2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Ram, New Problems, PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 10:40 PM
htamotorsports
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ram, New Problems, PLEASE HELP!

I picked up a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 today, Having a couple problems with it, hopefully someone can help me with. Appreciate it folks!

#1 (biggest problem)The truck jerks/hesitates/shutters(kind of feels like a misfire)when under 2k rpm, above 2k rpm it feels like its brand new from the factory, the problem is also less apparent when o/d is off. I dont think its a sparkplug/wires/coil problem because its only under 2krpm

#2 The check engine light flashes at me, but when I connect my scan tool I dont get a connection, the scanner does not even try to connect, the obd2 port isnt delivering power to the tool.

#3 the brakes "shutter" when I slow down

#4 Gear selector is very sloppy and doesnt correspond w/ PRND12, I have to count up and down when shifting

Old 11-05-2007, 11:18 PM
dwnlowx
Default RE: New Ram, New Problems, PLEASE HELP!

hmm

Old 11-05-2007, 11:30 PM
htamotorsports

I got the truck for 700 bucks, so if I put 2k into it im still ahead...

Old 11-06-2007, 12:41 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

#1 (biggest problem)The truck jerks/hesitates/shutters(kind of feels like a misfire)when under 2k rpm, above 2k rpm it feels like its brand new from the factory, the problem is also less apparent when o/d is off. I dont think its a sparkplug/wires/coil problem because its only under 2krpm

#2 The check engine light flashes at me, but when I connect my scan tool I dont get a connection, the scanner does not even try to connect, the obd2 port isnt delivering power to the tool.
Those 2 are one and the same. The flashing MIL indicates a misfire bad enough to damage the cat. Could be lots of things, from a broken spark plug insulator to a bad lifter to god only knows. You need to determine which cylinder(s) the misfire is affecting and then determine whether it is ignition, fuel or mechanical. As far as no power to the DLC, check all your fuses. I can't remeber which one provides DLC power (dome light, maybe?), but it's one of them.

#3 the brakes "shutter" when I slow down
Replace the rotors.

#4 Gear selector is very sloppy and doesnt correspond w/ PRND12, I have to count up and down when shifting
Obviously something is badly worn or broken. You're going to have to pull the covers from the column and figure it out.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:10 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pin 16 (bottom right on the DLC connector) is a 12 v power for the scantool/code reader.
Check the cigar lighter fuse.

Check the state of the tune up. Plugs, cap, rotor., etc. How many miles on this bad boy?

A compression test and a fuel injector flush might be a good place to start too.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:37 AM
htamotorsports

thanks for all the replies guys,

well first off I think I may have figured out my major problem, a bad plenum gasket would cause the truck to misfire, correct? I did some research, went outside, let the truck warm up and idle, held my hand over the open oil fill cap and it was like a vacuum cleaner, which is a very bad plenum gasket. I went ahead and ordered a new kit from hughesengines.

and about the DLC, you said it was same circuit as the interior lights, well my dome light is on a switch for some reason, so the lights dont turn on when I open the door, I have to turn em on manually w/ a switch, can anyone link me to a wiring diagram?

and there is 130k miles on the truck

thanks again!

Old 11-06-2007, 02:41 AM
htamotorsports

also there is alot of controversy on spark plugs, which ones do you recommend

Old 11-06-2007, 09:31 AM
95ram

700 bucks!!! Well, I guess you can drive it like you almost stole it! Congratulations!Since you'll be doing the plenum repair, you'll have easier access to the distributor, rotor, wires, TB, sensors, etc. Now is the time to check everything that the good access gives you. Cleaning the TB is a good idea,the sealing surface for the IAC plunger on mine had lots of crud and so did the plunger. That may help you a little bit withidle and just off idle. You're working on getting your codes read, and that's a great first step before you tear it down.

Brake shudder is common, usually it's due to warped rotors. You can have your rotors turned or get some new killer drilled and slotted rotors on eBay for cheap money, such as: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...QQcmdZViewItem

This site has FAQ's and DIY's, including one for the plenum repair, and they're very helpful. Also check:http://www.v8performance.com/tipsandtricks.htm Good luck!

Old 11-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

also there is alot of controversy on spark plugs, which ones do you recommend
Champion. The Emission/engine info sticker under the hood will list the Championpart number for your truck, along with the gap. Will be something like RC14LYCand 0.035"

Quick Reply: New Ram, New Problems, PLEASE HELP!