2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust Exit Styles

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 05:06 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Exit Styles

As many of you know, I am currently in the middle of a sticky situation with my truck, but to get my mind off of it, I was thinking ahead to the spring. I know I already have to replace my exhaust tips for the spring, so I've been thinking of what I want to do. As of now, both of my tips are really nasty looking, and one of them is very damged. The guy who installed my exhaust did a great job, but he welded a hanger to the tip itself, which was really retarded. Eventually that hanger became loose, and it's had to be rewelded three additonal times to stay, so that tips is really messed now. Anyway, I've noticed that the way I have my exhaust currently, it's very susceptible to becoming dirty from the rain, salt, snow, mud, you name it. Me and hometheaterman were discussing how we really love that style, but ourtips look like they are old in relatively short period of time/

So, what's your thoughts. I'm buying new tips in the spring. Right now mine are 4"x22". I want the hedmans, they are 4"x24". I didn't know what you guys think. Go with the same set-up and just keep after it, or go out the back like everyone else does? I want whatever stays the cleanest, but will still look good. I've contemplated one tips before each rear tire as well, just don't know if that will make the cab even louder. I'll show you a pic of what it looks like now, and what the old exhaust system used to look like when I first bought it. Suggesstions would be kickass of what your exit preferance is and would be a big help, thanks guys!

[IMG]local://upfiles/61042/F3479140E27E4C5B907610F32A485E7F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/61042/A2B7789A4AD2458DA6A5DF4439A0DBF0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-15-2008, 05:37 PM
tazman6789
Veteran
Default RE: Exhaust Exit Styles

i like the exhaust straight out the back

Old 03-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Silver_Power
Veteran

I prefer Dumped, or Side Exits.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:45 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

For looks I like the straight back but if u have to back out of a tight spot that can rub against the mountain like my trailer hitch does sometime.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:08 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran

I dig them the way they are now(that's how mine are too). I say you stay with that setup and just wipe them down every weekend or so. Straight out the back looks good too, but I think the angled look looks the best on Dodges. It could look cool if you angled them before each rear tire. I've thought about that myself just to make it louder in the cab. Anything to make it louder can't be bad.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:18 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious about this also as Neon said in his first post. I loved how my exhaust was so when I had it redone I had them do it the same way and these crappy Stainless Steel tips don't seem to hold up. I'm tempted to go back to chrome tips. I like straight out the back but everyone and their brother has it thats why I like it out the sides like ours are better. I'm thinking of maybe it would be good infront of the wheels too. I don't know I just don't like how if you spin the tires the exhaust gets coated in rubber than wont come off and anytime you go over mud or water or whatever it gets on there and ruins the tips.

I don't like the dumped style as I like to see the tips.

I hadn't thought about if backing up to a hill or going up a steep hill it crushing the tips. I don't think this would be a huge issue but it might as I've had a few times my drop his has hit the ground. Then again the exhaust won't be anywhere near as far down as the drop hitch.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain

I liek the way yours look now...

Infact, when I get my new exhaust this summer I am taking a picture of your truck with me, to show exhasut people the style that I want it to look, casue it was it exactly like that...

I dont understand why you are having problems with stainless... Keep em clean and they look good... If they ever do get nasty, good thing about stainless is you can polish and buff the hell out of it and you can keep going untill you run out of metal, becasue the shine isnt a coating. I bet if you took some green scotch brite to the tips they would come out looking good again (with the exception of not being as shiny from the scraches from the scotch brite) If you want it nicer than that just take some metal polish and polish it... not hard.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:34 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Ah man, I do love the dual sweep look. This winter really ****ed them up. We got so much snow so frequently, so I never wanted to waste money a carwash since it snowed every fricken 3 days lol. I'm going to get those Hedman Wazoo tips from summit, replace them, and just keep really good care of them. I love that style, I just can't let the road scudge get ahead of me. I also like the way that style exhaust blats off of people's car lol.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain

Are you getting the chrome ones or the stainless ones...

I would recomend the stainless because the chrome rust really fast. But maybe the chrome is better on those... my friend has some chrome tips and over the winter the tips are extrmely rusty.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:39 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

thats how mine are. keep them just like they are. straight out the back can interfere with towing a trailor, or boat because of all the exhaust that is being dumped on it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Exit Styles