2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Baseboy391
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake manifold

so i have a crack in my intake manifold, and im looking to get a new one soon as the truck has been running funny the past few days
i have 38in tall tires and when i bought the truck i was told he put in a bigger cam, and long tube headers.
my question is what would be the best replacement? i would like something stronger so i wont have this problem again, and if i need a special on for the cam, just thought to ask before buy
Thanks

Old 03-18-2008, 02:01 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Default RE: intake manifold

find out the specs on the cam before you try to figgure out how to match your intake.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:39 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

My question is "How did you end up with a cracked intake manifold"? Those things don't break unless somebody physically beats on it or tightens some bolts too much or in the wrong torque pattern.

It looks to me like you're truck is set up for off-roading. I agree with Indy about finding out your cam specsbefore moving forward,but basically if you want to keep low end torque stay with the factory barrel style manifold. If you're looking for more upper end RPM, then the M1 intake would be your option. There is a lot of good information on this site regarding the M1 and on modding a barrel intake so do a search and see what you find.

Some of the off-roaders need to chime in with their recommendation as their experience with trucks similar to yours will be very helpful.

if you decide to go with another stock barrel intake do a search on www.car-parts.com. You should have no issues locating one for your truck.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:23 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

+1

Old 03-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Baseboy391

i know there hard to crack but my friend bought his truck with a cracked one and then crackedittwice in one year, he kept putting the stock one back on and he had the dealership do the 2nd one that cracked, so i didnt know if there was something about modding your truck is to much for that part, im almost 99% sure i can feel the air there but cant see the crack, by Friday im gona pull the motor apart and make sure its not on the headers, but there new long tube headers that arnt even 2 years old so idont thinkits them,
thanks for the help so far

Old 03-18-2008, 12:00 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

Where are these things cracking?

Here's a thought. Did the guy that had your truck mill the heads and/or your block in an attempt to increase compression? If so, he may have milled them too far as that would cause the intake manifold to not fit correctly. This could be the cause of your issue.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Mike Roma
Professional

ORIGINAL: turkeyhunter1962

Where are these things cracking?

Here's a thought. Did the guy that had your truck mill the heads and your block in an attempt to increase compression? If so, he may have milled them too far as that would cause the intake manifold to not fit correctly. This could be the cause of your issue.
I was wondering the same thing.
Somethings been milled, or warped, or something...

I've never even heard of one of these intakes cracking.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Mike Roma
Professional

ORIGINAL: Baseboy391

i know there hard to crack but my friend bought his truck with a cracked one and then crackedittwice in one year...
This is a different truck?
Two different trucks with cracked intakes??

Old 03-18-2008, 02:01 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

ORIGINAL: Mike Roma

ORIGINAL: Baseboy391

i know there hard to crack but my friend bought his truck with a cracked one and then crackedittwice in one year...
This is a different truck?
Two different trucks with cracked intakes??
The design of the Magnum head/Intake manifold connection does allow for this problem due to too much resurfacing of the mating surfaces between the heads/block/manifold. Is it possible that these two trucks, from what it sounds they are in the same area, had the same shop do resurfacing on the parts causing this problem?

Old 03-18-2008, 02:52 PM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's another option for an intake manifold. It might even have better low-end response compared to the M1. Anybody try this one yet?

http://www.hughesengines.com/partDet...p?partID=12869

Quick Reply: intake manifold