2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2WD lo

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 01:01 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2WD lo

ive been seeing this around a few sites laitley, about pepole putting in posi lok or a valve to prevent the CAD from engaguing....just courieoud what the advantages yo having 2lo woild be...where it would usefull

.... hmm maby i can use 2lo insted of regering my truck(im joking)

Old 12-11-2007, 01:26 AM
WesV
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2WD lo

In all honesty, 2 lo has no real uses outside extreme 4 wheeling and then you are usually more interested in 2wd front axle driving only. I have seen a guy with a CTD dually use 2 low to shift through the first 5 gears and then pull it into 2 high and catch 3rd and go on, but he was WAY over loaded for that truck and not something that should be condoned. The other disadvantage, on the half tons specifically, when you go into 2 low you are effectively doubling the torque applied to the rear, that means twice the torque on the u-joints, driveshaft, diff gears and axle shafts... it is a GOOD way to break things if you aren't judisious in the use of the skinny pedal.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:37 AM
getpower

Posi Lok isnt specifically for your truck to have 2LO, its just another benefit of the product.

What it is for is it takes out the whole vaccum system so you'll never have to worry about your t-case not working b/c of a vaccum problem in the lines. Instead, you now reach down and put the truck into 4x4, and pull the posi lok lever and that is how the 4x4 gets engaged.

If you WANT 2lo, all you would have to do it pull the posi lok lever.

Understand?

Old 12-11-2007, 10:52 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

yah i know that's not what posi lok is for but i know that's why some people want it

ORIGINAL: getpower

If you WANT 2lo, all you would have to do it pull the posi lok lever.
and actually if you want 2 lo is want you do is shift it into 4lo but DONT pull the posi lok cable...
i know how the systems work, just curious what the usefulness of using the truck in 2lo is

Old 12-11-2007, 11:23 AM
lucas3397
Professional

I would say it would be useful in situations where you needed the low gearing on dry pavement. Like pullin a boat up a ramp and parking it. Or maybe pulling a really really heavy load a short distance as in like around the block or something. I guess just anytime you needed the extra torque but where on solid ground and didnt want thebinding.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:46 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

hmm i see where your going with that lucas3397i must say ive gone up some real steep grades where i have put it in 4lo but dident need 4wd however i think WesVhas a good point too, 2x more power foing to the rear end, easer to beak stuff

Old 12-11-2007, 10:30 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

good for easing around on dirt roads and holding a slow speed w/o the steering difficulty/binding that occurs in 4wd.
good for easing a load of wood up a hill, driveway, yard.
good for pulling a big boat up the ramp.
2 lo has about 2-3 times the torque as 2 hi or 3hi. somebody called it a butt-load of torque.

like someone else said, it eliminates the worry about the fragile little vac lines, whether cad will/won't work when you need it. whether its engage/not engaged when the stupid light doesn't work. instead its a simple, foolproof cable. its engaged or its not and you can see/feel it on the control lever.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:15 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

whats 3hi lol...j/k

yah is see where it could be usefull but i dont see myself ever needinf it, guss ill just wate for the cad system to grenade then change it out

Old 12-11-2007, 11:18 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: ryans590
whats 3hi lol...j/k
haha, i guess that's where one of the open diff's is spinning like hell and going nowhere.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:50 PM
nhlbill
Veteran

If you have ever had to pull a boat up the ramp, or tow a friends car a short distance, or back up your camping trailer up your steep driveway, or pull a stump out of your yard etc........2wd low is damn handy.

Since it puts no more stress on any drivetrain components than the factory designed 4wd system does, the "going to break stuff" argument is just rediculous. In fact it is way better on your transmission to properly apply the torque than to lug your drivetrain so it's actually better on your truck. Picture yourself trying to pedal your mountain bike up a steep hill in high gear vs. a low gear....which one is easier on you?

Off road you don't have to be on a goat trail to enjoy it's benefits either. Very often the grade demands more power than your high range can give you without lugging and overheating.

2wd low is a very nice option and can be useful in many situations. To say otherwise is just not an educated statement.

That said though, I would not go out and buy a "posi lock" or hub conversion kit just to get 2wd low. It's just a nice fringe benefit of the posi lock, or in my case the hub conversion.