2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I NEED HELP!! ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS HAPPEN?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:03 PM
petekf4qoe
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I NEED HELP!! ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS HAPPEN?

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie quad-cab, 2 wheel drive, with all options and the 5.9L gas engine. Power windows, power seat, Infinity sound system tow package, automatic, cruise, all of the good stuff.

First let me give you some history on the truck. I am the second owner and have had it since 2002 and the only real things that it has had wrong with it is the back-up lights have not worked since I had it. I checked the bulbs but they are good. I am pretty sure it is a sensors on the transmission and really just have never got around replace it so I worked around this by installing a set of lights and a switch that I turn on to see behind me when needed. Also the passenger side door lock only opens 1 in say 30 times or so, I know that this is just the actuator and plan on replacing it soon. Other then that I have only had to do this basics like a waterpump, tires, brakes and I replaced the shocks a few weeks ago.

Well now on to my problem. I started having this strange problem the other day. I went out to my truck and used the door remote to open the door drivers door. As I stated earlier the passenger side doesnt work most times. It just kind of buzzes like it is trying but it doesnt work. It worked fine to unlock the drivers door as always. I went back to work and when I came back later and hit the button again the door would not unlock with the remote. Well I went ahead and used the key to open the door and went on home. As I was leaving I also noticed the power windows would not work. Today I noticed the radio will turn on but no sound (it has the Infinity sound system so it is probably the amp not powering on) The main dome light does not work but if I turn the interior lights on with the switch the 2 lights on the overhead consle do turn on fine.

I also noticed that when I push the button to unlock the doors I noticed that it sounds like a circut breaker is trying to reset but it will not work. I checked the fuses and and all are good. I am stumped. Any help would be great.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:15 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I NEED HELP!! ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS HAPPEN?

try swaping the circket breaker with another one, also check the wires going into the dor so see if one is broke

something intresting thow....i also have a 98 1500, whitch the back up lights havent worked in a cupple years, i also thought it was the switch in the tranny but this summer i desided to fix it so poped it out and changed it (never bothered testing it at first since i thought i had it narrowed down) anyways put the new switch in and still dident work so tested the new switch with a multi meeter and it worked fine tested the old one and it was good too so i desided to sirvice the tranny too, so droped the pan off and the little lever in the tranny that suspose to push the button on the end of the switch dident move, so i called the tranny shop and he sed he has seen a cupple where the arm breaks inside so it dosent push in the switch but it still is making contact with it so the park safty switch still works he also said that that the tranny needs to come apart to fix the lever, needless to say i never did get it fixed, anyways i know its not what you asked about but if you ever get it working let me know

Old 11-19-2007, 11:52 PM
petekf4qoe
Rookie

Hey that helps with the backup lights anyway. Thanks for the info. I will keep you posted on here if I figure it out.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:56 PM
petekf4qoe
Rookie

come on guys anyone have anymore ideas????

Old 11-21-2007, 09:11 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Test the battery for load? Remove and clean/reconnect batt. cables.
Start with the free stuff 1st

Old 11-22-2007, 12:28 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Theres 2 fuse boxes, did you check them both? I say its a blown fuse still...

Old 11-27-2007, 10:24 PM
petekf4qoe
Rookie

Ok, I am at my witts end on this. I have tried checking all fuses and circut breakers in both boxes. The one on the drivers side of dash and the one underhood. Still nothing. The power windows, power door locks and overhead main domelight does not work. When you press the button on the remote you hear a soft click under the dash (probably a relay) but still no door lock action. Try to lock or unlock the doors with the switch on the door. Nothing happens. Also as I stated earlier the radio will turn on but no sound comes out. It does not matter if I play the radio or cd player so I am guessing it is the factory amp since I have the Infinity sound system. It is the stock radio also. Am am stuck and ready to pull my hair out over this. I NEED HELP PLEASE.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:30 PM
reynoldsrobbie

Have you tried checking your alternator?

Old 11-27-2007, 10:43 PM
petekf4qoe
Rookie

It is fine. Good output.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Williamspring

did you check the resistance in the wiring any amount of corrosion in a harness can cause it to try to draw more amps there for kicking a breaker or blowing a fuse you could also check for mechanical resistence for the buzzing on the passenger side of door locks hope this helps

Quick Reply: I NEED HELP!! ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS HAPPEN?