2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How free is too free? (exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:39 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How free is too free? (exhaust)

ORIGINAL: pcfixerpro

ORIGINAL: ICEMAN_CH

grrrrrrrr

1st no such thing as to free flowing. End of story.

2nd The most impotant thing to remeber is exhaust velocity. If your exhaust is sized to big then the exhaust slows down and cools wich means it is harder to get out of the exhaust pipt meaning less engine power. Ideally the entire exhaust would be heat wrapped to avoid any heat loss.

3rd 20DodgeNeon has a sick sounding truck and I'll be running a system almost exactly like his minus the cat. However technically 2.5 duals are a tad to big for the 5.9. They are way to big for a 5.2. Again end of story don't argue with me 20DodgeNeon I'm not starting a fight I think you know what your doing and your truck sounds great but, the fact is 2.5 is to big for the 5.9. I went with 2.5 because I'll be getting into heads, cams and possibly stroking the motor. Just because it sounds cool dosen't mean it's doing a good job.

4th 2.25" pipes will be perfect for the 5.2 and will leave you plenty of room to grow. If you want to run one pipe then go 2.5". If your going to run true duals you might be able to get away with 2.25 but, you would have a ton or room to grow and would have to do a ton of mods so you might want to go one size down.

5th This is extremly important if you want to gut the cat then you need to put a pipe in place of it and wrap that pipe with the cat so that it looks like it is still there. While gutting the cat does add power putting a pipe in place of it will definetly add power.

6th this is the last one. for all of you who think backpressure is real try this. Install a system that is to big so that you can feel the loss. Now kink like he asked about and let me know how much more power you loose. Thats about as dumb as running the exhaust into your intake.

First wanted to take a second and say thanks for all of the input asI just now had a chance to sit down and take a look at things. I'd also like to say sorry ICEMAN_CH as I have seemed toticked you off a bit with my use of words. In response to your "there is no free flowing, how else do I describe what im talking about w/o saying in that sort of way? Just curious. Also my use of the word backpressure is in the same sense. I know where you are coming from, but if you say backpressure, even an average n00b can pick up on it. Just some food for thought.

After posting, I have done some more thinking. As 20DodgeNeon00 I believe is trying to say, does the 2.5" pipes really make that much of a difference as far as past the muffler? I mean, lets look at it this way. How many people dump their exhausts right out of the muffler. If you had the same si/do, it would be like running dual 5"+ tips (i mean there is no limit really). While the exhaust isnt running through pipe anymore.... does that really matter. Now no one jump down my throat here because I asked if it mattered, I mean think about it at least. I would resort back to a si/si, but for one i like the dual setup, and for two the whole reason i would want this kit is because its mufflerless minus the resonator tips that act as the muffler. If i could find a legit mufflerless exhaust such as this, then by all means, but if not, ... guess I would want this. Basically I've never messed with a high flow cat. I didnt want to have it flowing too free as to lose a lot of torque (sorry ICEMAN_CH). Well thanks for taking your time. As always it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
pcfixerpro
I wasn't mad at all and I wasn't trying to jump down your throat sorry. It's just alot of people on this site keep going on about backpressure and things like that when if they did their research they'd find out that no back presure is the best backpressure. I would think the best exhaust system would be a set of longtube headers conected with a y-pipe and then having maybe a 3 foot 3" pipe and nothing else. This way your getting the scavanging affects from the headers and there is no restrictions in the system at all. The reason we don't do this is because of the noise and the exhaust finding its way back into the cab. Think of the exhaust system as a straw. If you put the straw in water and then plug one end the water stays inthere. It's the same with your exhaust if there is a bottleneck anywhere in the system it will affect the entire system. By going to larger pipe behind the muffler theretically you will be creating a bottleneck because the exhaust gas will cool down and slow down. Once the exhaust gets to the atmosphere it no longer affects the system. Will you notice the bottle neck behind the muffler? Probably not becaue you'll be taking out one of the bigger restriction the muffler. This increase will also be noticed when replacing the cat.

