2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

what the best brake pads???????

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:23 PM
RamItOne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what the best brake pads???????

no its wear as well, i didnt believe it either until i asked the worker, and theres no minimum wear that needs to take place before you replace em, just that they arent worn to the metal. so thats why i figure replace them every 20k miles, so ill just do it every other oil change.

but if youre buying exp ones and still eating them i think the autozone is well worth the drive...
dont go with ceramics as it will eat through your rotors quickly, i sure as hell wont since i have to buy 4 new rotors then....

hers a pic, old 32.5k miles. it still had life but im fixing to haul/tow 8k pounds a little over 1,000 miles in a few day so figured it put fresh pads on.
i still cant remember what i sprayed on the pads but i like them better than that gel crap, its just a blue spray..

maybe if your rear end blows on you you may look into a 3rd gen rear. do you have a 1/2ton or 3/4 ton? the third gen rears 1500 will have single piston calipers and that the 3rd gen 2500+ have 2 piston calipers in the rear...

which still goes to why i say wow that the new tundra has 2 piston rears and 4 piston fronts...

[IMG]local://upfiles/80693/42FC43CC0D7C4B3B862E12A4D84120FF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-15-2008, 06:08 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1500 and hopefully my rear end wont go since I just had it all checked out and the bearings replaced along with a Auburn LSD put in. I have thought about doing a disk brake swap but don't want to spend that much right now on that when it stops fine it just eats pads quickly.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:49 PM
RamItOne

then autozone sounds like the best option once your current ones need replacing....

Old 04-15-2008, 11:38 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

Who know such a long thread would be just on pads? wow!

Old 04-16-2008, 01:52 AM
RamItOne

ORIGINAL: TIMIDONE

Who know such a long thread would be just on pads? wow!
Hey if this was a chick site I'm sure a topic on pads would go a lot longer than this.

Btw if you do go the autozone route they sell duralast and duralast gold, the gold are 10 bucks more, I asked why, they said longer life, I'm thinking I'm gonna be changing them at 20k and they both have free replacement, so I took the 20 bucks and bought a case of beer.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:45 PM
dram2001

Very enjoyable post...and I agree about thewomen's version of this pad posting....
Couple questions:

First time replacing brakes on my 2001 Ram 1500. Any suggestions on pads for front & back? This will be probably the last time I change these because I will sell/trade in this truck within the next year or two.
What about these for the rear: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...amp;perfCode=P

And these for the front: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...amp;perfCode=P

or these: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Stop-267...&carId=001

I know I seem like a cheap ***, but trying to not overspend unless one of you guys recommends otherwise.

Also, what about the Power Stop Economy OEM rotors. Basically I want something middle-of-the-road to balance quality with price. I will occasionally be towing an opentrailer or boat. Don't want to sink a lot into rotors and premium pads for 15K more miles. Also, is replacing my POS shattered dash too much of an undertaking by myself or should I just take that loss when I sell the truck?

TIA for any advice.

Quick Reply: what the best brake pads???????