2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My cam swap thread :: UPDATE:: IT RUNS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 01:24 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My cam swap thread

ORIGINAL: tdmopar59

really... that aint too bad! sounds like a fun weekend!!
its going to be a tough weekend.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:06 PM
v10power
Professional

Good choices you made on the part lists. Its going to really wake up the beast. BTW i really like your truck.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Ben D.
Champion

that truck of yours is so sexy dude and it keeps getting better

Old 12-05-2007, 04:01 PM
greenmachine
All Star

What made you decide to go with that size cam? Cant recall off the top of my head but I believe you can go a little larger (220's/230's at 50) without any major work. Not trying to knock your choice. Just dont want you to short yourself. Will eventually do the same mod myself thanks for the early heads up info.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:26 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: v10power

Good choices you made on the part lists. Its going to really wake up the beast. BTW i really like your truck.
Thanks. I really like yours too.

ORIGINAL: Ben D.

that truck of yours is so sexy dude and it keeps getting better
Thanks ben, I appriciate it.

ORIGINAL: greenmachine

What made you decide to go with that size cam? Cant recall off the top of my head but I believe you can go a little larger (220's/230's at 50) without any major work. Not trying to knock your choice. Just dont want you to short yourself. Will eventually do the same mod myself thanks for the early heads up info.
That particular cam is most appropriate for my setup, while still leaving room for improvement.The improvement Im talking about is1.7 rockers or POSSIBLY 1.8if they fit, when I get edelbrock heads (portedpolished bowl blend and 3 angle) for some more lift.The duration isnt as ideal as id like, atleast on the intake, but its pritty adaquate (im still contemplating a custom grind) For the most part, its perfect for stock intake and longtubes. Its almost identical to the 210/220 comp cams cam, with small exceptions...1, less lift (which is ok, stock heads stop flowing any better arround .470. 2. 2 deg less intake duration, but a faster ramp rate. 3. 4 less degrees exhaust duration, but a MUCH faster ramp rate. 4. 114 LSA vs a 112 for better vacume.

Idealy Id like something thats arround 220 intake / 218-222 exhaust with about480-520 on bothand about a 272 total intake duration, and a 274 total exhaust duration. Lol, if anyone knows of such a cam PLEASE tell me. ALSO, if someone could get me the exact specs on the KRC 210x cam, I would most appriciate it. I have been after KRC for a couple of weeks on the specs of that cam and no one will respond to me. I cant even get them on the phone. ALL the specs, not just duration at 050; total, 050, lift @ 050, and LSA.

Edit:: Actually, I found a chevy hydraulic flat tappet cam that is similar to the grind I would like. its 218/224, 270/276, .495/.502, 110.Id install it at 106.I would have them grindit for the magnum block/hydraulic roller obviously. Im going to call them tomorrow and ask what the cost is on custom grinds.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:50 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

I talked to Comp Cams today about a custom grind. They have them at the same price as off the shelf cams, so I picked this profile. 218/224, 270/276, .512 @ 050 both, 112 LSA with a 108 centerline. The only thing Im thinking of changing is the 218 to a 220, but less duration will be helpful when I go with an M1 manifold in the future, so thats the final numbers, unless anyone sees a reason why that cam wont work.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:18 PM
greenmachine
All Star

I thought I read on another thread that the M1 swap resulted in a loss on the bottom. The stock kegger having the mods was the better choice for that reason. You know for sure? I am wondering if that was for a mostly stock vehicle which would not effect your truck at all.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:23 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: greenmachine

I thought I read on another thread that the M1 swap resulted in a loss on the bottom. The stock kegger having the mods was the better choice for that reason. You know for sure? I am wondering if that was for a mostly stock vehicle which would not effect your truck at all.
Yes, most definately. I decided to stick with the keger because the m1 isnt worth it for my setup yet. When I get the edelbrock heads, Ill more than likely get the m1. You cant take advantage of the flow of the M1 unless you rev it 6-> 7k, either of which Im not doing. I have almost 190,000 miles on my truck, and even though iv been told it was rebuilt, I never got paperwork, so its still 190,000 miles imo. Im not risking spinning a bearing from winding it up that high, or adding accelerated wear to my trans. Besides, when you start reving that high, accessories start to die sooner...not that its a problem to replace them, its just money Id rather not spend, and reliability Id rather not risk. The most Ill be using the stock keger for is about 56-5800, which is plenty fine. I may port the kegger and shorten the runners while im in there.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:20 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

Indy

Check out this software that I found. If you do a search on google for camquest there is a program that will help pick a cam. I know you may already have yours picked but I thought that I would pass on the info.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:03 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: ICEMAN_CH

Indy

Check out this software that I found. If you do a search on google for camquest there is a program that will help pick a cam. I know you may already have yours picked but I thought that I would pass on the info.
thanks for the heads up...ill take a look at it anyways.

Quick Reply: My cam swap thread :: UPDATE:: IT RUNS!!!