2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what is the keg mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:51 AM
jarebear86
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the keg mod

what is the keg mod and how do you do it because i keep hearing about it but have no idea how to do it or what it is. if someone knows what it is at least please let me know and if no one feels like explaining how to do it if they can send me a link with how to do it i would apperciate it. thank you.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: what is the keg mod

There is a thread about it in the DIY up above, but I am in the middle of doing mine as we speak, and will be posting a complete new write-up for the DIY. In a nutshell though, it is where you cut the runners down inside the intake manifold, and clean up the ports and injector bosses. I cut the runners last night (took about 20 minutes), and then cleaned them up to make them have smooth rounded edges (took about 2 hours), and did the injector boss clean up (took about 10 minutes). Since i'm using an intake out of a '97, it still has the center divider. I still need to cut it out, then i'll have a little better access to smooth up the runner edges some more, and i'll be done. Look for complete DIY post on it by sometime early next week.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you do is cut down the runners and the divider. It's not really worth the hassle unless you're already going to have your intake off for something else (plenum gaket repair, headgasket repair, rockers, etc.)

Old 01-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Cereal Killer
All you do is cut down the runners and the divider. It's not really worth the hassle unless you're already going to have your intake off for something else (plenum gaket repair, headgasket repair, rockers, etc.)
Have you tried it?

From what i've read from everyone except IndyRamMan, it is definetly worth it. It also is not really hard at all. I think i'll have it complete in less the 5 hours of total labor on the intake itself. If you already have it off to do the plenum repair, that is not much time to add at all for a free performance mod. Or do like I did, and pick up a spare intake that you can work on at your leisure. I paid $25 for mine.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

I only cut my runners down, not the divider, and I only cut them down about 1 inch (more like 7/8ths of an inch). You could tell something was done, but I'm not sure it was worth the effort but it was a good opportunity to clean everything.

If Indyramman does happen to appear on this thread, what kind of paint did you use on your intake and how is it holding up. I think come warm weather I'm going to paint my intake the same color as the rest of my truck.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Wish I had time to paint mine before I reinstall it. That would look good. I'm just buffing it up with a brass wheel so it looks nice and shiney.

I cut about 1" off mine, maybe a little more by time I rounded/smoothed the edges. I'm also removing the center divider because it has it (since it came from a '97). The manifold that is on my truck doens't have a center divider at all, so the time to do the mod would have really been fast, maybe 2-3 hours at the most.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

I didn't know the later trucks models didn't have a divider...
I think i'd rather look for one of those and cut the runners again vs. trying to grind down the divider.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Here is a few pics of before and after. Still have more clean up to do, and of course remove the center divider, but it is coming along well I think. I'll have a lot more pics and info when I write-up the DIY over the weekend.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/00F1F55B9DFA496BA5084FC394B14A6F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/B02804A454C546398EC6A16C82A813A7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/CFFD81A605014C3AAA3D147BE7075823.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-30-2008, 12:49 PM
JCliffordd
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to comment on your user name because that my family's nickname for me which my name is Jared

Old 01-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Really, they call you Silver_Dodge. How strange.