2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rattling Catalytic Converter... but shop does not suggest Magnaflow at all

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:54 AM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rattling Catalytic Converter... but shop does not suggest Magnaflow at all

so my catalytic converter is making the rocks in a tin can sound. so I looked online and found a magnaflow Part# 94037. Seems to be rather popular around the forum as a replacement. I called the local muffler shop to find out if they can install it. I told him I was going to get the Magnaflow and he said he would not install it. They were junk and actually had them catch fire. He also said that he had to go to court and testify against magnaflow because they were not the correct heat range. he went on and on and said they only offer 1/16th more flow and its just best to look for a "Y" adapter and a regular catalytic converter.
I am going to call around to find out if thats the normal consensus.

Edit:
First Call was to Munro $900+ to replace w/factory unit.
Second call was to Midas $300 to gut the original and use a universal.

... will update by "edit" as I make my calls.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Rattling Catalytic Converter... but shop does not suggest Magnaflow at all

Interesting.

I'm on my second 94037. Only complaint I had is that the first one broke apart when I was on an off-road trip that was really rough and rocky. I think it just couldn't handle the vibration and jarring. The only reason I got another one the same was because the shop warrantied the first one, so I got the replacement for free, but only if I replaced it with the same part#.

As for performance, I could definetly tell a differnce at high RPM after I installed it. There is a very steep long hill that I have to drive up everyday for work. The first time I hit that after the cat install, I could tell that when I kicked down into third to try to accelerate up the hill, i just had more power and pulled up the hill much better then I ever had. My stock cat was still in decent shape when I did the original swap too, so it wasn't that I was comparing a new cat against an old clogged cat.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:46 AM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Default RE: Rattling Catalytic Converter... but shop does not suggest Magnaflow at all

think that it makes a difference since I have the 360?

I am going to drive on this cat for a while, since I am still waiting on my VW to get out of the shop so I can drive that while my Ram gets the tranny rebuilt.

then after its out from that, I will look more in to a cat replacement. I was thinking that after they gut it and cut in space for a new Cat, then I can look for any universal.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:47 AM
BoDuke1987
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been running the Magna Flow Hi-Flow cat on my truck for 1 1/2 years now, and I definitely could tell the difference in power, plus I have never had a problem with it. The race shop that put it on definitely recommended it for my truck.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:50 AM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

so it might just be this one shop owner that had one bad experience.
I will call some more. so far the lowest was $300 to cut my cat and add on a universal.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:53 AM
BoDuke1987
Rookie

The race shop charged me $169 for the cat, and then another $10 to cut my old one off and to weld the new one on. Look around your area at perfomance shops and such, those would be where i would go. I think they wold be cheaper than most places.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:05 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

go to summits website and buy one, then take it to a shop and say, put this on. youll come out cheeper in the long run

Trending Topics

Old 02-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya, when I had mine installed originally, it was less then $200 for the cat and the install combined (which I later got reimbursed for by Chrysler from their cat recall). $300 seems too high in my opinion.

One word of caution. It is not uncommon for the o2 sensor in the front of your stock cat to be seized up. This results from time, heat expansion/contraction, etc... Be prepared to also have to buy a new o2 sensor if the shop can't get your stock one out cleanly. Also, since your truck is a '98, that cat should work (it should be dual in/single out). There are some truck in '01 that were dual in/single out, but also some that were single in/single out (the y-pipe comes together ahead of the cat instead of at the cat).

Old 02-01-2008, 12:13 PM
BoDuke1987
Rookie

Mine isa single in/single out cat

Old 02-01-2008, 12:14 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

I am sure I am not eligible for the Cat recall since my truck has 105K on it.

I am just going to try that, getting the cat and seeing if someone will install it.

Quick Reply: Rattling Catalytic Converter... but shop does not suggest Magnaflow at all