2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

strange acting thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 01:03 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: strange acting thermostat

double check that rad cap is the same "lbs rating" as the stocker, otherwise sounds like you got things under control.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:01 PM
danm9

none of this really explains why the gauge is spiking so high. i think i'll re-replace the sensor. do yo uguys know if there is only one temp sensor i should replace or is there another somewhere? thanks again for the help.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:59 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there is only one coolant temp sensor, on the front of the manifold, behind the alternator. the is an IAT intake air temp sensor, but its an engine tuning contol, also on top, front, passenger side of intake.

what did your top hose feel like when temp gauge hit about 190 ? hot or cold ?

Old 01-31-2008, 08:23 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: dhvaughan

installed correctly.
Whoa, whoa, *WHOA*!!! This isn't installed pellet side DOWN?!?!?!?! If that's the case, then mine's installed upside down, and has been causing me NOTHING BUT GRIEF for over a year!!!!! [:@][:@][:@]

Old 01-31-2008, 11:30 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

spring and sensor goes down. dome side up.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am going to double-check it this weekend. Boy, will I feel stupid if it's in wrong. [sm=bomb.gif]

Old 02-23-2008, 07:59 PM
danm9

ORIGINAL: dhvaughan

there is only one coolant temp sensor, on the front of the manifold, behind the alternator. the is an IAT intake air temp sensor, but its an engine tuning contol, also on top, front, passenger side of intake.

what did your top hose feel like when temp gauge hit about 190 ? hot or cold ?
so i checked those upper hose finally and it doesn't seem very hot until the 230-240 range. before that i think it's just engine warmth.

my gauge is still spiking very high before settling down tothe 210 range. i replaced the temp. sensor again and i also replaced the other sensor there while i was atit. both went down into coolant. i am at my wits end with this thing.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:36 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like a bum tstat.

Buy a new one and drop it in a pan of boiling water. Water will boil at 212* and won't get any hotter than that. if the Tstat pops open then it will open at at least 212*. Remove the heat source and put in a temp guage like a meat thermometer and watch the temp as the tstat closes, that's the temp that it opens and closes at in the engine. the tstat should close at roughly the temp stamped onto the tstat. If it doesn't get a new, more accurate tstat.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:43 PM
danm9

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

Sounds like a bum tstat.

Buy a new one and drop it in a pan of boiling water. Water will boil at 212* and won't get any hotter than that. if the Tstat pops open then it will open at at least 212*. Remove the heat source and put in a temp guage like a meat thermometer and watch the temp as the tstat closes, that's the temp that it opens and closes at in the engine. the tstat should close at roughly the temp stamped onto the tstat. If it doesn't get a new, more accurate tstat.
i thought it was a bad tstat too so i replaced it again and got the same results. with two tstat doing it i figured i could rule it out. do you think this could be a wiring issue from the sending unit?

Old 02-24-2008, 02:48 PM
danm9

ORIGINAL: VWandDodge

I am going to double-check it this weekend. Boy, will I feel stupid if it's in wrong. [sm=bomb.gif]

let us know man.

Quick Reply: strange acting thermostat