2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

thoughts on winter warm up

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 01:54 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thoughts on winter warm up

ok so i was watching the news tonight and they had the segment they usally run around this time of year, you only need to idle your vehicle for 30 seconds before you go and it only needs to be plugged in for an hour before you start it otherwise you are are "just harming the environment" (to quote what they said) and of course they found some "mechanic" (who i wouldn't let within 10 feet of my truck) i call bull **** on there story

right now its about -30*C (-22*F)
i would usallyplug my truck in (both theblock heater and the batwarmer)for at least 4 hours before i leave
(thow i usally just leave it plugged in all the time because i don't pay for the power)
and if its the first time i have started it that day id warm it up for about 10 min, 5 if it had been running before

what are your guys thoughts and typical habits?

Old 12-09-2007, 03:28 AM
duneaticdave
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: thoughts on winter warm up

i live in southern california so i don't know what the heck your talking about!

Old 12-09-2007, 04:31 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

Well I guess you technically dont have to let it "warm up" a long time before you get in and drive....but arent you supposed to stretch before exercising? It jst makes me feel better letting my vehicle run atleast a couple minutes before I drive off in it. Depending on how cold and if im in a hurry I usually turn the key to ignition let the fuel pump come on, start the vehicle and let it run for 3-4 minutes if im sitting in it...If I go back inside I can let it run up to 15 minutes before I leave.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:28 AM
99Ram1500sport
Veteran

wow -22 has to suck. its goina be 60+ dergees down here in georgia

Old 12-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

At those temps, I'd have it plugged in and still run it for a few minutes before taking off I think. It's supposed to stay in the 20s here today. I let mine run for a few minutes before taking off but don't have a heater to plug in. Also, I have a remote start that has a temp sensor on it and when it drops too low (can't remember what I have it set at) it will start by itself and run for about 5 min and then cut off. I'm sure my neighbor isn't all that thrilled about hearing it but it sure does help a lot when I'm ready to go.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:05 AM
goldwing92

Well I would definately plug in the heaters for as long as you like, but as far as letting it warm up, most of the manufacturers say now to just let it run long enough for the oil to get flowing and then drive it. Anything else just wastes gas. Besides if you've got it plugged in you've already got a warm engine.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:42 AM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ryans590
right now its about -30*C (-22*F)
i would usallyplug my truck in (both theblock heater and the batwarmer)for at least 4 hours before i leave
(thow i usally just leave it plugged in all the time because i don't pay for the power)
and if its the first time i have started it that day id warm it up for about 10 min, 5 if it had been running before
I think your warm up procedure is fine, don't let those D*** Hippies tell you to drive your truck cold. I let my truck warm up for 5 min. when it starts to drop below 32F, 10 minif its colder,and my buddy out in Buffalo leaves his trucks block heater plugged in overnight. I think your right on track to call bull**** on thier story.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:43 AM
dillonjm
Veteran

It probably is true that you only need to let the oil circulate for it to be ok to drive, however, I let mine warm up more for my comfort than anything else.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:12 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

These people are just annoying, they even let their big liberal tree hugging bullcrap into something as simple as letting your vehicle warm up. I mean come on, when it's cold, you at least should let it warm up at least 5 minutes before you throw it into drive. I always wait till the rpms go beneath 1, because if its still above 1, ITS STILL WARMING UP lol. I don't even care if its the summer, or the winter, I always let any vehicle I'm driving warm up until the rpm gauge is settled and beneath 1. Unless I'm in a big rush then I'll skank it and just throw it into drive while it's still warming up and it usually doesn't like me for that haha! But anyway, it's just annoying that they would even waste their time making a segment about letting your vehicle warm up, that's insane..During the winter, it's nice having the vehicle warmed up with the defrosters on while your scraping the car clean of ice and snow. OTherwise your just dealing with downtime if you have a vehicle not running while your trying like hell to get all the crap off it before you go to work. These ppl, man...they are just such psuitos, it's really annoying...Im so happy I get to vote for president next year and hopefully scave off any of these freaky losers.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:07 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

In this day and age when they hand out ase certifications to any monkey with a socket wrench, and news programs that arent as credible as charles manson on the subject of morals, I dont see why you would come up with any answer besides bull ****. You let it warm untill its warm, if you can. I try to myself, but usially dont have time to. I at least wait for it to get to 130-140 before putting it in gear. 30 seconds harms the environment please....they need to get a real job. No one cares about oppinionated news.

Quick Reply: thoughts on winter warm up