2007, 06:33 PM
2500 mopar
Veteran

you are probably going to have to go under the truck on the drivers side( may differ from model to model, but i dont think so) and you will look for the starter, it looks kinda like a pepsi can on its side but thicker, and it should have a amall gear comming out of it, which should be connected to where the transmission and the back of the engine meet, which is the flywheel. whether you can see this or not i am not sure there may be some sheilding around it, then see if they are enguaged when the engine is running, if they are thats your problem.Good Luck .

Old 08-19-2007, 09:14 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Where you in 4wd when this happened? The grinding noise can be the front axle not engaging all the way, or if it was already engaged a drop in vacuum (like when under heavy acceleration like you said you were) can cause the front axle to disconnect part way, it makes a nasty sound.

If you were in 4wd thats probably the problem!

Old 08-19-2007, 11:07 PM
dishdude2k
Captain

yes.. good point.. make sure 4wd is TOTALLY dis engaged.. this can cause a grinding... and could also probably cause your 'clunk' as well... my truck will make a little bit of noise when its in 4 low.. not too bad though.. but a vacuum leak will make it grind when it slips

ORIGINAL: Socha_62

Where you in 4wd when this happened? The grinding noise can be the front axle not engaging all the way, or if it was already engaged a drop in vacuum (like when under heavy acceleration like you said you were) can cause the front axle to disconnect part way, it makes a nasty sound.

If you were in 4wd thats probably the problem!

Quick Reply: Possible Tranny Issue, mechanics opinions wanted!!