2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

It happen***UPDATE FINISHED***

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:23 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: It happen

Whats the deal with the resistor?

Old 05-07-2008, 11:27 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

probably to delay the electronic engagement of the OD, I would imagine. That's the only thing electronically engaged.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:37 PM
XXL 1500
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rabbler
I wish I had taken pics but back in '96 we had a wicked cold winter on the prairies. -40 almost the whole month. The trans fluid gelled in the coolers and the trannies literally melted. I have never seen such damage. Trans fluid blacker than diesel oil and overdrives that were turned to ash inside. Whole trannies were tossed in the junk pile because nothing could be reused except the case. You know the big spring in the overdrive you have to compress to get at the 2nd set of clutches? They got so hot all the tension was gone from the spring and you could compress it by hand.
It was quite a month!
WoW...
i have heard about this but never met anyone who actually went thru it!
dang, that spring requires about 840 lbs or so to compress, thats crazy!

i have definitely had my share of burnt up transmsisions...
alot ALSO were cooler problems...

Old 05-07-2008, 11:44 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

XXL,

What were the cooler failures you were seeing? Plugging up at the check valve?

Old 05-08-2008, 12:05 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rabbler

Whats the deal with the resistor?
line pressure resistor if you use a performance PCM..

Old 05-20-2008, 02:57 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

Well i burnt my overdrive gear again !!!!!! Thanks to dad , who got in a hurry jump in and drive the truck without checking that the check valve was not clogged , guess what , it was clogged , now i wasnt there when he first run the truck , he said that it made a noise when it was but in gear , was starving , but the noise went away and still drove it for a short time till i caught it , put new lines in good to go then the reverse was slipping , Hmmm line pressure to high ? part of the problem fix that . Drive it for a little shift good even in overdrive !!! No codes no OD light no over heating , weird , only slips in reverse , So went ahead and pulled the trans back out tear it down again look over everything and look at the overdrive , i was laughing and crying the same time and wanted to kick pops *** !!!! So now i ordered a remain overdrive unit with updated unit tougher internals ($$$) everything else looks good in the trans (thank god !!) soon ill be a pro at these trans.. dad only drove the truck 5 min for the overdrive to burn up.....Good thing : even tho the overdrive was burnt still shifted into it and ran good ( showed that we built a strong trans)

Old 05-20-2008, 11:08 PM
99blueram
Rookie

Pa, Have you had any problems with the front band anchor falling off. Just dropped pan today and found the anchor between valve body and case.Now i know why i have no 2nd gear. I also am going to rebuild my trans. Question for you, i am staying with stock pcm so what is a good shift kit for my 46RE. Truck is 5.9 and 2wd. BTW nice pics. I also will get rid of check valve and do new cooler. What is the sole purpose of the check anyway?

Old 05-20-2008, 11:41 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 99blueram

Pa, Have you had any problems with the front band anchor falling off. Just dropped pan today and found the anchor between valve body and case.Now i know why i have no 2nd gear. I also am going to rebuild my trans. Question for you, i am staying with stock pcm so what is a good shift kit for my 46RE. Truck is 5.9 and 2wd. BTW nice pics. I also will get rid of check valve and do new cooler. What is the sole purpose of the check anyway?
If your gonna rebuild the trans i would go with transgo TFOD-HD2 shift kit , check valve keeps pressure in the line for those who likes to jump in there truck and go (anti- drain back valve) , is it needed no , as long as you give the truck a few mins to run warm up in (N) then go , when my OD first went and i clean out the check vavle there was a little rubber seal stuck in it..Good luck on your rebuild , not hard but not easy , its all about detail !!!

Old 05-20-2008, 11:51 PM
99blueram
Rookie

Pa, Thanks for the info. The detail is why i am going to do this. Only way is forward. LOL