2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How free is too free? (exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:11 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How free is too free? (exhaust)

I'd definetly buy headers from John Mercedes before i'd ever by anything from Pacesetter. He spends a great deal of time engineering his stuff, and they are designed specifically for Mopar Magnum v8's, and nothing else. They are pricey though, but worth it i'm sure.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:51 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: xskylinedx

Just something I forgot to mention. I know I've been going "my mechanic this .... my mechanic that" alot lately and thats because he's been a mopar guy for YEARS and he's known for being an excellent mechanic. Most of the people with hotrods or racecars go to him to get things straightend out, he's good. With that said, he told me that he pretty much always suggests shorty headers for magnum motors unless the guy is rolling with more mods. Just thought you might like another opinion.

well to be quite frank....your mechanic is a fu*king retard. No one in their right mind would advocate shorties for any setup to make power UNLESS there is a fittment issue. Thats why they were invented, thats the only thing they are good for. IMHO

Old 01-23-2008, 11:58 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

LMAO, thank you! Man, you talk to anybody, longtubes are always suggessted. If your not going to do longtubes, I'd rather just stick with the manifolds. Like I always say, if I'm going to do it, I am going to do it. Right now I obviously haven't gotten to maximize my longtubes, but once I can afford more mods, they will be way worth it in the longrun!

Old 01-24-2008, 12:17 AM
v10power
Professional

Well about the long tube issue i wouldn't want to run long tubes on my truck. On anything they will loose some torque and thats what i use my truck for. On my race cars i have long tubes. Thats just my 2 cents, which i'm sure others will disagree too. +1 to personal preferrances!

Old 01-24-2008, 12:39 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Cereal Killer

After the reviews I've read about the Pacesetter long tubes I'm staying the hell away from them and investing my money in more of a quality product. I'm thinking Gibson stainless steel shorties. Skylined said he had all kind of trouble with leaks in the Y-pipe and I remember when they were originally shipped they were all ****ed up to begin with. Plus thestupid ceramic coating thats $200hasto be stripped off to weld them, and I don't really feel likeputting band clamps on a$700 exhaust system.
I agree with you here. If I get headers I'm staying the hell away from Pacesetters. I don't know that I've read a good thing about them yet other than Indy Ram. I've been hearing horrible stuff about Pacesetter for a while. Even before they made the long tubes. From what I've read about them they just don't see to be of great quality. I don't think I'd buy them.

I'm starting to wonder if it's worth going through all the trouble for headers though. They look nice but I don't want to go through all that trouble so I don't know if in the future I will put a set on my truck or not. I've got a few other perfomance mods I'd rather do.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:51 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

This thread is rediculious.... Im going to start listing the things that make me laugh.

#1. Longtube headers lose torque
#2. Pacesetter headers suck (I have plenty of pictures proving otherwise)
#3. Headers are trouble...

WHAT IS THIS!!! Everyone is entitled to their oppinion...but when its wrong...

Old 01-24-2008, 01:13 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

I don't know that headers are trouble I've just read a few people having problems with them most of them seem to be due to the fact that they are of crappy quality. Then again I've read of lots of people that love them. Seems like you can see some nice gains with a good set.

I haven't read many good reviews of Pacesetter anywhere. You have any links to prove otherwise? I'm not trying to be a jerk I've just read to stay away from them a lot. Enough that I don't want to buy a set.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:37 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

Here is a link to the pacesetter header , its me i have the shorties on my truck , so far so good. the issue here that im seeing is people that break bolts dont bother to say it and blame it on the header or when they put the header gasket on and dont clean the heads up a little ,, alot of people shouldnt be messing with there truck to begin with...

Old 01-24-2008, 02:15 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

+1 10x and again.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/mrWilsoN87/

check out my album. those headers have been on since july.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:58 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with you, padodgeram. Every issue I've ever heard of with headers was not with the quality of the materials or tools involved, but the person performing the work.

I went to my exhaust man with my 1995 Dakota (5.2) and asked about headers once. He outright refused to put any headers on any vehicle anymore, he told me, because every one he had tried developed exhaust leaks. He told me that the newer engine blocks were somewhat rounded, and that every header he'd seen was flat where it bolted on. No matter what gasket he used or what he did, the people always kept coming back with exhaust leaks.

Whether that last part was a total B.S. excuse or an oversimplification because I was a dumb kid at the time (and he knew that), I don't know. But I've seen his work, he has a lot of talent for custom exhaust systems, just not headers evidentily.

Just for clarification, I'm not saying headers are a bad idea. They are definitely a good idea. All I am saying, from my very limited experience, is to make sure a novice isn't doing the work, as 20DodgeNeon00 discovered.

Quick Reply: How free is too free? (exhaust)