Sorry for any mispelling or poor grammer. It's early in the morinng and I don't have any time during the day to post anymore. So I'm trying to hurry.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:27 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Haha, its cool ICEMAN_CH,and I wasnt trying implying that you jumped down my throat. From hankL's information (thanks) and ICEMAN_CH's, the least restriction is a good thing. But at what point in the exhaust system does that matter. We already know that stock size out of the cat is 2.5" which will still be retained. 2.25" pipes are still allowing for major expansion as well as the 2.5" duals would,as it will be double in size (combined output)after the y pipe. Would that not be equivelant to dumping the exhaust since it can't fill 5" of pipe as itjust wants to fill 2.5" stock? As mentioned earlier, 3"is the max for the 360 single. even @ 2.25" with 2 pipes = 4.5" total output size.Im already1.5" above max output for a 360 for those pipes, and i have the 318.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:47 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW !!! very intresting ... as i have more experience then all with changing exhaust , but ill keep my findings to myself... look at the guys that run 3" pipe and the location where they live....i felt more at 1500-2500 rpm with 3" pipe with dual 2.5" then i did with stock 2.5" or single 2.5" ,dual 2.5" or 2.5" with gibson , flowmaster , magnaflow , xlerator , flopro.. should i go on ??? cause i will go with you all , all day long... going from a 2.5" to a dual 2.25" does not make you think you know better about exhaust..

Old 01-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

...look at the guys that run 3" pipe and the location where they live.....
Ahhhh, this is another good point. Altitude. More so on the intake side, but what you intake, you also exhaust. Perhaps this is why i felt 3" was too much on my truck.
But PA, didn't you change your exhaust back to 2.5" from 3". I though we had had this discussion not long ago, and you agreed that it helped your truck and you thought it would be a good idea on my truck. Maybe i'm thinking of someone else.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:03 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00

Please do not waste your time running 2.25" piping[8D]. If your running a nice high flow cat, and a y-pipe from that, then you'll be quite alright. It will sound good too I am sure. I just think it is so ignorant waisting your time with 2.25". Maybe if it's a true dual then yeah sure, 2.25". But these are fake duals as Cereal says, so it's quite ok. And you can find better tips to match with 2.50" piping.
I think it is ignorant saying you are wasting your time with 2.25". For true duals with no Y pipe 2.25 is about perfect for a 318, though If you went with a Y 2.5 would be better. If you had a 360 I wouldnt go bigger than 2.5 (do as I say not as I do, my setup has a littlehigher aspirations.) High flow cats help, muffler is really your preferance. My favorite for true duals is magnaflows muffler thats dual in dual out with the X pipe inside. It sounds good, and saves you money by having the crossover inside the muffler rather than having to buy a crossover and fit it someplace else. (thats actually something im contemplating going with)
That was exactly my point though. I said 2.25" makes most sense for a true dual. BUT, if your running a fake dual, then 2.50" is fine. I'm not going to get into a fight about this, but everyone just reads too much into this exhaust crap. It's just a fake 2.50" dual from the cat ppl, thats not a big deal. Gains are going to be minimal across the boards anyways, we all know that like I said before. All exhaust systems have their sweet spots as we have all indicated. Some are geared for torque, some for mid range and upper range. Obviously PC told us he wants some torque, so if you really want the torque or don't want to risk loosing the existing torque you have now, then sure, go with the 2.25". I just think if your going to do an exhaust system, you might as well get it done right and get the best overal median. If you loose a little torque, your going to be talking MINIMAL, I dont know why everyone insists this is a big deal. While you may loose a tad torque, your mid ranger and upper end will accell, but again all in all, it's going to be minimal. Look at my situation for christ sakes, I'm running a complete 3" system right now from the header collectors back, and that would be considered WAY OVERSIZED. And guess what, my 0-60 lost about a 1/2 second, but guess what also, my mid ranger and upper end got much better. I dont even have an intake or a bigger throttle body, and my truck was hardly affected. So remember, exhaust system gains and losses are going to be minimal in the first place. That system you have in mind is a nice system, and I think if you slap that nice mandrel bent 2.50" system from the catback, your truck will see improvements across the board, but again, nothin too big. Everoyne can get their pants up in a bunch over a catback system, but really, not that big of a deal fellas. To top it off, if you put in intake on your truck (or if you already have one) and then a fastman, it will be even better. Everyone...relax, 2.50" catback system, perfectly fine...that's my 2 cents. Everyone has their own opinion, but here is mine opinion[8D].

Old 01-23-2008, 11:16 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct silver...each person or truck its gonna be different .. for example .. me and silver are neighbors ( god help us) same truck same year same exhaust with the same mods.. guess what ,heloves what he did to his exhaust, on another hand i felt like something is missing .. ??? i can sit here all day and say go with 3" dual 2.5" and u will love it..NOT !!! whatworks for me will not work for you... my stock 96 after the cat came with 2.75" stock with 2.5" single out.....Like i said my truck pullsfrom 1500-2500 rpm and i seem to hit a wall at 3000rpm.. But i will say this if your not gonna do anymore mods , im talking about serious mods stay away from long tubes..

here is a question for neon.. why did you go with the long tube headers ???

