2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My cam swap thread :: UPDATE:: IT RUNS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 02:28 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My cam swap thread

Cam is being made right now. its the 218/224.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:22 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

All my hard parts are present and or accounted for.
-Cam
-Rockers
-Stud conversion kit
-Springs+Retainers
-Pushrods

Soooo now when I finally get the oppertunity I can start to install. The last thing I need for the whole setup to function is the pcm. Damn B&G is on holiday untill the 2nd. Ill be sure to try and charge up my camera and take lots of pictures.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:40 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

All my hard parts are present and or accounted for.
-Cam
-Rockers
-Stud conversion kit
-Springs+Retainers
-Pushrods

Soooo now when I finally get the oppertunity I can start to install. The last thing I need for the whole setup to function is the pcm. Damn B&G is on holiday untill the 2nd. Ill be sure to try and charge up my camera and take lots of pictures.
what ratio rocker are you going with ? does it have the pin needle bearings ?
and what lenght pushrods ?
i was gonna go with 1.7 ratio with using these push rods ( comp cam 7933-1) if i stayed stock...
change of things again...
staying with the 5.2 stroke it to 390 , bore it 30 over , deck polish ported heads... now the issue i have is now do i stay with 1.6 roller rocker or maybe 1.5 and pushrods will change to , depends on what cam i go with...
are you gonna use guide plates at all ?

Old 12-28-2007, 11:40 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

yea, I think those are the pushrods I went with. 6.90s from comp. I didnt see if those were the 1 pc hardened, but I got theier 1 pc hardened.I couldnt find any stock 6.925s, all they had were 6.9 and 6.950s. I figgure I can make up .25 with adjustments rather than trying to compensate .25 out of the valvetrain

For the rockers, I got 1.6 Harland Sharps for a chevy small block full rollers. I cant see any bearings so Id have to assume they are not pin needles. I suggest getting a cam built specificly to make the lift you want to achieve with either 1.5 or 1.6, that way if you want more lift later (ported heads or diffrent heads) you can just switch rockers for better lift, rather than installing a new cam (though I would also recomend that you know what the flow specs are going to be on either setup, so that you can figgure out if the durations will be benificial to both stock heads and somewhat benificial with the porting/ aftermarkets).

The crane cams stud convo kit comes included with all the goodies you want, including guideplates.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:31 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

I added another part to the list...just picked up some eddelbrock 4495's for extra rocker clearance, not to mention, people crap their pants when they see chrome at a car show.

Before anyone screams about them being for a LA style head....they fit, atleast thats what comp cams and some other people have told me ( I will find out 100% on sunday). The only issue is that there are 5 unused bolt holes....which really isnt an issue. You just have to make sure to check the valve cover bolts every once in a while to make sure they are tight. Chrysler did have an oil leakage issue with the old la style valve cover setup. Otherwise....the 5 bolts that are still there, line up.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Those are nice fancy valve covers you picked out there. I was thinking about getting those exact same ones if I ever get around to to engine upgrades.

I guess you're suppose to drill the breather hole yourself?

Old 12-28-2007, 10:42 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

They are both breathers...you just take one off to add oil

Old 12-28-2007, 10:50 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

oh I gotcha. I kinda thought that might be it, but then I figured one was the oil fill plug and i wasnt really sure.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:25 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

comp cam conversion kit # 1425-KIT comes with the 1.6 roller rocker ,pushrods , guide plates , everything..lol ..hey indy your harland sharp come with the needle bearing i think most HP roller rocker come with it... im getting a high TQ cam grind # CRS264HR-12
Advertised Duration 264/274, Lift .512/.512
cant use stock springs so ill be calling them on wensday about what springs to use....

Old 12-30-2007, 10:38 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

comp cam conversion kit # 1425-KIT comes with the 1.6 roller rocker ,pushrods , guide plates , everything..lol ..hey indy your harland sharp come with the needle bearing i think most HP roller rocker come with it... im getting a high TQ cam grind # CRS264HR-12
Advertised Duration 264/274, Lift .512/.512
cant use stock springs so ill be calling them on wensday about what springs to use....
I went with the 6062s they are good for 610 lift, whereas the 9464s are good for 525. (though I am skeptical about the pressure at open because I can start to press the spring together by interlocking my fingers and squeezing. I too have to call about that.

Quick Reply: My cam swap thread :: UPDATE:: IT RUNS!!!