2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Getting new truck, how is this one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:55 AM
jstnumber73
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting new truck, how is this one?

Im going to a used dealer tomarrow to look at this truck. http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

Could anyone give me anything to look for and how much this truck is worth? Im gona give them all cash too. I fell in love with this truck just looking at iton the internet. I had a Ram 1500 before but it was v6 2wd reg cab 97.Thanks!

Update:Took a test drive today.... wooo! i love the 360. lol the truck was beutiful, but it had some problems.
first it had rust on the drivers side door that you couldnt see unless you looked at that spot. Easy fix? second was and i dont know if this is a problem but it had alot of play in the wheel. Dont remember my old 97 1500beinglike thatlike that.kinda felt like it waanted to go to theright.Now this next one could be big or could be small but when i was on the highway I floored it and a wierd whistle/tick/knock noise came form up front. It very hard to describe. maybe it was pinging? But it had plenty of power. The fron left speaker was blown ( Not a big deal I work at best buy lol planned on replacing the audio anyways) I said 6 grand he said 6400. Im pretty sure i can get him to 6 though tomarrow. There were no leaks. and bearly any rust on the buttom. The exaust was pretty big, are they like this from factory? My v6 had alot smaller pipe. other than the problems i loved it! Just caustious about the engine. If i had to how much for a new engine installed later on?What are your suggestion regarding the truck?Thanks guys!

Old 01-12-2008, 10:18 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Getting new truck, how is this one?

looks like a nice truck.
kbb says for condition fair=7200 good=8000 excellent=8600.

i'd say its worth about 7000
see if you can get it for 6500 cash

things to watch for.
poor drivability and steering wander.
low power and pinging under load (leaky plenum - every one of them does this, its unavoidable)
make sure 4wd engages and runs smooth and quite in short 'straight' test drive. it will fight you in the turns thats normal. you should not drive in 4wd on dry pavement other than a short and straight test drive. if you do you'll feel all kinds of binding. =normal.
starts easily, idles smooth, NO skip (cracked heads)
smooth trouble free transmission shifting !!! these trans are weak ! and prone to failure. if it gives any hint of trouble, then assume that's why its for sale and assume it needs a $2000 transmission replacement. take it on an EXTENDED test drive of at least 15-20 miles to expose what really happens when it warms up.

i'll try a link here, don't know if it will work or not...
http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pric...uizConditions=

Old 01-12-2008, 11:02 AM
jstnumber73
Rookie

What do you mean no skip?

Old 01-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Bluebone
Rookie

Aside from what dhv said above, my number one piece of advice is look at the very bottom of both doors inside and out for rust and bubbled paint. This body style has a rust problem in that area.

Secondly, get dirty. Crawl under the truck as well as you can to look for leaks and wet spots around the oil and trans pans, transfer case, differentials, and wheels(brake fluid).

Ask them for a carfax report or similar. It may help expose something you wouldn't like or nothing at all, but it's worth looking into.

I shop by instinct as much as anything else, but don't let your enthusiasm for this particular truck blind your judgement, especially where a dealer is involved.

Have fun and I hope it turns out to be a truck you are happy with.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:58 PM
jstnumber73
Rookie

anyone have any input from the update?

Old 01-13-2008, 10:17 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a pretty clean truck!
Any signs of fresh paint or body work.
Loose steering could be a worn trac bar. It's commonly overlooked.
Does it come with any safety inspection or certificate?
If it runs smooth and shifts properly It's probably good to go.
Question any funny engine noises or suspension clunks or bangs.
Pop the hood and listen to the engine on a cold start. (have someone else start it while you listen closely) also look for any puffs of Blue or white on start up.
Check the fluids and make sure they are reasonably clean.

Good luck

It's a nice looking truck

Old 01-14-2008, 11:48 AM
ozyran
Professional

Do this, if you can: remove the air cleaner from the throttle body, get a flashlight, and shine it through the throttle body. If you see oil in there, then she might need a new plenum plate gasket.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:55 PM
jstnumber73
Rookie

Well i bought it today... almost lol. I put a 500 deposit untill i have the money to pay full cash next week. came too 7150 with tax dealer fee and registration. I got to test it out again today in the snow. Wow! Im in love with that truck.I dont think theres anything wrong with the plenum. It def doesnt feel like it has a loss of power.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:25 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats!
Welcome to the 2nd gen club

Old 01-14-2008, 03:55 PM
jstnumber73
Rookie

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Getting new truck, how is this one?