2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gauge Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 12:11 AM
chet
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge Questions

I have a trans. Temp gauge it should be here by the end of the week hopefully. I was wondering how they hook up. I thought i read somewhere where you have to drill and tap a 3/8 hole or something for the sender, i was wondering if there is a wire somewhere that i can tap into. Since i have a Trans Temp(which has came on before i got a new tranny) light i figured somewhere something is keeping track of the temperature and lights up to let me know somethings going on so i thought it would be easier to just tap into that wire instead of putting something in my pan ?

Also, I have a Air/Fuel Gauge coming with it and i heard that it just splices into the Oxygen Sensor and reads from there ?

Old 12-26-2007, 11:05 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: Gauge Questions

I'm not sure because I've never done it, but I don't think it would be a good idea.

1st, the gauge you ordered may not read the resistance value to be the same temp as the sending unit in the truck. How to calibrate the gauge to the sending unit could be an issue.

2nd, if your TCM or PCM are tapped into that singnal, your splice into it may dammage that circuit and cost $$.

Good luck

Old 12-29-2007, 12:28 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

do a search, a memeber just did this and shows the best way to hook it up

Old 12-29-2007, 02:29 PM
chet
Professional

i've searched and cant really come up with anything.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What year/model is your truck?

Old 01-02-2008, 11:58 PM
chet
Professional

its a 2001 ram 1500 Sport offroad.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The easiest way in my opinion is to put your trans temp sending unit in the front servo port of the trans (see pic). It is a more accurate reading then the pan, and much easier install. A 1/8" NTP sender with a 3/8" adapter fitting is what I recall I used for mine (basically what came with my Autometer gauge). Then just run wires up to your gauge. The sending unit that the trans temp light uses in in the valve body if I remeber correctly. There might be a wire coming into the PCM that you could splice into to get your reading, but i'm not sure which it would be, and asa mentioned, you could mess up your reading (both to the PCM and to your gauge) doing it that way.

For the a/f meter, yes you do have to tap into the post-cat oxygen sensor. Are you using a narrow band (stock) oxygen sensor, or a wide band? My a/f meter uses the OEM narrow band o2 sensor, and when I installed it, I spliced into the wire loom just outside of the PCM instead of down by the o2 sensor (same wires, just shorter distance and easier access). For my '99, I installed it using the following wires (these also worked on a '97, probably work on your '01 too, but you might consult the service manual wiring diagram to make sure first). On the right side PCM plug (when looking at it as you face the firewall), the brown wire from my a/f meter went to a black wire with light blue tracer, and the orange wire from my a/f meter went to the tan wire with white tracer. Then there was a black wire from my a/f meter that went to a ground, and a red wire that goes to a switched ignition hot wire (so that it is only powered when you have the key on). Lastly, the white wire from my a/f meter spliced into the dash lights so that it would dim when the lights are on. Not sure if your particular a/f meter's wires will be the same or not, but hope this helps some.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/8292BED785CF4DF0A2B029AC1128AF2E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-03-2008, 12:25 PM
sawtooth
Rookie

Although the following article is from a fellow who makes a living with Dodge Diesel Trannys, its worth a read.

"As far as I am concerned, there is only one location to accurately measure your tranny temps from. That is your transmission cooler outline. I have seen temps get as high as 300 degrees coming out of that line. That line sees every 20 seconds 1 quart of oil pumped through it at 1100 rpms. 3.8 gallons at 2100 rpms every minute, in 3 minutes you have pumped out basically 12 gallons of oil. So lets say you see temps of 300 degrees from this line and you have pumped it through your tranny At this point in time you can change the oil in your tranny or you can wait a little longer and change your tranny , rest assured you will be doing one or the other".

http://www.dieseltrans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=558

Old 01-03-2008, 12:28 PM
chet
Professional

ok ill hafta get a T if imma go into the line(which may be the easiest way too). I have an aftermarket offroad tranny cooler i put on when i put my new tranny in. The bottom line is the outline correct ?

Old 01-03-2008, 08:46 PM
chet
Professional

ok i got my Home made T rigged up and put in my trans line and sealed up good(i hope). Now i hooked my oxgen sensor up and it didnt work so i took it off and began switching wires when my friend said the light came on so i checked it and its 0132 which is
P0132 1/1 O2S Shorted To Voltage

My question is i tried the gray wire and the white wires (theres 1 gray 2 white and a black on the post-cat sensor)and nothing happened, which wire do i hook it to since it is a 4 wire sensor and is my sensor fried because it was shorted ?

Quick Reply: Gauge Questions