2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Drive your ratwagon im keeping my truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Drive your ratwagon im keeping my truck

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

So it definetly was worth it for me. The problem most people make is they look at buying a $15000 car that gets in the low 30's for mpg. They can't afford it, so they have to make payments on it which means they have to also pay for full coverage insurance too. Then they wonder why they didn't come out ahead. They would have been better off taking that same amount of money and just using it to buy gas for their truck.
That's the big problem with people. They don't run the numbers, and listen to the BS ads on the radio that claim "all that gas money you save will be making your car payment." Factor in FULL COVERAGE insurance, the monthly car payment, plus if they trade and are upside down, they would have to own and drive the car for more than 5 years just to break even.

My Ram and my VW are paid for. When I dropped the Ram to liability and added the VW, my rates decreased $25 versus the Ram on full coverage. The VW will be running a single port engine, which produces more low-end torque and will putt along all day long at traffice speeds. Plus, chicks dig funny little cars

Old 04-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Chicks don't dig Swifts for some reason. [sm=smiley36.gif]

I'm married so I don't really care what other chicks think anyway. My wife thinks it's hilarious. I like the money i'm saving more then I like having random chicks think my car is cool or not. Besides, I still have a pretty nice truck parked at home to boost my ego. I wouldn't want to only own the Swift, then I would just feel sad.

But if you want to save gas, and still be cool with the ladies, get a motorcycle.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:16 AM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jason15557: You live in Utah? You need to go CNG!! You could do the converstion on your truck for about 2000, and buy the fuel for 63 cent per gallon. It will not hurt your truck and you can switch back and forth between gas whenever you like. If you want to, you can get that thing called Phill and fill it from your house.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Just because you might be able to run on $.63 per gallon doesn't mean you burn it at the same per gallon rate that you do gasoline. For example, if it takes you 5 gallons of natural gas to drive the same distance you would with 1 gallon of gasoline, then there really is no advantage, escpecially after a $2000 outlay for the conversion. I'm not saying this is true, just something you would want to research before you do the conversion. Also, not sure if the new kits are the same, but in the old days, natural gas or propane conversion usually also came with a 15%-20% loss in power over running gasoline, and a significant loss of bed space.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:54 PM
wvjefo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+ 1 Silver The Accent is the daily driver. Back & forth to work. Weekends are made for the Dodge. Hauling, or just plain looking good.

If your truck is for work then I can feel the your pain at the pump. The only other reason to own a BIG BAD A$$ Pickup is for fun.

I am going to look into CNG though.. I knew some guys with that in their trucks 20 years ago so the tech / hardware side is solid.

Jeff

Old 04-30-2008, 01:00 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

Chicks don't dig Swifts for some reason. [sm=smiley36.gif]

I'm married so I don't really care what other chicks think anyway. My wife thinks it's hilarious. I like the money i'm saving more then I like having random chicks think my car is cool or not. Besides, I still have a pretty nice truck parked at home to boost my ego. I wouldn't want to only own the Swift, then I would just feel sad.

But if you want to save gas, and still be cool with the ladies, get a motorcycle.
AMEN !!! on the motorcycle , but im married to , throws that out the window .. The wifes laugh to that im driving a bike and a geo .. She laughing all the way to the bank... 10 bucks a week for the bike or 40 bucks every2 weeks for the geo or 90 + for the truck a week , thats a no brainer..Between the geo and bike was only 1600 bucks , I dont need the latest , greatest thats where some people get them selfs in trouble !!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 01:13 PM
dusty_duster
Veteran

CNG has more energy per volume than gas. So, if you normally use 1 gallon of gas to get somewhere, you'd use less than one gallon of CNG.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:20 PM
jason15557

ORIGINAL: 1BigRamaniac

Jason15557: You live in Utah? You need to go CNG!! You could do the converstion on your truck for about 2000, and buy the fuel for 63 cent per gallon. It will not hurt your truck and you can switch back and forth between gas whenever you like. If you want to, you can get that thing called Phill and fill it from your house.
ive done a bit of research on this - now keep in mind some of this data is very old ---

http://dnr.louisiana.gov/sec/execdiv/techasmt/alternative_fuels/cng.htm

Compressed Natural Gas Vehicles
Deptartment Of Natural Resources
Technical Note
by
T. Michael French, Director
March 2, 1990

Comparing Fuel Costs
“In weighing gasoline, for example, against CNG, the two largest areas of potential cost savings are fuel savings from different combustion efficiencies and different fuel prices.â€

“the two fuels must be compared on an equal basis.â€

Fuel Efficiency
“Results on fuel efficiency (miles per equivalent gallon) for CNG vehicles are not conclusive. Different tests and studies have varied results ranging from losses to gains in fuel efficiency relative to gasoline or diesel for vehicles converted to CNG.â€

“he weight of a modern lightweight CNG tank that can hold the equivalent of 5 gallons of gasoline is more than 150 pounds.â€

“Basically, a vehicle designed for and dedicated to CNG use only should be expected to have a greater efficiency than a gasoline or diesel fueled engine, with an efficiency improvement in the range of 5 to 15% relative to a gasoline engine. Results from converted dual fueled vehicles have shown a hodgepodge of results. Some have shown poorer fuel economy on both switchable fuels, poorer economy on CNG only, poorer economy on gasoline only, same economy on both fuels, better economy on CNG, etc. The safest premise is to assume no change in fuel economy for a converted dual fuel vehicle.â€

http://www.cngutah.com/why.html

How safe are CNG vehicles?

“We are convinced that you are much less likely of being injured by an exploding CNG tank than you are of being burned by an exploding gasoline tank. “

“Methane has a higher flash point than gasoline. 1300º vs 450-900º
Methane has a narrower range of combustion than gasoline (ratio of fuel to air)
Methane is lighter than air - it vents upwards - gasoline forms puddles and ignites from adjacent sparks.
CNG tanks have safety devices built into them to vent gas as pressure builds to prevent explosion.

CNG tanks are exponentially stronger than gasoline tanks.â€

“We recently drove a Ford F-250 from Ceder City to Springville. 207 miles for $7.42 in a 3/4 ton pickup.â€

Edit: another good link
http://www.iangv.org/reports-amp-pap...ne/view-2.html

Old 04-30-2008, 01:23 PM
SarcasticDwarf
Professional

ORIGINAL: timsalas

heh, Ive said this before and I'll say it again.. COAL!!!!!!!!!! lol we need to start diggin' for coal rather than oil lol.. then we can at least be back down to 2.5 a galon lol

Ahem

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...rates0429.html

Old 04-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Where's HankL? I bet he'll have an opinion on this topic that will be interesting to hear.

Quick Reply: Drive your ratwagon im keeping my truck