2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The Keg Intake Modification Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 04:04 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: The Official Keg Intake Modification Thread

it will be as both runners get cut down the same. Look at the pics from Gary and I... the one pic I posted shows how I cut it at 1.5" down from the top of the runner, and tapered it back to the side of the manifold.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:06 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Hey Gary, you mentioned the Avengers doing a similar mod, are they sharing the same motor?

Old 09-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

Hey Gary, you mentioned the Avengers doing a similar mod, are they sharing the same motor?
No, they have some six-cylinder version. What threw me off when I saw their pics was the lack of a center plate. I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out how these guys were using a sawzall to cut down the runners until I saw the pics. I'm damned good with a sawzall, but the centerplate will screw you up.

Someday, I am going to upgrade to the MoPower rubber intake gaskets. When I do that, I'm thinking of taking out the centerplate.

I forgot to mention that when measuring down 1" and then coming back at an angle, YOU WILL end up cutting the runner down to the point where it blends with the body of the intake, as seen in the pics I posted.

DON'T LET THAT INTIMIDATE YOU!!!!

Just blend and go. As you can see, the further to the "center" you travel, the more "height" on the inner runners remains.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: VWandDodge
I forgot to mention that when measuring down 1" and then coming back at an angle, YOU WILL end up cutting the runner down to the point where it blends with the body of the intake, as seen in the pics I posted.

DON'T LET THAT INTIMIDATE YOU!!!!

Just blend and go. As you can see, the further to the "center" you travel, the more "height" on the inner runners remains.
Ya, that's what I was getting at. Ok, I guess that's ok then. I think I will do a 1" measurement. I'll mock it up with a Sharpie and post some pics as the next step.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Gary-L
Legend

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

Ya, that's what I was getting at. Ok, I guess that's ok then. I think I will do a 1" measurement. I'll mock it up with a Sharpie and post some pics as the next step.
Do that and I'll review them for you. I think you have the gist of it. A black, thin tipped sharpie works best.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:53 PM
BradBeyer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havea fewquestions:

[ol][*]What does this mod do for the engine?[*]Is there a reason you went with APS instead of Hughes?[*]What if I was to get a newer intake (after '97)would I stillwant to do any cutting?
[/ol]
I am getting ready to do my plenum also so I am staying up with this thread

Brad

Old 09-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Cutting down the runners (and centerplate) is supposed to help the engine breathe better on the top-end. If I were building my truck to haul ***, rather than cargo, I'd cut out the centerplate as well as cutting the runners down all the way.

From my experience, when I mash the pedal, the truck JUMPS. There seems to be no end to the upper limit even with my transmission that needs a rebuild.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:25 PM
BradBeyer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So since I haul a 19' boat to the lake every weekend (when it is not winter) then I would not want todo this mod?

Brad

Old 09-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Gary-L
Legend

ORIGINAL: BradBeyer

So since I haul a 19' boat to the lake every weekend (when it is not winter) then I would not want todo this mod?

Brad
If you have kept up with my threads, I haul an 18' dovetail with either scrap metal or cars from time to time. I think this mod has actually helped both the high end and mileage. I get ~16mpg empty and ~14.2mpg when loaded.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From what i've read, just cutting a little of the runners will improve both the low and top end. Taking the runners all the way down, and opening it up too much probably might hurt your bottom end a little (especially on the smaller cube 5.2), but it will make things better for sure on the top end.

I went with the APS kit because I know of Wayne from another forum, and he is a good guy. I support his business. I have also heard some negatives about Hughes (no personal experience with them though), so APS just seemed like the best choice for me. The kits are identical though, so it doesn't really matter.

Quick Reply: The Keg Intake Modification Thread