2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dragging a boat anchor!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:34 AM
redram09
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dragging a boat anchor!!!

My kid has been driving my '97 Ram 1500 4x4 - 318 for a while and I just got it back. When I pull out and start to accelerate it feels like I'm dragging a boat anchor down the road. Engine sounds fine...no smoke, no brake or clutch smell, no MIL light, rear end oil is fine. Any ideas where to start looking for a problem??? Could a bad cat be the problem? Doesn't feel like its the engine though - more like something in powertrain.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Dontdodgeitramit
Professional
Default RE: Dragging a boat anchor!!!

I would definatly check the cat. How many miles? Auto or Stick? But a plugged cat could cause some nasty acceration and driving without nessisarly making the engine sound like crap.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:06 AM
ron333
Captain

This may sound like a stupid suggestion, but check the parking brake by setting it then releasing it. The brake light may not be light but if the cable or any of the mechanisms are sticking, it would cause the truck to feel like that, but of course you would feel it as you let up off of the accelerator as well.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:25 AM
redram09

Definately not the parking brake sticking - checked that first. However, it feels like the brakes are dragging. I had it up on stands last night and the wheels turn free - nothing hanging up.

I notice some exhaust rattle last night, which is why I started leaning towards the cat. Question is would a bad cat feel like the brakes are dragging??? I've never had a cat SLOWLY go bad...just run fine one day then set the lawn on fire the next!!!lol

Old 02-05-2008, 12:49 PM
jperkins812
Professional

I have the same year, make, and model truck that you do and my truck has been doing that lately. I have days that it runs good and accerates like it is suppose to, and than other days it bothers me to pull out into traffic. I am going to get the converter cut off and get the rest of the exhaust replaced and see if that solves my problem.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:54 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

clogged cat will restrict engine from reving up, both in park and in gear. if it'll rev up and hold about 3000+ rpm in park, then its not the cat.

if not already checked, check each wheel for free rotation, brake drag, bearings, ujoints, drive shaft, etc. if you can, put rear up on jack stands and put it in drive and rev it up and see if you have any bind. careful, don't go too fast.

what happens if you just get out in the road and romp down on it. does it go, or pig out.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:54 PM
jperkins812
Professional

Mine pigs out.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:30 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

Ha, my truck feels like a sloth too, i guess its a 318 thing, maybe its justs that mopar should have put bigger motors into these tank like trucks

Old 02-06-2008, 11:02 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

ORIGINAL: TheForce55555

Ha, my truck feels like a sloth too, i guess its a 318 thing, maybe its justs that mopar should have put bigger motors into these tank like trucks
I dont know man, my pretty much stock 318 is quite a beast in my opinion. When she kicks down, she pulls like its her job. I actually semi-raced one of my buddys up a hill one time where it switched from a single to double lane with my 01 ram 1500 5.2L w/ 3.55's ext caband his 01 ram 2500 5.9L w/ 4.10's ext cab. Both with CAI's, and Flowmaster Exhausts, Guess who one? This was on a pretty steep grade and long hill, but I would have figured he would have won. Both because of his engine size, and because of his gearing. Mind you we again were going up a pretty steep grade long hill. I gun'd it and he gun'd it as we were side by side. I just kept pulling up the hill till and by the time i hit the top, he was way back there. His 5.9 may sound like it has more power, but it sure as heck lacked it up a hill.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:42 PM
redram09

ORIGINAL: dhvaughan

clogged cat will restrict engine from reving up, both in park and in gear. if it'll rev up and hold about 3000+ rpm in park, then its not the cat.

if not already checked, check each wheel for free rotation, brake drag, bearings, ujoints, drive shaft, etc. if you can, put rear up on jack stands and put it in drive and rev it up and see if you have any bind. careful, don't go too fast.

what happens if you just get out in the road and romp down on it. does it go, or pig out.
She'll go if I get on her and the engine will hold the rpm's...plus I'm not getting any misfire or other backflow issues. I recently had the original tranny (156,000 miles) flushed out and partially reworked. Tranny isn't slipping though so I doubt it's the problem. Will have to jack it up and check rotation.

I did notice that the brakes are heavy at the top of the pedal. Maybe they're dragging or my rear cylinders aren't fully retracting - they're originals too. thanks for the input!!!

Quick Reply: Dragging a boat anchor!!!