2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flywheel, Flywheel, Flywheel . . . Help! If you can.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:05 PM
br3ktw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel, Flywheel, Flywheel . . . Help! If you can.

Okay. I'm sure with the question I am about to pose to the wonderful members of this forum I am going to get shafted. Well, it's worth the risk. I did a search. I didn't find what I was looking for. From what I have read from the threads so far it seems most members are very knowledgeable so that is why I didn't run off to another forum to see if my answer maybe posted there. I have had my 94, 1500, V8, 5.2L, 2x4 diagnosed enough to know without a doubt I need to pull the flywheel and have new ring gear put on. The problem is the cheapest estimate I have found is in the area of $850.00. Long story short, I do not have the cash to pay that kind of bill nor do I have another way of transportation. I have to get this truck running. I have to get that old flyweel off. I am pretty mechanically inclined and I am not afraid to try and tackle this myself. I know it will be a job. With that said. My question is, are there any good instructions on doing this posted here (that i didn't find), or elsewhere?I thought about getting a Haynes or Chilton; but, I wonder are the instructions clearly defined in these manuals? I know it's alot to ask but if someone could come up with some instructions I would be so, so greatful!
P.S. Trans is a 46RH don't know if that matters or not.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:11 PM
tazme695
Default RE: Flywheel, Flywheel, Flywheel . . . Help! If you can.

a 2ws tranny pull is one of the easiest pulls ever ! youll have more fun with the crossmember than the tranny itself! the cost you gave to do the job is rather high! i can get that flywheel w/ring for $50-75.00 if you have any questions feel free to ask

Old 11-13-2007, 09:22 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm going to question you some to see if you really need this done.
you're talking about the starter ring on the flywheel. these are the teeth that the starter engages to turn the motor. you must be getting some clash or miss when the starter is turning.

its sort of rare that you need this replaced. have you personally inspected it ? there is a big dust cover behind the engine that covers the lower front of the bell housing. to get this off you remove some braces and i had to remove the starter on my 01. this exposes the starter ring so that you can see it. to see it all the way around you have to rotate the engine (easier with spark plugs removed).

has your starter been replaced ? when there is a gear clash problem, its usually more common for the starter to need replacing than the gear ring on the flywheel.

if you do have some minor damage to the starter ring, it may be possible to clean it up with a grinder or file w/o removing it.

if you really do need the starter ring replaced, then either the engine (harder) or the transmission (easier) has to be removed. its a fairly big job, but not impossible, for someone w/o experience or tools. you might want to check some more shops for estimates. most transmission shops can pull a transmission in a matter of minutes, so you might get it done for a lot less money.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:35 PM
br3ktw

I replaced the starterabout 2 months ago and noticed there were a couple of teeth missing from the flywheel. About a week ago it wouldnt start, again,so I removed starter again, had it tested and re-installed. It just spins. I can see the section of flywheel that is inline with the starter and it is the section that is missing the teeth soI am assuming the starter isnt able to grab and catch on, it just spins. The flywheel also appears to be badly worn on most of the otherteeth. So I have the ring gear purchased just gotta pull the flywheel off and have it faced and new ring gear put on which costs about 40-50 bux depends on where I take it. I imagine the bulk of all estimates I have gottenis labor induced. I got one that was $1200.00 today.[align=right]
[/align]

Old 11-13-2007, 09:48 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's some info about the various RH trannies that might help:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/228727/Dod...Service-Manual.

There's also the full 2001 field service manual that might help:

http://www.rm-indy.com/wavefiles/2001ramsrvcmanual.zip

Old 11-13-2007, 09:49 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ok, if you have teeth missing than i agree you need a new starter ring.
i'm lookintg at the haynes manual. about 22 steps to remove trans. i could scan it and email it if you need it.

it still seems to me that you could get this done at a smaller shop that needs the business for a whole lot less money. not too long ago i had a transmission removed, torn partially down, partially rebuilt, completely resealed, and reinstalled for $300.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:59 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

I got one that was $1200.00 today.
That's a bit high, considering that max labor on a 4x4 with all options (dual exhause, skid plate) is 8.0 hours and the reman flywheels list at $81. That would be $825 at my shop. Now, I would strongly recommend a new clutch at the same time, which would bring that total to right at that $1200 mark. Of course, your truck is not 4x4. Max labor on 2wd is 5.6 hours. If it does not have a skid plate or dual exhaust and uses a one-piece driveshaft, labor is only 4 hours.

So, at my shop, depending on those variables, a remanufactured flywheel and new clutch (complete kit) installed would run $835-977. No clutch, take $375 off those figures (would be foolish, though, unless yours is pretty darnnew).

Old 11-13-2007, 10:14 PM
br3ktw

The $1200.00 quote was from Dodge Dealers w/ $382.00 flywheel included.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:17 PM
br3ktw

Thank you.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:21 PM
br3ktw

Thanks those instructions would be awesome to have!

Would they include the clutch as mentioned by Sixtysixdeuce?

Now, I would strongly recommend a new clutch at the same time,

Quick Reply: Flywheel, Flywheel, Flywheel . . . Help! If you can.