2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

*Post Header Install/Symptoms* (Fresh Start)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:57 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *Post Header Install/Symptoms* (Fresh Start)

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

I'm thinking there's a bad wire connection from the coil, or you're coil's going out. Check either the connection directly on the coil, or the coil connection on the distributor cap. The plug on the bottom of the coil is kind of close to the #2 exhaust header, maybe the mech pulled it loose on the swap.

A crossed wire will buck horribly right off the start, (i've done it) it doesn't need to warm up to show symptoms. A bad coil or coil connection can dump extra fuel onto the 02 sensors and cause the PCM to super lean out the fuel mix to make the engine starve for fuel.
The only problem is though is I just got a complete tune-up done yesterday (new plugs, wires, distributer cap, coil, and rotor). And she's still running terrible..hmm

Old 01-29-2008, 11:03 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

coil doesn't usually get replaced in a tune up, but the coil wire does. Ask the mech specifically if the coil was replaced.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:15 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

funny things about these coils , either they work or dont...
wonder if the plugs are wet , engine is getting flooded..
crank sensor control the injector ?? or cam sensor ? and the distb has a roll in it to....
or the pcm is taking a dump on ya..

Old 01-29-2008, 11:33 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

Man, this sucks for ya dude. When my truck would idle horribly it was the pre-cat o2 sensor that I replaced and rectified that problem. Of course mine is full of issues. I have a coolant issue as well, but all signs point to my heater core. I was reading some of this and kinda wondered, is there a possibility coolant got into your block via your mechanic's flub up? havn't seen anyone say anything about that but idk, just thought I'd throw something out there.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:02 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

I'm thinking there's a bad wire connection from the coil, or you're coil's going out. Check either the connection directly on the coil, or the coil connection on the distributor cap. The plug on the bottom of the coil is kind of close to the #2 exhaust header, maybe the mech pulled it loose on the swap.

A crossed wire will buck horribly right off the start, (i've done it) it doesn't need to warm up to show symptoms. A bad coil or coil connection can dump extra fuel onto the 02 sensors and cause the PCM to super lean out the fuel mix to make the engine starve for fuel.
The only problem is though is I just got a complete tune-up done yesterday (new plugs, wires, distributer cap, coil, and rotor). And she's still running terrible..hmm
I watched your vids and never say your idle drop to 200 like you said. Not calling ya out, but in teh vids i saw it drop to just above the 500 mark. Mine likes just a hair above that line when hot and idleing. Exhaust sounds like a sweet cam. Just a heads up, I wouldn't take to the dealer at this point. Having that gutted cat is going to be one of the first things they suggest you change. I can almost bet on it. They will blame that as the problem expecially after they look at the codes. Even though your not having any luck with shade tree mechanics, I look into swaping them o2. Think about it here for a min... How many times did your mechanic fumble around with that o2. It ran fine after he did it the first time rite? Well... if he pulled it out again and knocked it somehow or something wierd. Exp if the o2 is the stock 1. By now i'd invest in a set reguardless. As a last resort i'djust go to the dealer and ask one of the techs to come out for a min and take a look. If you drop it off, they are gonna double pound you ... u know where . Lets also think this through... your mechanic had to re-pull the headers off to pull the rest of the bolts out right? It ran right the first time you got it back. but again he had to re-pull it back off, so what if he did swap 2 of them. You get the tuneup at this other place and they swap 1 wire at a time. Leaves you with the same fumbled wiring again. I would honestly recheck your wiring!!! heck, 5 more minutes of your time to follow each one individually is worth it imho. Tripple check. Ill post the firing order. Print this out and make sure.

Good luck!

[IMG]local://upfiles/60925/3B7DF665113C4B78AE6A2CC5D5F18D93.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-30-2008, 12:24 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 20DodgeNeon00
Are those the new plug wires in the pictures? At first, I just thought they were dirty, but if those are new, why is the #1 wire and #3 wire so dark? Are they fried?

Old 01-30-2008, 12:41 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do look dark near the plug boot. If you start your truck at night and look under the hook at the dist. do you see it lighting up?

Also plug wires 1 and 3 look to be touching. Are they? I'd fix that if they are although it probably isnt your issue.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:45 AM
johnjokela
Veteran

no plug wires mixed up? and hopefully they cleaned your heat shields out before they pulled the plugs , so the dirt that was inside them didnt all go in your motor,what does your guy's rams idle at? mine idles at 600rpm at about 4500 ft level, normal? OR the **** BRICK MECHANIC WAS PISSED AT YOUR TRUCKAND THE JOB! AND****ed it up on purpose,[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 01-30-2008, 12:53 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

600 is fine, im usually inbetween 500-600.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:25 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Tug on the wireing harness for the coil...see if maybe the ground was pulled out and he just stuffed it back in

Quick Reply: *Post Header Install/Symptoms* (Fresh Start)