2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The Keg Intake Modification Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 08:50 PM
tresvatos
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum Plenum Replacement

Just curious if when replacing the Steel Plate to the Aluminum Plenum Plate if there is sufficient room to install some heat sinks on the plate, or a hollow " box " of aluminum maybe 1/2 inch thick to serve as a buffer from the hot engine to the intake belly. Very similar to an Airgap design, but on the kegger. If there is no room on the bottom of the plate would it be feasible to put a block on the top of the plate when installing the plate. This would soley be for the purpose of dampening the hot air from engine before it transfers to the intake on the via the aluminum plenum plate. If you are curious I am just getting the idea because of the results of the edelbrock airgap intake.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:00 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tresvatos
Just curious if when replacing the Steel Plate to the Aluminum Plenum Plate if there is sufficient room to install some heat sinks on the plate, or a hollow " box " of aluminum maybe 1/2 inch thick to serve as a buffer from the hot engine to the intake belly. Very similar to an Airgap design, but on the kegger. If there is no room on the bottom of the plate would it be feasible to put a block on the top of the plate when installing the plate. This would soley be for the purpose of dampening the hot air from engine before it transfers to the intake on the via the aluminum plenum plate. If you are curious I am just getting the idea because of the results of the edelbrock airgap intake.
I don't see that this would provide any help. Any heat that it absorbs would just be maintained against the plate. What would help dissipate the heat?

Old 12-24-2011, 09:13 PM
drewactual
Champion

it's my speculation that the air-gap doesn't provide but slightly cooler temperatures to the engine.. the keg does have a larger reserve (plenum), and the pan sits right on top of the lifter valley- but the amount of time air is in there isn't enough to cook it..

the air gap has a different flow characteristic.. the 'plenum', if you would, is the size of two decks or cards, roughly.. there is a separation between each bank (plane).. the concept is a less impeded flow characteristic..

now, on a similar subject: there is huge debates past and present about whether or not a 'turtle' benefits the keg.. it rests in the bottom of the plenum (on top of the pan) and therefor not only reduces the plenum's volume, but also provides transitions to the runners- which, in theory, allows for better flow.. the areas where air runs into a 'wall' creates areas of high pressure, and jacks with air flow.. this is a huge debate in other circles, and I have no clue about any merit or not of those turtles..

I have an air-gap.. I had a keg, and I briefly ran a modded keg.. The absolute biggest benefit of the a-g is a lack of plenum pan.. it will never blow a non-existent gasket... that said, it's a mighty expensive chunk of metal, and unless you're building for top end (which is kinda crazy for a truck), I'd rec you simply do the plenum fix and call it a day..

Old 12-24-2011, 09:16 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
it's my speculation that the air-gap doesn't provide but slightly cooler temperatures to the engine.. the keg does have a larger reserve (plenum), and the pan sits right on top of the lifter valley- but the amount of time air is in there isn't enough to cook it..

the air gap has a different flow characteristic.. the 'plenum', if you would, is the size of two decks or cards, roughly.. there is a separation between each bank (plane).. the concept is a less impeded flow characteristic..

now, on a similar subject: there is huge debates past and present about whether or not a 'turtle' benefits the keg.. it rests in the bottom of the plenum (on top of the pan) and therefor not only reduces the plenum's volume, but also provides transitions to the runners- which, in theory, allows for better flow.. the areas where air runs into a 'wall' creates areas of high pressure, and jacks with air flow.. this is a huge debate in other circles, and I have no clue about any merit or not of those turtles..

I have an air-gap.. I had a keg, and I briefly ran a modded keg.. The absolute biggest benefit of the a-g is a lack of plenum pan.. it will never blow a non-existent gasket... that said, it's a mighty expensive chunk of metal, and unless you're building for top end (which is kinda crazy for a truck), I'd rec you simply do the plenum fix and call it a day..
Even though I wasn't asking the question's, you've answered mine. Thanks

Old 12-25-2011, 10:59 AM
tresvatos
Professional
Default Plenum Plate

Great info on the plenum mods.-I will do some research on the " turtle ", but right now I was geared towards using a modded Kegger with cut down runners and center divider with a welded Plenum plate to eliminate the gasket. The turtle concept does sound interesting as to promote better dispersion of air flow within the intake.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:37 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tresvatos
Great info on the plenum mods.-I will do some research on the " turtle ", but right now I was geared towards using a modded Kegger with cut down runners and center divider with a welded Plenum plate to eliminate the gasket. The turtle concept does sound interesting as to promote better dispersion of air flow within the intake.
Do not run the divider. Dodge took the divider out after 1996 for a reason.

Also, I would not weld the plenum plate to the intake. You would need to get the aluminum plate anyway (can;t wend aluminum to steel) and aluminum is a pain to weld. ust get the Hughes plate and call it a day.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:18 AM
gdstock
Legend

But it would be interesting to see the result of a welded plate. The question has been asked several times........

Old 08-10-2014, 01:00 AM
Moparadict

I have done a keger mod on my 5.2 Dakota. It's a 92, so EGR unplugged and left bolted in.
I cut the Divider out, and cleaned it up. Port matched it. Knife edged the runners, about 3/4 " shortened at factory angle, and de shrouded the injectors some. Home ported the T.B and called it good. It is a FOR SURE improvement on the hwy, and above 2500 rpm. I would for a daily driver/mild performer, do it again on any others. I had dne exhaust to a single 3" with ported Gibson headers, hollowed cat, 1.7 Harland sharp rollers, and home build cold air intake earlier. All this may have allowed the keger intake to make a more substantial gain though. But the intake made no noticeable milage gain, or loss of low end.
All mods I did including a 3:90 rear gear,from 3:55s and electric fans have brought the fuel milage at 70 mph up to 24 mpg, from 16 mpg all stock. Small gains in all.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:57 AM
brian102
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i may resurrect this thread from the afterlife... i have a 97 318 parts truck and need to do the plenum on my 99 360. are the intakes the same?

Last edited by brian102; 03-12-2018 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

No, but, they'll swap. The 97 intake will likely have the center divider, and the provision for a second coolant temp sensor. Use all the electronics off the 99 intake. (including injectors.)

Quick Reply: The Keg Intake Modification Thread