2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cheap way to make my truck faster!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 06:50 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I was gonna say press the pedal harder...But when you are towing with that 3/4 ton truck you should really stay under 65 mph.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:46 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Creeper
how can i make my 1999 5.9 v8 ram 2500 faster? but not spend a **** load of money?
not possible with our trucks. So when you see a dodge challenger revving his engine. Just sink in your seat and hope he doesn't see you. Unless you want to get beat so bad that you would need counseling for severe depression.

1. You own a truck, it will never be fast
2. The supply of manufacturers of aftermarket parts is very small. So that means less competition. That means Higher prices for us.

Example: F-1 airgap intake. Hughes is the only one that sells an aftermarket intake for our MPFI setup. it costs 599

Old 05-24-2010, 10:50 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

410 hp lol , you must have forgotten to put down your supercharger

Old 05-24-2010, 10:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by lastrights
410 hp lol , you must have forgotten to put down your supercharger
Nah, he just misplaced a decimal point.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:50 AM
BigDaddyRoss
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently no one has spent as much time with their truck then I have. Seriously you are wondering how I got an extra 190 hp out of a 318? Ok I will tell you why I said what I did. Now true TBS put in a stock truck dont do ****. But after all the other mods they make a lot of difference. And I had a guy do a professional tuning on my truck bc i didnt have the money to buy one myself and it was a 2hp difference from the jet. Thats why i say dont spend the money and get a cheap one. Also you wouldnt believe how much you can get out of your truck with increased air flow and less drag the headers themselves tho are what makes the most difference after you get that freed up and true duels out the amount of power you gain is crazy. Now please dont tell me idk what im talking about my truck is all I do, I know everything about it thats where i spend all my time. If you have any other questions just ask.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:52 AM
BigDaddyRoss

Oh and why i replied to a 2 yr old post, pretty much i was looking for something new to do and came across this and no one really gave the guy much of an answer.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:38 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

A Throttle Body Spacer will never make a difference no matter what you do because our trucks are Port Injected, not Throttle Body Injected like some of the late model Chevy trucks, that would benefit from a TBS. I, as well as others, would love to see the printout of your Dyno run.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDaddyRoss
Apparently no one has spent as much time with their truck then I have. Seriously you are wondering how I got an extra 190 hp out of a 318? Ok I will tell you why I said what I did. Now true TBS put in a stock truck dont do ****. But after all the other mods they make a lot of difference. And I had a guy do a professional tuning on my truck bc i didnt have the money to buy one myself and it was a 2hp difference from the jet. Thats why i say dont spend the money and get a cheap one. Also you wouldnt believe how much you can get out of your truck with increased air flow and less drag the headers themselves tho are what makes the most difference after you get that freed up and true duels out the amount of power you gain is crazy. Now please dont tell me idk what im talking about my truck is all I do, I know everything about it thats where i spend all my time. If you have any other questions just ask.
I'm sorry. I just have a VERY hard time believing you got 190 more ponies out of a 318 without doing any internal mods. Stock heads/cam/rotating assembly/intake manifold? Unless one of your external mods was a blower, I am not going to buy into it. Post the dyno sheet. Even then, I will remain skeptical.

Even a custom tune along with it is not going to get you those kinds of gains.

And the Throttle body spacer does absolutely nothing. Any "gains" you saw from that, on the dyno or off, are only variations that are normal between runs. You increase the plenum volume by a few cubic inches. (very few) It does nothing to improve air flow, or provide better atomization of the fuel.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:19 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

410hp crank from a genII Magnum 318 is impossible without internal modifications or some form of boost.
Jet stgII is a POS, I still have the one I installed in 98. ETs were slower on the 1/4m with it than stock pcm. MP PCM gave about 3tenths better ets than what it ran with the JET POS.
TB Spacer, do not work on multi port. Paper weights
Mass air flow sensor? No such thing on a Dodge Ram or Dak genII. We have speed density system not mass air.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:09 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

We have speed density system not mass air.
Maybe thats the way he got an extra 190 horsepower out of a 318 without internal mods? I know 190 hp is way out of the ballpark, but maybe 50-100 HP could be added by the conversion. Plus better gas mileage and overall performance.

Quick Reply: Cheap way to make my truck faster!