2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Couple questions..

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 12:02 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Couple questions..

I don't think the speedo being off is causing it to shutter. I drove mine home from the shop with the new transmission which was about 20-30miles with my speedo still off and it didn't shutter or do anything else. The only thing it did bad was shift early as the tv cable needed adjusting. I still think you something inside the transmission.

I think the speedo just might make it be shifting at 50 or so instead of 45 like you think.

How much is the dealer charging to do this? If it's $80 or something like some guys seem to pay I'd pay the extra for a used Hypertech or something.

Anyway so if you hold it at WOT is it still wanting to shift into OD around 45? Mine will shift around there maybe a little later if I let off the gas to let it shift but as long as I'm on the gas which I am if I'm pulling onto the freeway it doesn't shift. It only shifts into OD around there if I'm off the gas to let it shift or if I'm not on it hard. If I'm on the gas like I want it to go it doesn't shift into OD around then. Your shutter may just be the shift kit if by shutter you mean just shifts a little hard but it really doesn't sound right to me. You need to tell them when you go in that you want them to write you up a detailed list up parts that were used in it. Don't let them just say it was all premium. Any shop that built a good strong transmission would be more than glad to do this for you although most probably would have done it in the first place. Once they do that post it up on here and we can tell you more what to expect. It's hard to tell you what it should be doing when we don't know whats in it.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:33 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it feels like the overdrive kicks in at the right time. When I merge onto the highway, I always try to avoid having to make it kickdown, so I just kind of crawl, so it makes sense that it kicks into overdrive around 45mph because I don't too much throttle going intoit. But it always just stutters into overdrive if I have gas going into it. If I'm in third and am making it rev high it will stay in third, but it's the casual acceleration where it will stutter on me, when I'm just trying to calmy get on the highway.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:39 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has kind of a hard shift sometimes like a jerk like the 1st to 2nd shift but I wouldn't say stutters and I don't have to get off the gas for it to shift. I think this is just normal from a shift kit if yours is what mines doing. Also you going to make them give you a detailed parts list? I for sure would.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:33 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 for that parts list.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:55 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i personally would take it to the shop and ask them to check it out. Even if you didn't pay so much money. You paid to have a job done make sure its right. I wouldn't mess withanything myself that just gives them something to say you messed with it and screwed it up yourself we ain't fixing it. Not saying theres anything wrong with it but better to be safe then sorry. Noticed a few things different about my truck after teh rear rebuild that I asked the shop about they said it had nothing to do with the rear but I still asked

Quick Reply: Couple questions..