2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What's the real deal with "superchips"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:47 AM
kitchenrat1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the real deal with "superchips"?

I'm definitely not as knowledgable as most of you are so I have a mod question. These superchips, what do they do, how are they installed, are some better than others, and what about those $5.99 dealies on ebay are they crap or what. I just had to have my pcm replaced because the previous owner had a chip that was either installed improperly or it just was cheap. I want to add some performance via a chip or pcm mod what is the best way to go? Is there a link to this topic on the site? Pretend I'm a woman and you need to explain things in the simplest terms for me. (I heardif you say something about beinga woman on this site you get better response!!!!hahahaha.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:23 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: What's the real deal with "superchips"?

Don't buy anything on ebay for 5.99 that promises performance gains, most times it's justa resistor that tells the PCM the engine is cooler than it actually is, and just dumps more fuel into the cylinders which kills mileage.

A superchips or hypertech tuner can give you a nice bump in performance, adjust tire sizes, read trouble codes, and raise the max speed and raise the rev limiter. I don't feel they are worth $400 but get a used one for $200 and you've made a good investment.

A B&G flash from B&G Chrysler, or the SCT tune from KRC performance are good upgrades after you've completed most of the performance mods to your truck. Otherwise you're not getting max benefit from them.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:49 AM
kitchenrat1
Rookie

So is this something I can buy and install like plug and play, or do I need to have them programmed by a professional. Sorry about all the questions. I just want to know what I can about this whole deal so that I can do the right thing to my truck.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:59 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

A superchips programmer is total PNP, it goes directly into the OBD II port and the instructions are very straight forward. Before you get too far, what year is your truck? 98 and above is definitely OK, but below that, you'll want to check with some of the other guys here who have older trucks. Hypertech doesn't advertise support below '98 but I've heard that the superchips can go back to '96. Before that I think everything was OBD I and there's no programmer for that.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:32 PM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking for a good place to buy a SC...I got my superchips a few months agoat Cabelasfor 300 bucks. You might even be able to find a$20 off coupon online if look.

Cartman

Old 11-11-2007, 12:37 PM
kitchenrat1
Rookie

Thanks for all the input guys. I feel like I'm at school. I really need to put a sig up though.I've got the '95 1500, 5.9 ltr. Is it still possible to get a chip and beef up my performance.Or is my truck too old?

Old 11-11-2007, 02:21 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

ORIGINAL: kitchenrat1

Thanks for all the input guys. I feel like I'm at school. I really need to put a sig up though.I've got the '95 1500, 5.9 ltr. Is it still possible to get a chip and beef up my performance.Or is my truck too old?
affirmitive... your truck is too olddddd like mine also
that damn thing on ebay is a pos they are trying to sell a resistor to plug into your intake air temp sensor to fool computer
doesn't do HARDLY ANYTHING at all...

only things you can do is just bolt on's and intakes... no computer upgrades for us :'(

Old 11-11-2007, 02:22 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

including things like rockers, new heads, anything MECHANICAL really.
no computer

inginition system can be upgraded MSD, Wires, Coil Plugs, etc

Old 11-11-2007, 04:13 PM
Bruiser79

So how about for a 99 1500 w/ the 5.9 V8? I have been looking and there doesn't seem to be much for the non diesel engines. Has anyone found one and how does it work. SOOO wish I had the diesel, get the edge for it with instant 70+ hp/200 lb torque and increased gas mileage.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:03 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

a '99 will be fine with either a superchips or hypertech programmer. Just stay away from the Jet chips.

Quick Reply: What's the real deal with "superchips"?