2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Universal Cat.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008 | 12:56 AM
kowboydmac
|
All Star
Default RE: Universal Cat.

that one shows up as 206 on my computer. I know it use to be 159 and I'd get it in a heartbeat. but if I can get by with that 119.99 price tag, i'd dig it. It has the pre slotted o2 slots as well.

Old 03-15-2008 | 06:07 AM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

just remember, you get what you pay for.
Also, if you tow regularly, I'd avoid the cheapy cats.

Old 03-15-2008 | 11:10 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: 98DodgeRam1500

Actually, to have the shop gut your cat and put in a universal with O2 is cheaper than getting the 2:1. No welding, just clamps. I got a labor quote for under $100, but didn't want to have it "rigged".
Technically, thats illegal.

When a shop puts on a new catalytic converter, the federal government says it has to be for a reason. Most shops just say the old one was clogged, even if it wasn't, like in cases where you wanted a high-flow. However, the shop, legally, has to have the old one that was replaced. The feds want the old cat.

I have also read a stupid law put into effect by the feds, although most body shops are unaware or don't care for it. If your truck didn't come with two catalytic converters, you cannot add an additional one (for example, if you want true duals).

Like I said, most people ignore that one. But if the shop places a new cat in your system and doesn't take off the old at all, it won't report the cat installation to the feds. So if they feds find out, the shop is looking at a big fine, hence most shops won't want to do it that way. I've even had one or two refuse to answer questions about true duals (back when I was looking at exhaust systems) because of that stupid "no 2 cats" law.

You can also get the high flow 2-to-1 Magnaflow converter on eBay for under $100 shipped. Most shops will charge you almost twice that much for a high flow.

Old 03-15-2008 | 08:40 PM
kowboydmac
|
All Star
Default RE: Universal Cat. - Game Plan v1.0

I found just the converter section for 95 off that motor city parts dodgeforum keeps kickin me too when I login, lol. Says free shipping. Think I'll grab that and the 50 dollar tune up kit from Summit and start from there. Then next check will probably be the plenum kit from APS for 160. I won't be driving but roughly 10 miles these upcoming weeks (job is located a mile away, work 4 days, 8 miles a week there) so I can spare the crappy performance for another 3 weeks, or 30 miles.

amazon has the Mr Gasket open air filters on sale now, might order the 10 dollar one when my check posts from friday.

Figure the cat will need to be welded. Hopefully I can get that done under 50.

Then going to wal mart and getting the mobil1 5 qt synthetic 10w30 for 22 and some autolite 3923 for (3 bucks a pack, 2 per pack) and that'll be 12.

While the oil is dripping out, I'll try to swap out my tie rod end's I've had on the side since November.

Looks like 10+95+50+160+22+12 = 327 bucks going into the truck the next 4 weeks.

Hopefully that will get back down to my future home, Polk County Florida.

Afterward, Shocks from Sears (whatever 200 dollars gets me), Sway bar bushings (40), Glasspack (50 pack, 50 install), Headlights (Halo - 150, or clear lense - 120), Headliner kit (50 from JCW), 6x9 speakers all around (100-140, whatever funds I have for either Alpine or Blaupunkt), Door locks (25 Rockauto) truXsport (235 off ebay), Rims (250 from Summit), Speed Boat Black paint job; highly metallic black (500 basic paint job).

So those I plan on doing within the year; which will be 200+40+100+150+50+100+25+235+250+500=1550+327=1877 in total this year.

If I still have the truck, then my new years gameplan will include; Dr Evil Transmission, Moog Suspension parts, Subwoofers, BFGoodrich Tires, Billstein shocks, 1.7 RR, 3.88 or 4.10 gears. That would total up over 7k, but I figure I'd have one of the best 2wd Ext. cab's so hey, that's the cost of business, lol.

Forgot to add the 52mm TB. I might get the 400 dollar holley, but would definitely like it if Fastman could work with mine (I have a broken head on one of the screws, so it works ok, just not as tight as it probably ought to be) So I'm not sure when that'll come into play.

Quick Reply: Universal Cat.