Old 01-23-2008, 11:16 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00

That was exactly my point though. I said 2.25" makes most sense for a true dual. BUT, if your running a fake dual, then 2.50" is fine. I'm not going to get into a fight about this, but everyone just reads too much into this exhaust crap. It's just a fake 2.50" dual from the cat ppl, thats not a big deal. Gains are going to be minimal across the boards anyways, we all know that like I said before. All exhaust systems have their sweet spots as we have all indicated. Some are geared for torque, some for mid range and upper range. Obviously PC told us he wants some torque, so if you really want the torque or don't want to risk loosing the existing torque you have now, then sure, go with the 2.25". I just think if your going to do an exhaust system, you might as well get it done right and get the best overal median. If you loose a little torque, your going to be talking MINIMAL, I dont know why everyone insists this is a big deal. While you may loose a tad torque, your mid ranger and upper end will accell, but again all in all, it's going to be minimal. Look at my situation for christ sakes, I'm running a complete 3" system right now from the header collectors back, and that would be considered WAY OVERSIZED. And guess what, my 0-60 lost about a 1/2 second, but guess what also, my mid ranger and upper end got much better. I dont even have an intake or a bigger throttle body, and my truck was hardly affected. So remember, exhaust system gains and losses are going to be minimal in the first place. That system you have in mind is a nice system, and I think if you slap that nice mandrel bent 2.50" system from the catback, your truck will see improvements across the board, but again, nothin too big. Everoyne can get their pants up in a bunch over a catback system, but really, not that big of a deal fellas. To top it off, if you put in intake on your truck (or if you already have one) and then a fastman, it will be even better. Everyone...relax, 2.50" catback system, perfectly fine...that's my 2 cents. Everyone has their own opinion, but here is mine opinion[8D].
Well I appreciate you opinion. And as far as this entire discussion goesI consider it fufilled so continue if you must, but it has served its purpose in my book. Thanks everyone. Sorry 20DodgeNeon00, but I have 2 do it. lol... Just as the bold says... "I just think if your going to do an exhaust system, you might as well get it done right....." AHAHAHAHAH lol... should'a installed them headers yourself.But you did admit that you lost some torque, but now you say that it isn't a big deal. As I recall at first, you were extremely pissed! You hoped you would gain (as well as I would have thought to happen). Either way man im just busting your ***** a bit there. It was ment as a joke.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After the reviews I've read about the Pacesetter long tubes I'm staying the hell away from them and investing my money in more of a quality product. I'm thinking Gibson stainless steel shorties. Skylined said he had all kind of trouble with leaks in the Y-pipe and I remember when they were originally shipped they were all ****ed up to begin with. Plus thestupid ceramic coating thats $200hasto be stripped off to weld them, and I don't really feel likeputting band clamps on a$700 exhaust system.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

...me and silver are neighbors ( god help us) same truck same year same exhaust with the same mods..
Actually, my truck is a '99 and I have 1.7's and a B&G flash, but otherwise, same.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:21 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Personally, I feel bad how I gave such initial bad bad press on the pacesetter longtubes. My enjoyment of them has been completely sapped because of the jerkoff job I got from the mechanic. The truck is currently being fixed right now and all leaks are going to be addressed. I also told him the y-pipe isn't the best of quality, and to do what he can do to make the leaks go away. But beside that, I just have to bring it back home that these headers are very badass. They make the truck sound amazing, and I actually have a mid range and upper end now. Now for the torque, any longtube header is going to make you loose torque, and me, I really didn't know how much. Like I said to varify this, I had a 8 second 0-60 without the headers, and now I have 8.5-9 second 0-60. But still, I cannot completely confirm this seeing I have had so many variables and obstacles this last week interfering with that (air in the coolant system, cat put right after passenger collector headers, exhaust leaks, and truck running rough). When I get my truck back, I am going to do a complete whole new line of tests. As it stands now, even with all those ****ty variables the truck still runs an impressive 0-60, and thats with nothing done to the engine keep in mind. So again, sorry if I have scared people off with the headers, its my fault, the headers themselves rock, but some symptoms I got stuck with tainted the whole header experience on me. I am anxtious to get my truck back and relive the beautiness of badass longtube headers on a badass truck, I'll let you all know how the truck runs and performs with all the variables fixed!

Quick Reply: How free is too free? (exhaust)