2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Head Unit Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:24 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Unit Install

I remember seeing posts about people having problems installing there new head units (something about "infinity" or nother) Anyway I am looking to install a new head unit next weekend and need to know what to grab besides teh head unit obviously. Someone at circuit city said I had to get two adapters??? One to convert the two connections from stock, to a single generic connection, then one from the generic to the pioneer that I plan to buy. He was very vauge, but a friend said one of the adapters comes with the radio. I am just looking to get some things straight before I start buying stuff. On a side note, how hard is it to get that bezel off to get the radio out w/o breaking tabs??

Thanks in advance,
pcfixerpro

Old 10-11-2007, 07:30 PM
XXL 1500
Captain
Default RE: Head Unit Install

year, model?

you only need 1 adapter(you really dont HAVE TO buy one, but unless you dont have OEM wiring diagram, it is VERY hard to figure out what wire goes where-buy the harness lol)
it converts the chrysler connector into the stock radio into (like you said) a generic connection
all the wires should be labeled for you -
your new head unit should come with pioneer harness to plug into head unit - splice/crimp(solder recommended) the generic and pioneer harnesses together
ummm you will also need a stereo installation kit - it like a bezel that fits into your stock radio location to adapt to an aftermarket sized radio.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:49 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

sorry bout the lack of info. On another form I go to, it has my info in my sig, but I guess I forgot to put it in there. Oh well...

2001 Dodge ram 1500ext cab. stock tape deck. No premium sound, infact... nothing is premium on my truck. I got the stripped version it seems. lol steel wheels with trim rings, no tow package, no power anything...justAC, but everyone gets that.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:53 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

yeah
its not gonna be too hard.
still remains the same i posted.
you need
[ul][*]head unit[*]generic harness to chrysler connection[*]stereo install kit
[/ul]

Old 10-11-2007, 07:58 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

[ol][*]Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.[*]If the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission, turn the ignition switch to the Off position (not Lock), set the parking brake, and place the automatic transmission gear selector lever in the Low position.[*]If the vehicle is so equipped, set the tilt steering column in its lowest position.[*]Using a trim stick or another suitable wide flat-bladed tool, gently pry around the perimeter of the cluster bezel to disengage the snap clips from their receptacles in the instrument panel.[*]Remove the cluster bezel from the instrument panel.[/ol]

from DaimlerChrysler

Old 10-11-2007, 11:06 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They pretty much got it covered for you. Get a install kit which is the piece that holds the radio in place since the aftermarket radio's aren't the same size as the factory one. Then you need a wiring harness. The Pioneer one should come with the radio so you will just need the vehicle specific one. You should check out Crutchfield.com instead of buying from Circuit City. Crutchfield gives you all the stuff you will need free when you purchase the radio plus a good set of instructions to install it.

The only issue I had with mine which appears to be an Infinity. It doesn't say on the front of the H/U but everything else does and it acts like one. Well I couldn't get sound to come out until I connected the blue remote turn on lead. I didn't think I would have to since I didn't have an amp but you do have to for the factory amp. Or I've read it isn't actually an amp just a filter but idk for sure. Anyway you do have to connect that on mine but I'm not sure if you will or not since you have the base model. Just thought I'd mention that. It really isn't a hard thing to do. You just snap that whole bezel thats pictured above off. Be careful as they sometimes break easily and then you take the two bolts out holding the radio in and disconnect the wires from the back. You just reverse what you did and put it back together. If you have any questions I'm sure somone on here can help you.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:18 AM
tiger22

just installed my alpine head unit the other day and started installing my amp wires and rca's yesterday. i have never owned a fullsize truck before my ram so all might be like this, but i have never seen a tighter space behind the head unit in my life. it took me forever just toguide a couple wires to the floor. there is no way that anyone could get half a hand up there! but its all gunna be worth it i guess...

Old 10-12-2007, 06:37 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Thanks everyone for the help! The diagram provided by XXL 1500, and the tip to look at crutchfield by"hometheaterman" will come in handy. Crutchfield seems to be pretty awesome and will probably order my head unit on monday and install on friday-ish.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:50 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

one more tip if you've never done one... the head unit will come with a sort of outside metal box 'cage', into which the head unit will slide, and lock into place with some springy metal tabs. in order to get the head unit back out of the cage, you will use a couple of long skinny tools that are included. you slide those between the head and the cage , on the sides, to release the tabs. also and most important - the outside cage will have dozens of slots at the front... you slide the cage into the plastic 'dash kit' from the front, and then bend those tabs 90 deg to lock the two together. it'll make sense when you test fit them together. good luck - don't forget to disconnect battery.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Joescool00

I do installs all the time for friends and I just bought a 95 1500 slt sport with the infinity head. I haven't opened it yet so im hoping that it wont be to hard to rip out. I have Clarion head unit, McIntosh 4 channel, MB quart door speakers, MMATS class D 800.1, and 2 12" Dayton Refrence subs. All except for the subs I had in my first car, 96 Saturn SL2(pos). I figure since I have a short cab I should really go for SQ not SPL. If anyone has any questions on installs or quality prouducts just drop me a message. Ill be asking for some help with performance stuff. My plans are first intake and throttle body spacer. But not anything to major. Im going into collage so cash is a little tight. Any suggestions and hints as to maintenance would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Head Unit Install