2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How free is too free? (exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 01:31 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How free is too free? (exhaust)

ORIGINAL: Cereal Killer

After the reviews I've read about the Pacesetter long tubes I'm staying the hell away from them and investing my money in more of a quality product. I'm thinking Gibson stainless steel shorties. Skylined said he had all kind of trouble with leaks in the Y-pipe and I remember when they were originally shipped they were all ****ed up to begin with. Plus thestupid ceramic coating thats $200hasto be stripped off to weld them, and I don't really feel likeputting band clamps on a$700 exhaust system.
I wouldn't count out the long tubes because of the y-pipe. I've noticed some good gains with them but I kept the system 2 into 1.I'm hopeing to see alittle improvement when I get the o2 sim installed for the rear sensor, Ithink the neutral value is causeing me to run a little rich.I did finally get the y-pipe sealed up for now, I just hope it stays that way. I talked to a rep from Pacesetter and told him the trouble I was having. He told me to let him know if I continue to have trouble with it, if I do he will send another y-pipe out no questions asked, and have the clearences checked before shipping it. I do agree that band clamps are silly, I would have gone with a collector flange or a ball and socket. I think what I've got on my truck is the bare minimum you need to run long tubes and anything shy of my intake mods would dog the truck. Thats just my opinion and I think if we've learned anything its that what one guy thinks works another guy thinks doesn't. (I still hate that y-pipe)

Just something I forgot to mention. I know I've been going "my mechanic this .... my mechanic that" alot lately and thats because he's been a mopar guy for YEARS and he's known for being an excellent mechanic. Most of the people with hotrods or racecars go to him to get things straightend out, he's good. With that said, he told me that he pretty much always suggests shorty headers for magnum motors unless the guy is rolling with more mods. Just thought you might like another opinion.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:46 PM
8t5gt
Veteran

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00

Please do not waste your time running 2.25" piping[8D]. If your running a nice high flow cat, and a y-pipe from that, then you'll be quite alright. It will sound good too I am sure. I just think it is so ignorant waisting your time with 2.25". Maybe if it's a true dual then yeah sure, 2.25". But these are fake duals as Cereal says, so it's quite ok. And you can find better tips to match with 2.50" piping.
ah come on 20 u hit a nerve there, thats what i run and u know it ahaha i just use adapters to run the 4' tips that i want its simple.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:06 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

After the reviews I've read about the Pacesetter long tubes I'm staying the hell away from them and investing my money in more of a quality product. I'm thinking Gibson stainless steel shorties. Skylined said he had all kind of trouble with leaks in the Y-pipe and I remember when they were originally shipped they were all ****ed up to begin with. Plus thestupid ceramic coating thats $200hasto be stripped off to weld them, and I don't really feel likeputting band clamps on a$700 exhaust system.

Pacesetters have been perfect for me...idk why you say they are crap

Old 01-23-2008, 07:06 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

LOL yeah but you run a darn true dual! True dual...2.25" fine...2.25" fake dual...not for me.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

Pacesetters have been perfect for me...idk why you say they are crap
I didn't say they were CRAP lol. Hell if they made stainless steel long tubes i'd probably buy them. and since most of the problems I'm hearing seem to be about the Y-pipe I'd probably still get them if I intended to run a true dual setup.But for now i was leaning more towards the idea of a 3" single outlet. And I don't like the idea that xskylinedx's came with dings and dents in them from shipping. I'm not saying they're out of my mind completley. I just wish Gibson or Edelbrock made stainless steel longtubes. If do run true duals I want them to exit behind the rear tires (same if I run the single 3") but i don't want the mufflers to hang down sideways like yours. Is there a was to do it without that? If there isn't it's no big deal, I'll just have to ditch my big boxy flowmaster 40 for a glasspack or something.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:01 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

the ONLY reason mine hang sideways is because i was trying to fit an entire exhaust system btwn where the headers ended and the rear of the cab...otherwise it will work fine. Im also thinking of getting a magnaflow dual in dual out with the X pipe inside of it and replacing my mufflers so its quieter and so i can go drive "off road" again

Old 01-23-2008, 08:30 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Hey Indy, I don't know if you have checked into dynomax or not, but I know they too offer that dual in dual out muffler that criss crosses inside of the muffler too, it's a pretty swift set-up, so check it out if you haven't seen it yet. Let me know if you get rid of your 10s though, because my brother may be exchanging his dynomax bullets on his true dual for those.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:33 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I just wish Gibson or Edelbrock made stainless steel longtubes. If do run true duals I want them to exit behind the rear tires (same if I run the single 3") but i don't want the mufflers to hang down sideways like yours. Is there a was to do it without that? If there isn't it's no big deal, I'll just have to ditch my big boxy flowmaster 40 for a glasspack or something.
Has anybody thought about looking into non mass produced longtubes? I know John Mercedes at SoutheastRT was trying to get me interested in a pair of their custom made longtubes. They can even jet coat them for you if you'd like. Check them out, they looked pretty good quality from the pics he sent me.

[IMG]local://upfiles/68540/3D72AC5345984BE79A9A36C0B0E456B9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/68540/08C91E11D06C4B6BB750D9EB43128740.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/68540/CBE287718A6846BAA5EB981A9D7157A7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/68540/AF056CCEE7124DA4934963EB6DF0E6A7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No ****... wow how to I get in contact with him. What's something like that cost? Hell that's the way to go...

Old 01-23-2008, 10:54 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

www.southeastrt.com

Quick Reply: How free is too free? (exhaust)