2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE Tranny Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 01:53 PM
zebradog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46RE Tranny Problem

I've got a 46RE in a 97 Ram 1500, It has about 137K on it. While I was towing a small trailer back from, I got a check engine light with a P0740 TCC control error. Possible causes were a bad Torque converter anddirty fluid. The guy at the tranny shop said to reset the code and se if it comes back before I do anything else, and if it was still gone, to change the fluid and tighten the bands and it MIGHT have been the fluid since it had been 30K since it's last ATF change.This way I didn't waste good money on a fluid change if thetranny needed to berebuilt anyway.

So I changed the fluid yesterday and tightened the Bands (according to the 72"lbs and back it off method) because the code never came back. When I got in it, and when I put it into drive, it boggs the tranny down to where it almost stalls it, then back up to idle. It only does this when I shift from Neutral, Reverse or Park into drive. If I drive in reverse, I have no stalling or hesitation.

When I go to accelerate, it revs up to 1500-1800, slams into gear with a clunk and goes. Thenit repeats that at the stop sign. I've checked the fluid and it's just the right level.

Is this me not adjusting the bands right? It sounds like the Torque Converter went belly up and the clutches aren't doing what they need to. Any advice would be great, because if it's dead, I'm having a custome one build for serious towing reliability. I'm going to try to readjust the front band on the outside of the tranny again and see what happens, but like I said, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Z

Old 01-06-2008, 07:35 PM
zebradog
Default RE: 46RE Tranny Problem

No one has any idea? Come on, I can't be the first person to have this happen!!!

Old 01-06-2008, 07:54 PM
dodgeman22
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uh yea no idea

Old 01-06-2008, 08:02 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think your converter went south.
Nothing is rotating in the trans until you start to drive so I don't think it's a band issue.
You might want to check the flow in your trans cooler. If some of the clutch came off the lock up in the converter it might have plugged it. I've seen plugged coolers cause shuddering and vibration on engagement. I think what happens is the pressure can't flow through the cooler it backs up and then causes the converter clutch to try and engage when your stopped.

Sounds like time for O-haul

Old 01-06-2008, 08:03 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Well...it could be thepressure switch, and /or your shift senlenoid....and your lockup seleniods...which are right next to it. Try changingthose first.You may have worn down the OD lining in the Torque convertor. That may have clogged the pressure switch. But I have a suspicion that at 137 K, your tranny is on the way out.

If you changed the fluid, was there a lot of crap in the pan? Not big chunks that everyone expects to see, but a fine black / metallic grunge. That gets into the selenoids and starts plugging things up.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:20 PM
BoDuke1987
Rookie

ORIGINAL: dsertdog56

Well...it could be thepressure switch, and /or your shift senlenoid....and your lockup seleniods...which are right next to it. Try changingthose first.You may have worn down the OD lining in the Torque convertor. That may have clogged the pressure switch. But I have a suspicion that at 137 K, your tranny is on the way out.

If you changed the fluid, was there a lot of crap in the pan? Not big chunks that everyone expects to see, but a fine black / metallic grunge. That gets into the selenoids and starts plugging things up.
Why would his tranny be on the way out. I have 142K on mine, and thats with all the mudding, rock climbimg, towing, and racing on it. I know my torque convertor is going out, I think thats what it may be for him. Unless its one of those hit or miss tranny's.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Pistol148@aol.com

About 8/10 46RE's that come into my shop with the P0740 usually require a New T.C., Front Pump, Transgo Kit in V.B., and new solenoids. That is usually what it takes to fix that code correctly. Good Luck, Nick.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:37 PM
jmhai
Veteran

Pistol...Whats the going price for all that work?

Old 01-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Pistol148@aol.com

The T.C. usually go for around $200.00 for stock specs. Front Pumpcan be around $225.00. The transgo kit runs about $60.00. Solenoids (Lock-Up/3-4,Gov. Press/Transducer) usually run around $250.00. Iknow a lot of people purchasethese parts frome-bay for half theseprices. I even saw aV.B. with newsolenoids/transgo kit on ebay for $250.00 If they actually did all the work with new solenoids that a pretty good deal. It is very tough to get a 100% accuratequote on a transmission rebuild. Most shops will quote about $1500-$2000. But for that priceyour getting pretty mucha stock transmission with a fewmodifications to fix the common comeback problems. Your notgetting any real HD parts. Themore you pay, the better the trans, lol, usually. Good luck, Nick.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:08 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Zebradog , Didn't the trans shop do a torque converter stall test? P0740 for TCC could have been the TCC plate on the valve body or leaking pump seals for the torque converter. The other problem you maybe having is the bands are to tight.

Quick Reply: 46RE Tranny Problem