2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CNG compressed natural gas conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:29 AM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CNG compressed natural gas conversion

Go read this, stuff like this is good to know:http://www.mycngkit.com/ They can convert any vehicle, and set you up with a small fleet permit so you can buy cng anywhere. This allows you to switch from gasoline to cng even while driving. There is no one on this site that can't do the install.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: CNG compressed natural gas conversion

I've criticized this conversion before, but now I'm starting to reconsider it.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:46 PM
dusty_duster
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. The only problem is an 8-cylinder kit costs $1,200 without a tank. Add a 9.2 gallon tank, and it's another $2,500, for a total of almost $4,000 just in parts.

EDIT: I ran some numbers. Assuming you get 12 MPG combined driving, gas at $4/gallon, and CNG at $1 per gallon, it would take you 16,000 miles of driving to make the CNG conversion pay for itself. (This also assumes your gas mileage is the same when running CNG. Since CNG has more energy per volume, you should actually get higher MPG, which means the pay off happens even quicker.)

I'm starting to wish I had four grand to blow on this.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Dedmeat1

And then trying to find a fueling spot close enough. Nearest one to me according to their search link is at least 100 miles away. For now it would just be defeating the purpose of getting it.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:12 PM
dusty_duster
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Dedmeat1

And then trying to find a fueling spot close enough. Nearest one to me according to their search link is at least 100 miles away. For now it would just be defeating the purpose of getting it.
Unless you have gas at your house and install a "pump" there.

This would be ideal for driving around town. (Wouldn't want to use it on long trips. Where would you fill up?) But then again, with only driving around town, it would take a long time to reach that 16,000 mile pay-back point.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: dusty_duster

Interesting. The only problem is an 8-cylinder kit costs $1,200 without a tank. Add a 9.2 gallon tank, and it's another $2,500, for a total of almost $4,000 just in parts.

EDIT: I ran some numbers. Assuming you get 12 MPG combined driving, gas at $4/gallon, and CNG at $1 per gallon, it would take you 16,000 miles of driving to make the CNG conversion pay for itself. (This also assumes your gas mileage is the same when running CNG. Since CNG has more energy per volume, you should actually get higher MPG, which means the pay off happens even quicker.)

I'm starting to wish I had four grand to blow on this.
Yep. I'd have it paid off in about 6 months! There are about 4 stations within 30 miles of my regular daily route (Oklahoma City) where CNG is 91-cents/gal http://www.cngprices.com/

Old 04-30-2008, 03:45 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

I was also thinking about doing this to my truck, causemy family has there own gas well.

Didn't some Dodge Rams come with the compressed gas set-up from the factory? Everytime I get parts at Advanced the computer screen always has the option of the compressed gas 318.

Running just compressed gas would mean that you would have to have a 500 gallon tank to make any decent trip, Atwhat Psi does natural gas turn into a liquid state?

I would imagine that compressing the gas would also cost alot of money

Old 04-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wonder how the PCM would handle this conversion?

Old 04-30-2008, 04:35 PM
dusty_duster
Veteran

ORIGINAL: TheForce55555

I was also thinking about doing this to my truck, causemy family has there own gas well.

Didn't some Dodge Rams come with the compressed gas set-up from the factory? Everytime I get parts at Advanced the computer screen always has the option of the compressed gas 318.

Running just compressed gas would mean that you would have to have a 500 gallon tank to make any decent trip, Atwhat Psi does natural gas turn into a liquid state?

I would imagine that compressing the gas would also cost alot of money
Incorrect. CNG has more energy per volume, so you'd actually use LESS natural gas over a given distance than gas.

The largest tank they have is 9.2 gallons, and it is one big, heavy mother-trucker.

EDIT:
Oh, and natural gas is already under pressure in the pipelines, so compressing it isn't going to cost you anything.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:55 PM
mstephen89
Captain

when something sounds to good to be true, chances are that it is.

Quick Reply: CNG compressed natural gas conversion