2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Messed up inside door panel

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:20 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Messed up inside door panel

So...I replaced all my speakers and had to, of course, take off my inside door panels. Dethreaded from of the plastic things, replaced them put panels back on...now shakes and not tight. Any ideas how I can make it tight again before I pull out my gurilla glue in frustation?

Thanks! BTW rattling in back panel annoying the heck outta me...speakers vibrate on it I think.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:24 PM
notoes68
Default RE: Messed up inside door panel

When I put my door panels back on i just had to push in hard on where the door clips were so they would be snug up against the door. I'm sure you've already tried that, but it worked for me. Good luck.
P.S. I wouldn't use the gorilla glue, because I tried using it to fix where the clips hooked into the panel and the gorilla glue got hard and brittle and the clips broke off.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Nosaj

I had that same problem, like notoes68 said, make sure the panel is tight. You might need to replace the clips with new ones that you can get from any FLAPS. Also, you should make sure your speakers are tightened all the way and that the wires behind them cant bounce up against any metal pieces, some wires ties work good for that. In my truck, I noticed most of the vibration noise came from my **** on my window lever (cant remember what to call it right now). I hope this helps.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:24 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on replace the clips.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

FLAPS? is that just something I am totally missing or an autoparts place?

Old 03-19-2008, 10:32 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

flaps = friendly local auto parts store.
most everyone carries the plastic door panel clips. they're so simple that they wouldn't be too expensive even at the dealer. they're really designed to only be used once, but sometimes you can get away with more than that, sometimes not.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:36 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with these trucks is the crappy plastic Dodge uses. It's not usually the clips that break is the piece of the door panel the clips clip into.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:38 AM
pipeking
Veteran

i am ready to do mine what is the proper way to take off the door panels front and back.strait out, up/down,out+up/down.
now that you guys have seen what the door panel slips are like which wat do they go,i dont want to break them.of corse get new push ins

Old 03-20-2008, 09:39 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Get a panel removal tool and take an old clip with you to the auto parts store. The replacements will be black, not yellow and will have flat ribs, not the Christmas tree style ones like are in there now. What you're looking for is the correct length and size of the fastener top (the "button" that attaches to the inside door panel). Buy extras as you're bound to drop one somewhere you can't reach. I believe each door takes 13.

There are 2 kinds that are very close to each other. One says it works for Chrsyler, GM, Ford. The other says GM, Ford. Get the Chrysler ones. The Ford/GM only ones have slightly deeper fins than the others and while they will go in just fine, when you try to remove the panel again, you'll break the fins and they'll rattle around in your door as you drive. the Chrysler ones have 2 columns of fins that are just a little shorter and will hold just fine, but will back out easier the next time you remove them.

To install them tight just push on the door panel directly above the fastener with the heel of your hand until the panel is flush on the door.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Dtruck96
Professional

Just by chance anyone know where to get replacement panels? Mine are old and worn out.

Quick Reply: Messed up inside door panel