2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dragging a boat anchor!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:40 PM
jperkins812
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dragging a boat anchor!!!

ORIGINAL: TheForce55555

Ha, my truck feels like a sloth too, i guess its a 318 thing, maybe its justs that mopar should have put bigger motors into these tank like trucks
Mine has it's days when it wants to get up and go, but some days it is worse than others. Hopefully next week I can get rid of the converter and see if it helps.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:16 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

DUDE my parking brake thing is broken on the inside. Like, when I pull it, it doesn't have any resistance, just slides in and out. could that be way my truck has such high rpm's when on the highway and i cant go past 72??????

Old 02-06-2008, 11:58 PM
techshooter02
Amateur

Thats never a good thing. when was the last time you checked your rear brake shoes?
and do your rear drums get scorching hot when you drive a very short distance?

Old 02-07-2008, 12:08 AM
kowboydmac
All Star

only replaced my front pads. not the backs. idk if they get hot. definitely something i'll check out though. it does take awhile to break. wow. can't believe i overlooked that lol. what's the best way to fix this if it is happening? just replace the rotor?

Old 02-07-2008, 12:16 AM
techshooter02
Amateur

My ram was having a hard time stoping recently and i just put new braks on it a year before and they where already gone, guess they were just cheep brakes.
worse case you would have to replace your rear drums if they are really deeply groved or seriously heat checked. But before or while your putting new brake shoes on the rear fix that e-brake cable and check where the cable hooks up in the drums to make sure nothing broke or came uncliped because it shouldn't just slide in and out.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:24 AM
kowboydmac
All Star

Yeah I def. need too. I'm about to go on a 800 mile trip and i've driven it over 1200 miles in the shape it's in, but def. something i need to check on.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:35 AM
techshooter02
Amateur

i would check it before going on any long trips. If there is pressure on the rear breaks they will get hot and very soon they will wear out and you will hear metal on metal from the rear and that would mean there is no more pad left on the shoes.

it only takes a few min to pull off the rear tires and pop off the rear drum to take a peak, but make sure you look at both sides on the rear.

In my case i had one drum that was very hard to get off took me almost 30 min of prying and twisting to pop that drum off. The shoe and pad seperated and had groved out the drum locking it in place. plus it had started to make the metal noise when i was out hunting 150 miles out in no mans land thats when the grove took place.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:15 AM
redram09

Had it up in the air last night...nothing binding or dragging. This process of elimination keeps getting me closer and closer to a transmission/transfer case problem - ouch!!![:@]

When I had the tranny work done one of the problems was the seal between the tranny & transfer (leaking from tranny to transfer). Hoping I can put this one back on the repair shop.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:09 AM
techshooter02
Amateur

i would still pull off the drums as soon as you get a chance just to be sure about the brakes, seems you said it dont feel like it is stoping like it used too.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:46 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

To replace drums, how much and how easy is it? I'd just assume put new stuff on there if i can do it as quickly as the front pads and under 100 bucks hopefully

Quick Reply: Dragging a boat anchor!!!