2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

stupid move on my part!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 01:23 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default stupid move on my part!

yesterday i was going up a snowy icy driveway. i usally have it in 4 high, i had a lil trouble, so i though hey i never use 4 low, man what a diffrence ,got out no problem.nowe the dumbass part. i got onto the road, wet pavment. i was going bout 25 took it out of 4 low into 2 wheel, and had the worse grinding noise ,clunks and it was loud[:@], i got home ok , i hope i didnt hurt anything, i havent drove it since then, so hopefully when i go to use 4wd evreything will be good.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:08 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: stupid move on my part!

You should be OK but next time wait 'till your stopped or just slightly moving to engage or disengage 4low

Old 02-02-2008, 02:38 PM
zique
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, make sure you are stopped when shifting to or from 4low. 4 high is usable at lower speeds, but 4-low is not.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Make sure your tansmission is in neutral when shifting into or out of 4lo. If the truck is running try to have it rolling about 1mph. If the truck is stopped turn it off completley with the tranny in neutral, then shift in or out of 4lo. Then start the truck back up. That's the best way to avoid the grinding.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Dontdodgeitramit
Professional

I agree you should be okay. I usally just stop andleave it in nuetral to shift out of 4lo. Then I dont hear grinding.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:07 AM
cdusthockey
Veteran

you just got to push and pull that lever hard and fast. when you move it slow youll get the grinding. youll get some grinding but at least you know its in.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:40 AM
dishdude2k
Captain

ORIGINAL: cdusthockey

you just got to push and pull that lever hard and fast. when you move it slow youll get the grinding. youll get some grinding but at least you know its in.
do WHAT? ? hard and fast is good in some cases.. but not the transfer case.. be lucky u havent bent or broke anything.. to take it in or out of 4wd .. do EXACTLY as the others have said.. put the vehicle in NEUTRAL .. then shift it... not hard.. not fast.. steady... mine used to grind when i got it.. turned out all i needed to do was adjust the lever from under the truck.. a 9/16 wrench and 5 min later.. it was flawless.. and it has never grinded since.. just take it easy.. these trucks take a beating.. thats for sure.. but ya gotta take care of them as well.. why break something by being neglegent.. but hey.. who am i to tell you what to do with your 1500 bucks (on the cheap side) .. sure the transmission shop will like you

Old 02-04-2008, 02:04 AM
cdusthockey
Veteran

you really think i am telling him to be going 60 down the freeway and slam it in 4wd??? i hope not! i am just saying that when your stopped and in Neutral you should give it a nice pull to get it in and out of 4wd. sometimes it will get stuck between 2wd and 4wd. thats when pulling it a bit will get it in and out of 4wd.

Quick Reply: stupid move on my part!