2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rattling Catalytic Converter... but shop does not suggest Magnaflow at all

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 07:13 AM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rattling Catalytic Converter... but shop does not suggest Magnaflow at all

Gutting the cat is a great idea, not putting another one on, is a bad idea.
We get emission tested and they look for stuff like that.

I am due for a test on oct of 09. So I can just gut it for now, but I would have to do something meanwhile before oct 09.

I am sure I can cut the old one out and cut the end of it off and put on a universal for the test...? then put on the TEST Catalytic converter unit I have seen in other posts.

This truck is really starting to irritate me. I can see that my $45 Sears socket set is just not gonna cut it. I know I told my wife I wanted a hobby, but I wasn't planning on being a Mopar Mechanic.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:48 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Rattling Catalytic Converter... but shop does not suggest Magnaflow at all

I suggest you remove the old cat,

Gutting it opens up your exhaust to about a 5 inch pipe for about 10 inches. The exhaust gas velocity will slow down when it hits the open space, then you'll bottleneck it up again when it hits the CAT. You'll probably end up creating more back pressure than what you'd like to.

I find working on the truck quite relaxing. It gets me out of the house, The wife to be doesn't ask a million questions because she doesn't get it, I work out some aggression on an inanimate object, I get to practice my cursing, and there's a sense of accomplishment at the end that's quite gratifying. Better than shopping for bedding, curtains, or whatever other chore is on my "honey-do list" for the weekend.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

ORIGINAL: 98DodgeRam1500

Gutting the cat is a great idea, not putting another one on, is a bad idea.
We get emission tested and they look for stuff like that.

I am due for a test on oct of 09. So I can just gut it for now, but I would have to do something meanwhile before oct 09.

I am sure I can cut the old one out and cut the end of it off and put on a universal for the test...? then put on the TEST Catalytic converter unit I have seen in other posts.

This truck is really starting to irritate me. I can see that my $45 Sears socket set is just not gonna cut it. I know I told my wife I wanted a hobby, but I wasn't planning on being a Mopar Mechanic.
October 09? That's a year and half from now. You might have a whole new exhaust system my then. Besides I've passed emissions tests with gutted cats before, just not haven't done it with this truck yet (no reason to, it works fine)

I do agree with aimforsquirrels. The best way to do it is to run a straight piece of pipe through the gutted converter so it's still on there for looks but it's not creating a bottle neck. However the broom stick method beats the hell out of having a clogged converter. Your choice.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:25 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

wound up getting a Walker 50505 with a 8yr/80K warranty installed with both O2 sensors replaced for $825.
truck runs tight. hard to explain, but I was getting a ticking sound at higher rpms or under load from the valves.
now I can hardly hear the engine, but I can hear the exhaust. its not really louder, but sounds smoooother and and the exhaust sounds lower and richer in tone. just need to get past that burning smell you get at first with new cats.

Yes, it was a lot of money. its pouring out today and I was just fed up with the truck and said fuq it... its only money.

Reason for not getting the magnaflow...

the parts guy at a National Auto Parts supplier has a 99 RAM and tows a camper. he replaced his cat with a Magnaflow. it rattled after 7month and burned up his valves on cyl 7. Magnaflow would only replace the cat and not pay for the damage.
Then i called a performance truck company, and they only use Walker and Dynaflow on the Rams and Chevy. I asked why... same thing I have heard... Cheap parts. he did say if you don't care about quality, and not keeping the truck for a long time, get the dynaflow for $150.
I plan on towing, and keeping it for as long as i can, hopefully for 3-4yrs.

I don't know why everyone else here has no problems. I did find on a BMW site where people had issues with the 94004 cat on their BEEM'ers.

regardless, its done right (I hope).

Old 02-26-2008, 08:33 PM
TheForce55555
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Walker 50505 with a 8yr/80K warranty installed with both O2 sensors replaced for $825.
That is a ridiculous price man, you got totally shafted

I have a gutted cat and I pass emissions every year I get the truck inspected

Old 02-26-2008, 10:16 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

ORIGINAL: TheForce55555

Walker 50505 with a 8yr/80K warranty installed with both O2 sensors replaced for $825.
That is a ridiculous price man, you got totally shafted

I have a gutted cat and I pass emissions every year I get the truck inspected
I got shafted the minute I got this turd mobile.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:20 PM
TheForce55555
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it can't be that bad now, your halfway to a knew truck after all the new parts you installed

Old 02-26-2008, 10:25 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

ORIGINAL: TheForce55555

Well it can't be that bad now, your halfway to a knew truck after all the new parts you installed
I will admit... now that I have had all this work done, I notice a huge difference in the truck.
now I can hardly hear the motor and power is there and it pulls harder when I push the skinny pedal.

the next"planned" purchase will be tires beforethe end of this year, and maybe better brakes.

Quick Reply: Rattling Catalytic Converter... but shop does not suggest Magnaflow at all