2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Those with 35's, 4.56, and auto trans, please read:

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Those with 35's, 4.56, and auto trans, please read:

Thanks Ron. Is yours an automatic trans? If so, are you able to get along in OD pretty good.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:52 AM
ron333
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. OD runs great in the rpm range it is now. Before I adjusted the cable, it would shift too soon into OD, and would act just like yours and so many others. By adjusting that cable, it doesn't shift until later and will shift out of OD sooner than before when trying to accelerate. I am about to leave in a few minutes, so I will be able to post what rpms it changes at when I get back, which should be early this afternoon.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Thanks. I may try this, and see how I like the change with the 4.10's. Then decide about 4.56's. Didn't get the tach installed last night as planned, so will be doing it tonight. Then I can compare RPMs with you all.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:47 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

I wonder if I could have my PCM flashed so that it doesn't go into overdrive until a higher RPM/speed then it does today. That would actually make the 4.10's a little better.
When I got my PCM reflashed after I had some issues with my Hypercrap.... The dealer reflashed the entire PCM (thank you newly aquired deathflash), and aparently there was a tranny update which they threw on there which changed the shiftpoint on my tranny in OD from 45 to a little over 50. (like 51 @ a hair under 1500 rpms with my foot in the gas) With my 3.55's it makes it easier for hills, but she still won't hold hills good hills until you hit 60 with a running start anyway. What sucks in my situation is when the speed limit is 55 and people speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down on this major road by my house. So I'll hit OD, then pop out, in and out where as if I didn't have the flash... she wouldnt. If I see that happening, I slow down to 30, and take over drive off. (I slow to 30 becasue I do not like the "tranny bump" when it shifts above 30). I figure with 265's in her future, the later OD shift shouldn't hurt me at all

Old 03-04-2008, 01:07 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pcfixerpro

I wonder if I could have my PCM flashed so that it doesn't go into overdrive until a higher RPM/speed then it does today. That would actually make the 4.10's a little better.
When I got my PCM reflashed after I had some issues with my Hypercrap.... The dealer reflashed the entire PCM (thank you newly aquired deathflash), and aparently there was a tranny update which they threw on there which changed the shiftpoint on my tranny in OD from 45 to a little over 50. (like 51 @ a hair under 1500 rpms with my foot in the gas) With my 3.55's it makes it easier for hills, but she still won't hold hills good hills until you hit 60 with a running start anyway. What sucks in my situation is when the speed limit is 55 and people speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down on this major road by my house. So I'll hit OD, then pop out, in and out where as if I didn't have the flash... she wouldnt. If I see that happening, I slow down to 30, and take over drive off. (I slow to 30 becasue I do not like the "tranny bump" when it shifts above 30). I figure with 265's in her future, the later OD shift shouldn't hurt me at all

try running 35s on a 3.55 gear... LOL... im gonna drop my superswampers and either go with nitto or a bfg and run a 34s on my new 4.56 and a new rebuilt trans...$$$$$ and people cry when they have a 2000 dollar bill....LMAO...

Old 03-04-2008, 01:27 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

ORIGINAL: pcfixerpro

try running 35s on a 3.55 gear... LOL... im gonna drop my superswampers and either go with nitto or a bfg and run a 34s on my new 4.56 and a new rebuilt trans...$$$$$ and people cry when they have a 2000 dollar bill....LMAO...

I think i'll pass on the 35's. While I'd like to go bigger, I cant afford gears. 265's Load range E will do just fine for me. And people do cry when they have a 2000 dollar bill. I mean if 2grand isnt that big of a deal for ya... I wouldnt mind taking a donation if your offering.[8D]

Old 03-04-2008, 01:34 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Its an omen. go with 456's lol

[IMG]local://upfiles/60925/734F84C0EA024239B7855E4BB95E44AB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

That's hilarious. Must be a sign I guess.

Now you know why i'm trying so hard to get so many different opinions on this topic as possible. It really isn't as simple as looking at an online gear ratio calculator and picking one. If that were true, my 4.10's should be yeilding me some great mpg with 35's. It is so expensive to do the gears, I don't want to have to do it again. I've even considered just doing the rear, drive it for a bit and see if it is going to work, then do the front to match, or redo the rear in some way. Either way, not going to be cheap if I pick the wrong gear set.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Ridesnowboarda15

Well dude I have 35's, auto tranny, and 4:56 gears. I don't know the RPM, but I did by the pro comp performance tuner and reprogrammed my speedo. I ended up payin about 1100 for gears and installation, and if your thinking about doing it, I would definitely do it. It was worth every penny IMO

Old 03-04-2008, 03:04 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Here's the calculator I use:

http://www.f-body.org/gears/

It'll give you tables of what your speed will be for every 100 rpms (IIRC) in each gear.
So you don't have to look it up:
1st- 2.45
2nd- 1.45
3rd- 1
4th- .69

Quick Reply: Those with 35's, 4.56, and auto trans, please read: