2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Those with 35's, 4.56, and auto trans, please read:

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Those with 35's, 4.56, and auto trans, please read:

Well, 4.10's and 35's are not really an option for me. If I lived somwhere that was perfectly flat everywhere, then they would be the way to go. But with any amount of hill (forget about the mountains), OD is unusable, at least with the tires I have. Perhaps a AT tread or street tread 35" tire might be a little better then the mud terrain tread i'm running, but I chose these tires for a reason that i won't bore you with in this thread. I also tow (including in the mountiains), so I need something with good towing grunt. So the options I have are to change gears to something that works better with 35's and towing, or take the lift down from 6" to 3", and buy new 33's that I already know work well with my current 4.10's. Neither option is cheap. Going back to 33's would be cheaper, but not really what I want to do.

Some days, i'm say to myself screw it, i'm getting 4.88's and my truck will be able to tow the side off a barn if I need. Who cares if it sucks on the highway, I rarely drive on highways with speeds over 55 anyway. Then otherdays, I think that I better be conservative, and go with 4.56. That way, it will hopefully do ok towing, and also hopefully be acceptable for the few times I get the thing on the interstate and need to go 75. Then every once in a rare while, I even think that I better just go back to 33's or even 32's and start acting like an adult and drive a regular plain looking truck that performs the way the factory engineers intended it too.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You should go with the 4.88 Silver, and here's my reasoning behind it...

1.) You have an automatic transmission
2.) You go offroad
3.) You tow
4.) You have a really nice truck and you might want to lift it higher and go with bigger tires someday
5.) You have a 318
6.) You undergeared the last time, and you don't want to make the same mistake again do you?

Old 03-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I agree with most of your comments except number 6. I geared from 3.55 to 4.10 when I went from stock tires to 33" tires, and it was perfect. That was not a mistake. It was then a couple of years later that I decided to go up to 35's. I knew that I would need gears when I decided to go to 35's, but I decided to try out the 4.10's first just in case they would be ok. That's where i'm at today. Just wanted to clarify that I did not undergear when I went to 4.10's.

Also, it would be just as bad to overgear as it would be to under gear.

I also will not be going higher then 35 (reasoning #4 above). I like to put my truck in the garage too much, and 35's and 6" of lift are the most I can do and still fit in the garage.

I'll probably get 4.56. I know that 4.10's are undergeared, and i'm worryied 4.88's will be too much, so logically, 4.56 would be the right choice. The question still remains though, what if 4.88 is not too much.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:19 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok silver , lets look at your towing and how far ? how many miles on the highway ? 2 weeks out of the year ? long miles when towing or short distance ??? answer me this....

Old 03-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

I agree with most of your comments except number 6. I geared from 3.55 to 4.10 when I went from stock tires to 33" tires, and it was perfect. That was not a mistake. It was then a couple of years later that I decided to go up to 35's. I knew that I would need gears when I decided to go to 35's, but I decided to try out the 4.10's first just in case they would be ok. That's where i'm at today. Just wanted to clarify that I did not undergear when I went to 4.10's.

I also will not be going higher then 35 (reasoning #4 above). I like to put my truck in the garage too much, and 35's and 6" of lift are the most I can do and still fit in the garage.
What I really meant by that was it would suck to have tore-gear it again. I mean it sucks having to do it once and it really sucks having to do it twice. I don'timagineyou want to do it a third for any reason.

That's cool that you can still fit your truck in the garage that high up. Most people I know who havestock trucks can't park in their garage.

I still think you should go with the lower gear ratio, simply because when do you wish you had less power? The truck is never going to get good mileage. I'd trade the extra 1mpg for the power. I mean you're already spending 1,500ish on the gear install, how much is5 extra bucks at the pump going to set youback over the course of the life of your truck?

That'd be kinda like if I took my motor and stroked it to a 390 instead of a 408 to try to save some gas.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Ok, here's how I use my truck. Let me preface this with the fact that I prefer to equip my truck to handle the stuff that I might only do 5%-10% of the time, even if that means I have to sacrifice a little for the other 90% of the time that I am doing normal stuff. I do this because I have too often found that when I need to do whatever it is that falls in that 10%, it is usually a situation where I need to know that it can handle it with out any concerns or else i'm going to be in a bad way (stuck or broke down).

--- My daily driving routine is a 30 mile round trip to work, mostly highway, but speeds only around 55 mph or less. I do this 4-5 days a week.

--- On the weekends, it's just mostly trips around town, all city driving, speeds of 50 mph or less.

--- I tow about 6-8 times a year. This is weekend trips mostly, and usually 100 miles or more, and almost exclusivly in the moutains. My total tow load weighs around 3000-3500 lbs. Doesn't seem like much, but when you get into high elevation on long steep mountain passes and trails, it starts to lug you down quickly.

--- I haul heavy loads most of the summer. Probaby haul loads of 1 ton or more an average of 10-15 times through the summer, various distances.

--- About 4-6 times a year, I take longer trips into eastern Colorado. This is a 400 mile round trip, all highway with speeds around 65 mph or less. Very flat terrain. Truck does ok with this as is. It's the only time the 4.10 gears pay off because I get decent mileage due to the extremely flat terrain, and the long uninterupted distances involved.

--- I get on the Interstate only about 4-5 times a year. Speeds are 75-80 mph, but I don't mind driving 65-70 instead.

--- Truck spends a lot of time off-road year round. Mostly in the form of dirt roads and working out in the pastures at the ranch. This is more common when conditions are bad, so lots of mud and snow conditions (this is the reason for the M/T tires).

---Lastly, I recreationally off-road the truck only about 2-3 times a year. This is mountain trips, trail stuff, but can be pretty rocky and some very very steep inclines.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

Let me preface this with the fact that I prefer to equip my truck to handle the stuff that I might only do 5%-10% of the time, even if that means I have to sacrifice a little for the other 90% of the time that I am doing normal stuff. I do this because I have too often found that when I need to do whatever it is that falls in that 10%, it is usually a situation where I need to know that it can handle it with out any concerns or else i'm going to be in a bad way (stuck or broke down).
Yeah I hear that. People think i'm insane to put mud tires on a truck that's my daily driver, but I'd rather spend a little more money, and get a few less miles on them than get stuck. 4-wheel drive is kinda worthless with highway slicks on it.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:14 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, here's how I use my truck. Let me preface this with the fact that I prefer to equip my truck to handle the stuff that I might only do 5%-10% of the time, even if that means I have to sacrifice a little for the other 90% of the time that I am doing normal stuff. I do this because I have too often found that when I need to do whatever it is that falls in that 10%, it is usually a situation where I need to know that it can handle it with out any concerns or else i'm going to be in a bad way (stuck or broke down).

--- My daily driving routine is a 30 mile round trip to work, mostly highway, but speeds only around 55 mph or less. I do this 4-5 days a week.

--- On the weekends, it's just mostly trips around town, all city driving, speeds of 50 mph or less.

--- I tow about 6-8 times a year. This is weekend trips mostly, and usually 100 miles or more, and almost exclusivly in the moutains. My total tow load weighs around 3000-3500 lbs. Doesn't seem like much, but when you get into high elevation on long steep mountain passes and trails, it starts to lug you down quickly.

--- I haul heavy loads most of the summer. Probaby haul loads of 1 ton or more an average of 10-15 times through the summer, various distances.

--- About 4-6 times a year, I take longer trips into eastern Colorado. This is a 400 mile round trip, all highway with speeds around 65 mph or less. Very flat terrain. Truck does ok with this as is. It's the only time the 4.10 gears pay off because I get decent mileage due to the extremely flat terrain, and the long uninterupted distances involved.

--- I get on the Interstate only about 4-5 times a year. Speeds are 75-80 mph, but I don't mind driving 65-70 instead.

--- Truck spends a lot of time off-road year round. Mostly in the form of dirt roads and working out in the pastures at the ranch. This is more common when conditions are bad, so lots of mud and snow conditions (this is the reason for the M/T tires).

---Lastly, I recreationally off-road the truck only about 2-3 times a year. This is mountain trips, trail stuff, but can be pretty rocky and some very very steep inclines.

I'll still say what I said before and that is keep your 4.10's, but if you really want to change, go with 4.56's. Anything more and your really sucking gas. For the trip's back and fourth to work...., you interstate run's... your other trips. I think 4.88's would give you a lot of lower end but it seems you need the upper end more than the lower end with your highway miles. Dont let the heavy load thing sway ya to 4.88's... shoot, i've done that with 1 ton + of stone in the back plenty of times. Haha, makes my truck level out ... plus a little sag. My tires are load range E, but are you mud tires capable of handleing that load??? Just wondering. As far as your offroading... and saying " lots of mud and snow conditions"... Let me ask how many times do you find yourself using 4wd in those conditions? Probably pretty often with lots of mud and ill raise my point in a minute. Your trips off road.. up very very steep inclines. If your going up those inclines, I know your probably in 4 LO. I think your 4.56's are gonna be fine and doubt you would gain much from going 4.88's with a trip that your already capable in 4.10's in 4Lo. Shove her in 4 lo and crawl up that hill.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Good points about the 4x4 usage. I'd probably be fine with either for the reasons you stated. My Toyo's are load range E by the way. And I use 4x4 a lot when off-road in the mud/snow conditions.

As for this comment:
ORIGINAL: pcfixerpro
Anything more and your really sucking gas. For the trip's back and fourth to work...., you interstate run's... your other trips. I think 4.88's would give you a lot of lower end but it seems you need the upper end more than the lower end with your highway miles. Dont let the heavy load thing sway ya to 4.88's...
Read my preface from a few posts up.

4.88's are like a beautiful siren though, calling my name from afar. I feel I just have to have them. I think i'll be going with 4.56 though.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:49 PM
kowboydmac
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm trying to catch on to what would be nice in my 2wd 96 360. Sounds like 4.10 would be too much if my stock is 3.55, but it's hard to judge what i'll be doing with my truck. It's only 2wd, but in Florida I'd go down some "dirty" roads. not muddy but definitely not asphalt. AT Tires handled them well. I just need more push, I feel like I'm hauling an anchor. gas suck now, so if it sucks .3 mpg more, ok I can suffer that, lol.

Wish I had 4x4 to help you out though, but I'm clueless on gearing. But I guess from a motivational standpoint, your really thinking this out, and all your conclusions have come too 4.56, other than the spurt of the moment of taking down a barn with 4.88, which doesn't seem like a daily thing for you.

Quick Reply: Those with 35's, 4.56, and auto trans, please read: