2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cold air intake- mud??

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007 | 09:39 PM
Moparkid032
|
Professional
Default Cold air intake- mud??

ok i am curious on something..now i would like to get a cold air intake for my truck..but i am nervouse cause i do a ili mudding and would be afraid that mud/ water would suck into the motor alot easier appose to the stock air intake..so what do you guys think??

Old 11-22-2007 | 09:46 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Default RE: Cold air intake- mud??

Get a filter wrap.

Old 11-23-2007 | 01:49 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion

Wrap some used panty hose around the filter.

Old 11-23-2007 | 06:23 AM
HankL
Champion

Wouldn't a 'snorkle' modification make more sense for you?

The CAI is not going to give any performance gain in the low rpm engine operation that a skilled off roader is going to do.

Don't put a CAI on your truck that does not protect as well from mud/water
....unless one of the CAI manufacturers offers to pay you endorsement money of a suitably large amount.

Old 11-23-2007 | 12:49 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Quote:
The CAI is not going to give any performance gain in the low rpm engine operation that a skilled off roader is going to do.

I usually don't disagree with Hank, becuse he packs a ton of good information that I enjoy reading.But on my personal experience, skill not withstanding....the above statement may not be true.

If you're in low range, with decent gears, and dependent on the terrain....and thats the kicker...you may find your self using a pretty fair amout of rpm. Perhaps the term "low speed" may be a better description.
Generally I am taching about 2500 rpm to climb a loose rocky slope, a hill climb in dirton a steep grade might bounce me off the rev limiter.Yet I may never exceed 15 to 20 mph!
Sand requires horespower, and anything you can do to add it makes sense.
To pop over a two foot ledge requires more skill (and traction) than horsepower. To crawl through 50 feet of moguls made from lava rockrequires a flexable suspension.
Mud is much like sand...but add water. It goes everywhere even when the fan doesn't fling it.
Since you asked what kind of CAI to use, I'll base my choice again, on experience. I would NOT waste my money on a K&N! I would use an Airmax, Volant, or S&B design. These designs incorporate an Airbox in the factory spotthat isolates the the filter from mud/water and engine heat (and sand to a point) yet flow better with a straight design tube than the factory.
I would also base your purchase on further mods. If you DON'T plan on any more mods, you might want to stick with a drop in Hi flow element. The factory system flows plenty well for a stock motor, and your mods could be better spent on"off road" mods like lockers, gears, suspension stuff, etc.

Old 11-23-2007 | 06:06 PM
Moparkid032
|
Professional

well i am going to eventually be putting a throttle body on there and chipping my ECU for the modes i got already...so why dont you guys recommend K and N out of curiosity.( i wasnt goin to purchase that brand anyway)

Old 11-23-2007 | 07:07 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

here is what im talking about..

[IMG]local://upfiles/40785/AF15006EA6F44339A4293EAE0F32B86B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-23-2007 | 07:48 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

Those look cool. They apear to be a little thick though. I guess I'll have to check them out. Don't want something that blocks air from getting in, just something for the mud to land on.

Old 11-23-2007 | 07:59 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

I have a airaid filter wrap/drycharger on my CAI , just some insurance..

Old 11-23-2007 | 08:14 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

Do you leave it on all the time? or just for muddin?

Quick Reply: Cold air intake- mud??