2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gutted cat gave me MORE POWER

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007 | 12:04 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
|
Banned
Default RE: Gutted cat gave me MORE POWER

i did have an interesting conversation with sirhilton though on aim. we were discussing that even though my truck came stock with 4.10's, maybe the guy previous to me upgraded even more. sirhilton was convinced that even with 4.10's, he ddint think that they could make 35" tires squeel easily. All i know is that i have a ton of power, espcially off the line, and that the truck cant help but burnout when i slam on it, so maybe he upgraded the gears to like 4.56 or something?? maybethey are 4.10s, but now i need to know 4 sure!

Old 10-23-2007 | 02:15 AM
nateblong
Professional

Well I have no cats also with true duals from the mainifolds. Definitly more power, much louder (better sound),also I have been complemented by Ram owners with similar trucks at the red lights.(at idle), and they all said that my truck sounds awsome and they all wanted to know what type exhaust system I was running. They all seemed to think I was running some high dollar system. I am running a dual mandrell bent system with Flowmaster 40 series...

Old 10-23-2007 | 07:25 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
|
Banned

I could only imagine how great that must sound. Very raspy, very hollow, and very throaty...this is just what I like haha!

Old 10-23-2007 | 07:25 AM
Bouncer88
All Star

20dodgeneon00, how wide are you tires? My buddy fred has 35's but they are skinny (not skinny but not thick), and he can spin them easily with just and exhaust, chip, and CAI.

You have to take every factor into account.

Old 10-23-2007 | 08:24 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

... lol !cat mod. ...

I dropped a 1/2 second in the quarter mile when i took mine out completely![sm=bangbang.gif][sm=nothatway.gif]

Old 10-23-2007 | 11:07 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
|
Banned

IndyRam, When you say you dropped a 1/2 second, do you mean it was a 1/2 second worse or better? All I know is that I definately felt an increase in torque, I mean, it made the differance between losing and then winning to my brothers F-350, can't complain about that. Not to mention it sound 2x more badass and loud now!

Bouncer, my tires are 12.5" wide, so they are pretty beastly lol. I was just impressed because most trucks with stock tires can't spin them, but this truck will burn out easily without any kind of brakestand or manipulation to the gas pedal. All I have for mods is an exhaust right now. I know that my truck, because it is the off-road package definately has at least 4.10 gearing, but since i bought it used, i dont know if he ever further modified the gears to 4.56's or something, but they are definately atleast 4.10's.

Old 10-23-2007 | 11:51 AM
Bouncer88
All Star

I don't know if there is something in the water up in Maine or what, I mean first you guys are trying to pass a law saying its ok to hand out birth control to twelve and eleven year olds now you are saying you can spin 35 inch tires that are 12.5 inches wide? Its obsurd, I am going to have to call shens on this one.

Old 10-23-2007 | 11:57 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: Bouncer88

I don't know if there is something in the water up in Maine or what, I mean first you guys are trying to pass a law saying its ok to hand out birth control to twelve and eleven year olds now you are saying you can spin 35 inch tires that are 12.5 inches wide? Its obsurd, I am going to have to call shens on this one.
haha +1

I havent seen it in person, so obviously i could be talking out of my ***, but i dont believe that it would be burnin your 35s without a breakstand, let alone with one. Idk, it just doesnt add up. If your cat had fallen apart and was cloging stuff up, and now you dont have anything in there, it could be worth a gain, but id say at most 5 hp over stock (stock being good condition cat) and I dont recall stockers being able to spin them all that well either.

Old 10-23-2007 | 12:27 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
|
Banned

Lol no, im not saying the gutted cat solely is making it burn the tires. It has always has been able to burn the tires (even before the cat being gutted). All I am saying is that if im sitting at a light, and the light turns green, and if i slam it, it squeels the tires for a coulpe of seconds and then gets grip, and it does this everytime. i didnt think this was such a big deal. i am not a fibber by any means as well. But everytime i race someone, it always spins the tires first, i wouldnt buff about something so silly. anyways, and if im donig a breakstand, it will do a burnout all day. Ill make a short little video up if you want me to, but im not lying about it lol

Old 10-23-2007 | 01:23 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

I'd like to see the video for the hell of it. Its not that I don't believe you becase I've seen trucks spin tire bigger than 35s. especially with 4.10s. If i romp on it going around a turn or something can light up my 33s with 3.55 gears. I don't really try to though since I don't like burning off all that traction I payed so much for

I've seen some really cool burnout videos on you tube and ****, and maybe it's just me... Do you think they have any idea how much damage they're doing to the axels, transmission, t-case... Not to mention a few hundred dollars worth of tires. Maybe that's the "poor" in me coming out

Quick Reply: Gutted cat gave me MORE POWER