2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pix of the Headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:36 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pix of the Headers

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

lol noob excitment mod Its cute.
"cute", lol man for most ppl, I'm considered "crazy" for tackling this job, and you on the other hand, are a fearless maniac!! Cute is a good word for this project though, if I can tackle this one, I'll feel a lot more confident to start doing other projects on the truck.

Bouncer, thanks for the compliment too! I just want it to be the weekened now so I can start in, I'm tired of just looking at the headers sitting in my livingroom haha

So...whats the news crazy? They in yet ?

Old 01-09-2008, 12:59 PM
bruno426
Captain

Is there any specific reason that you are going to use the Y pipe rather than just running true duals or perhaps an X pipe?

Mine are true duals and it sounds sweet!!!

especially with that cam from Krc performance.

Make sure that you get some sweet vids of it up!

Old 01-09-2008, 01:25 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

i wish i could get a set, i have to pay 5350 for college this semester. What a freakin racket

Old 01-09-2008, 05:16 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

ORIGINAL: bruno426

Is there any specific reason that you are going to use the Y pipe rather than just running true duals or perhaps an X pipe?

Mine are true duals and it sounds sweet!!!

especially with that cam from Krc performance.

Make sure that you get some sweet vids of it up!
Yes, unless your packing some serious horsepower, and have a large resume of modifcations, there is just no need for a true dual. Also, they throw codes off on these dodges. Fortunately this truck doesn't struggle in the loudness department either. I also already have a beautiful existing catback exhaust system on the truck now that is just waiting to be hooked into this ypipe/header combo, its goin to be killer lol. It's louder than my brothers F-350, and he runs a true dual on that 7.5L beast. It's a huge misnomer that true duals are "louder", and usually, they are actually quiter because there is less air being focused in one muffler. I don't plan to go any deeper into mods after the headers. Other than just a cold air intake and a throttle body. At that point, I should only be packing something inthe 280-285 h/p range.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:00 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope all goes well with the installation.

It looks like the shortest primary is about 23 inches
and the longest primary about 31 inches?

As you put those on
it would be valuable to other 2nd gen Ram owners
if you could make a guess
as to how long the primaries could be lengthened to
if those headers were bought uncoated
and cut near the rear merge adapter
and lengthened out with 4 extension pipes to the maximum amount.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:27 AM
CoastieJack
Rookie

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00
Dodge was smart and leaves so much room to get to those damn manifolds thankfully
You say that now, wait until you bust your knuckles up on the firewall, the fender, the coil. the header, the head, the the plug insulation, and something else I'm sure I'm forgetting. My knuckles still hurt from a week ago...

Old 01-11-2008, 12:20 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

HAHA gee wiz man, the guys here finally convinced me to try it myself, thanks for the optimisitic words. But if you saw my bros f350, you'd see what I'm talking about and why I think the rams look so much easier. His manifolds are like barried. Doug Thorley's directions say you need to "tip the engine up" to get them installed, it's going to be one pain in the ***. We aren't even going to attempt to do it ourselves on his truck, that stupid 460 is just way too much to deal with lmao. But after you look at his engine bay, and then you go look at mine, your just like ,"wow, thank you dodge".[8D]

Old 01-11-2008, 02:48 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure you are soaking those bolts a week ahead of time and do it with the engine warm and u should not have any issues (cant promise you wont) but make it just a tad easy for you..

Old 01-11-2008, 03:11 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

It's a good tip too I may add. I already have started soaking them in. I have to work Friday night into Sunday morning, but I'm rushing home to start in on the project. My goal is to remove the manifolds and get that y-pipe out of there. Then, install the longtubes. Monday morning I have an appointment with the exhaust shop, and my little dream is to drive down there with open headers and have him weld in the new y-pipe and connect the system. BUT, if it does not go well for me, I have the appointment for him to install everything as well, so I don't think anything can go wrong at this point.

Today, I'm going to make a video though of my exhaust. I always regret not taking a before and after video before I do something big. I want to be able to see if my exhaust gets routier after the headers or not. So that's going to be fun! Then once I get the headers put in, I'll post a video up of the truck before and after the headers and y-pipe are in, should be a cool contrast.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:31 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Fellas, I don't think this guy right here is going to be able to sleep tonight[8D]! Heres the story. Today was supposed to be my day off to work on the headers. And man was it a nice day! 45 degrees out, no clouds in site, just a perfect day. Listen to this....I opened the hood up to start in on the project. I had the bolts soaking the last couple of days.. I go to open the hood, and literally as I'm opening it, I GET THE PHONE CALL. One of the staff didn't come down to work, and I had to rush down to work to relieve the morning person! I was so livid. This is why I am glad I made the appointment as well. So now I won't get to try it myself, but I don't care too too much, because they are getting put in tomorrrow. I cannot wait! I think my cat will have to be pushed back a lot more though, I mean it's only like 8 inches from the existing ypipe right now, and obviously the headers are going to come down a lot more. Doesn't matter, the guy can figure it out. I'm just so amped. I was looking underneath the truck today, and was looking at how small and ugly that stock y-pipe is, in some spots its like 2.25", its pathetic. I can't wait to have those giant longtubes connect into that 3" mandrel bent y-pipe that butts directly into my 3" gutted cat and into the 44. It's going to be a complete 3"+ system (longtube headers w/ 3" y-pipe, 3" gutted cat, 3"in/2.5" dual out super 44, 4"x22" tips). This truck is already silly sounding and performing as is, I'm just so anxious to see how much louder she will get, and how much faster she will be. Anyway, of course it's going to blizzard tomorrow, so I wont even be able to speed, but at least I'll make a video of how she sounds starting up and revving etc. Cant wait guys! I'll have vidz up by tomorrow night, rock on! I'm gonna shoot a video tomorrow morning before I drop it off, so we can compare and contrast!!

Quick Reply: Pix of the Headers