2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Remote Starters? Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 02:20 PM
terranova
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Starters? Good or Bad?

Now that ive got almost 1500 dollars worth of car audio in my truck, i want to get a security system in it. Ive looked around and found out it can save me on my monthly insurance bill too. I was looking at this set, but i will have to have some one install it for me because i wont know where to start. Heres the link to the product http://www.commandoalarms.com/itm30032.htm
Are there any downsides to getting an alarm system and all that shnazz or is it just a good all around idead to do?

Old 02-26-2008, 02:40 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Remote Starters? Good or Bad?

cant think of a single down side to it, i have a remote start and locks on my truck and it sure does come in handy when its cold out....

Old 02-26-2008, 02:43 PM
terranova
Professional

Is there a specific brand of remote start thats better than the other? the one in the link i posted looks to be kinda cool. But im curious if i can remove it if i get a new vehicle someday. Do i need any extras to get it installed? Ill probably just have best buy do it for me. Which brand do you have? If you can link it that would be great! thanks!

Old 02-26-2008, 02:57 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

Yes you can remove them and have it put on another truck , car , It will depend who and how they install it , i do recomend a shop to install its a freaking amaze trying to figure it out but if they use quick disconects so all you have to do is pull it ...Who ever install it just let them know what you would like , im sure they will hook you up.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:16 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

Had a remote start on my last vehicle, I REALLY miss haveing it. Once you get one you'll wonder why you hadn't done it sooner and you won't want to go without it again.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:28 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

cant think of a single down side to it, i have a remote start and locks on my truck and it sure does come in handy when its cold out....
Remote starters and Keyless is awesome. the remote starter is priceless in our New England Winters.

Its also good to warm it up before driving to get all the juices flowing.

the keyless is great, but I also have to warn the garage (a place my truck spends most of its time) that the doors auto lock when started.

my next add-on is heated seats.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:29 PM
nolazach
Veteran

nice alarm even comes with an installation manual.
http://www.commandoalarms.com/FM-870install.pdf

Trending Topics

Old 02-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Mike Roma
Professional

If you have a garage, and remote start, here's an unlikely but possibly fatal scenario:

You start the truck (in the garage), then remember to do something, get distracted and fall asleep. The truck is still running and fumes start to seep into the house. The carbon monoxide makes you even sleepier, and you never wake up!

I know it sounds like a remote possibility, but it has happened here more than once. An entire family died not far from here once that way. I don't know if they had remote start but they did leave the car running in the garage.

Just something to be aware of.

I've never had remote a remote starter but I'm sure it would be nice up there in the cold winters. I'm in Florida. I guess I could use it to get the A/C going!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:57 PM
RamGuy318
Professional

i thought the remote starters when you start the truck only stay running for like 5-10 minutes?

Old 02-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Obiejuankinobie
Professional

I have a remote start. I like it but if your truck has a minor plenum leak it could use more oil at idle. Another noticeble think is the gasoline. For 5 days I was warming it up good. Then at the end of the week I realized I had more gas usage. Still can't beat a nice and toasty truck.

Quick Reply: Remote Starters? Good or Bad?